Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #21
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Michael you got that right. My mom still has her circa 1980 microwave in the garage as a standby. It may not heat things up as fast but it still works.

I finally took all of the stuff out of my Apollo today and found some paperwork which needs to be sent in. The build date on mine is January of 2006. This came in one of the last 2007's they built. I sure hope this one doesn't have any problems.

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We replaced ours when it died with a GE JES1290ML01. It does everything the Apollo junker does plus it has a grill feature. It was very inexpensive to boot. Did put a muffin fan in with a on/off switch to keep it cool when using the convection oven part.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:41 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Apparently Keystone or at least Montana has a long term contract with Apollo for the ovens and consumers will be stuck with the oven till the contract expires.Although we now have a good one that has been trouble free for 1 year after 2 failed ovens, there is enough proof that these Apollo's are sub standard and have continued to be sub standard in spite of the vendors efforts to improve quality from the manufacturer.(somebody in China) The consumer, as usual, pays the price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #24
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Having to personally remove mine, as I preferred, is the electrical hardwired or plug-in in the back of the unit?

I also believe that we've shipped too many manufacturing jobs elsewhere. We are a "throwaway society" in so many respects. What I find interesting is I'm not even angered about a new unit I never got to use. I sorta expected a less than satisfactory outcome. I have set my expectations lower and they are even being realized! Wow!

Richfaa is correct. Keystone should step up to rectify a bad product being put in their units. Will they?

That being said, I also believe that American companies set the standards and as such, whether they be tires, microwaves or anything else made abroad, those standards are lowered by the companies. It's probably not China, Bangladesh or some other place, it's us. Does that make any sense? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:23 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Plug in back, easy to remove after removing the screws in the cover plate and removing it.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #26
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks Bingo for the input. Dennis
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #27
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
The Apollo arrived today and DW and I installed it. Second time we used it it kicked out. Did not kick out the circuit breaker. It went dead on it's own. I trip the breaker off and turn back on and after a bit the Apollo came back on and we will find out how it works tonight. Rich it has a build date of March of 04. The Montana is a 06 built in June of 05. New one was built Sept of 07. Time will tell.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Would it be a shorter list to write down all the items in the Montana that are NOT made in China?

Wonder if the Chinese are driving around on Goodyear tires and eatin from General Electric microwaves laughin thier derrier's off at us!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #29
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Interesting how many times this issue has been cussed and discussed. There was another thread wondering if anyone from Montana reads the forum. Since Apollos are still being installed as OEM, then the answer must be NO!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #30
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Believe me, this is a topic with Montana as well. When the Big Sky was announced last year at the RV show in Denver, I asked the Keystone Rep if it had an Apollo oven. He laughed and said "you must have been reading MOC". He said the Big Sky would not have the Apollo as it is a full 30" oven. Apollo is the only company that makes a front vented 23" oven, so they are stuck with them for now.

My neighbors Big Horn has the same Apollo.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM   #31
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
With our Montana in storage right now, I removed the Apollo unit and brought it home. The Apollo MidWest rep in South Bend walked me through some issues. While only the clock worked, I found that the seal inside the door of the unit was not in correctly. The rep indicated if it was not, the unit would not work.

For two days now the unit functions correctly. The only thing not tested by Judy and I is the convection part. I forgot the metal tray in the rig to use.

The MidWest rep indicated that if if did not respond then Sears comes and repairs or decides it has to be replace.

Question: do we have to order the metal tray from Half Time or can a similar product be bought, say at Walmart, etc? Tks Dennis
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #32
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Mail2us, I think I would use what is supposed to be used. I also talked to Lynn today about our 1 day old APOLLO and she is sending out the part that is bad and setting up the repair person to repair a new unit. The seal on this one is wavy so I wonder if it bad also? I guess one thing at a time. I really hope that we get this fixed because as much as I have seen them cussed and discussed they are a great unit and DW really likes it. I just wish that they would make a good product that was a lot less trouble. Lynn is a great person to work with.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #33
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Another Apollo bites the dust...
We purchased extended warranty so we had it replaced for $100.00 deductible....
It is too bad the unit does not last longer because they are great inventions.
Date of Mfg on new unit is Sept. 07... and we just received it...
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #34
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That is one of the reasons I also purchased an extended warranty. Ours has no deductible so at a rate of three or four Apollos a year I figure the extended warranty will pay for itself with Apollo ovens!!!! (I figure if I constantly joke about it, I will jinx the failure into not occurring............we'll see if this twisted logic works.........I know it will work until Easter anyway, since rig is stored for the winter)
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote