Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Belly covering

Has anyone had any problems with their belly covering cracking and then coming out from the bolts or screws holding it up? I noticed today while repairing one spot that the whole one piece of covering had come loose from just behind the wheels. It litterly pulled out from the bolts. I took the bolts out and put them back in with an 1 1/2" washer on it and snugged them up. Before snugging them up, I made sure the covering was in the correct position and then snugged up the bolts! Anyone had this problem?

Ron

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No Ron, that is abnormal, to have that much movement points to other issues. That is a puzzle, sounds like too much flex.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Since I'm a newbie, OZZ, how do I check for that? Haven't done anythig wrong in the way of setting up that I know of. Would the slideouts being out without support under the outer edges cause that? I was looking at the Camping World ad that just came over the net and saw some supports for supposedly slideouts and that was going to be my next question. Do I need to buy some of them if I have the slideouts out over any extended amount of time? The most I've had them out is about two days at any extended period. It almost looks like the belly covering is warping some. I see no reason for that unless whoever put the Artic package (foil and etc)on it may not have put it up tight again! I think it has been on since it was delivered back in 2004 and I'm the third owner now! The owner previous to me had to sell it because he developed a neck problem and could not turn his head to back! Not good! Anyway, hope you or some other of the longtimers or fulltimers have some answers for me!
Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it the warping factor, I did not know it was warped, the wind on highways along with the warping of the bottom covering would cause your problems. I do not recommend the slide supports, it is not good to support the slides according to my recall.
I think you are good with the washers, a nice fix for the problem. They should buy you time, obviously, the fix would be new bottom covering. If it is tight there with no air leaks, or gaps, you should be OK.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well we'll keep our fingers crossed! I was suppose to go to Colorado this past weekend and glad I didn't! Now it is fixed and I'll be able to keep an eye on it! I'll keep you informed! Also, thanks for some of the idea on the modifications. I hope to do some of them on our 2980 RL. Have already put some racks in the basement to extend the storage space a little over the stepdowns! Anyway got to go-- talk at you later!

Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Leaving the slides out for extended periods is not a problem

NEVER, EVER use seperate, external supports for the slides. (This has been discussed here before.) If they are supported and anything hapens to cause the coach to settle will cause severe damage to the slides. The coach is made to support the slides but the slides are not made to support the coach.

Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I put fender washers underneath the heads of all the bolts holding the belly covering up. This really will save the holes in your covering. Additionally, if you find the need for removing the covering more than a few times, the holes will be protected by the washers.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote