Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Toronto SP, KS

Any info re the above appreciated. We will be in the Totonto Point (Cross Timbers) CG area. I have checked the reviews (below), but first hand and current info is always the best.

Thanks

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:06 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
PJ, it's been several years since I was at Toronto Lake. At that time, if I recall, it was a nice park. Electric and water hookups (if I recall) but few or no sewer hookups. They would have a dump station, however.

Toronto is east of Wichita and roughly 125 miles south of Topeka. In that general area, my absolute favorite place is Big Hill Lake near Cherryvale, KS. It is south and a little east of Toronto. There are two COE parks there, or maybe it is one COE and one State park. In any case, both are nice but the one on the east side of the lake is beautiful, heavily wooded but still should work for your satellite dish, if you have one.

In the SE Kansas area, I've mostly been to Big Hill. The others I've been to maybe once. They're all pretty nice, or were a number of years ago. The exceptions were Fall River Reservoir and, farther north, John Redmond Reservoir.

By the way, I know there is a Walmart at Independence, KS. Cherryvale is tiny and won't have much more than maybe a mom and pop market and a restaurant and some houses. By the way, Vivian Vance (Ethel on The Lucy Show) grew up in Cherryvale.

All of these parks should have both electric and water hookups but few, if any, sewer hookups. They all have dump stations, though.

Hope this helps a little.

Steve
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ and Nan, did you end up at Toronto? What did you think of it? It's been a long time since I was there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
"Cross Timbers" state park... as it is now known, is a beautiful old growth timbered park, on a fairly small flood control reservior. If you are going to go there Call "Sis" (Yvonne Nordmeyer)the secretary or the park manager Doyle Niemeyer, and ask them about the amenities. http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/sta.../cross_timbers (620) 637-2213
The crappie there are ginormous, and may still be biting.. The white bass are over... as to what is biting NOW... you can get hooked up to the fishing report from the page I pasted above!..... Anyone want to know ANYHTING about the state park system, email me direct. (I spent 16 years there).
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, did you go to Toronto SP?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve: There right now. Beautiful park...Wilson Lake, over towards Salina-Hays, is beautiful, and a much more open lake and area. Water there is crystal clear and full of smallmouth bass. Toronto is "crappie heaven" and a few catfish and largemouths.

We will be here for another 10 days, then headed to Carthage, MO, to the "Big Red Barn" RV Park for a few days..

No (that's "zero") local TV station via the batwing antenna. One real faint signal, but unusable. Sanme for my neighbor, so not just my rig. Glad we have the satellite!!

Cell phone service is non-Verizon, so no data link available. Using the nearest librayr, which is isn Ytes Center, 13 miles away,

but air conditioned..probably get here every 3 days or so for computer access.

Safe travels, best regards,

Old 06-07-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, you have me totally confused. Toronto SP and Yates Center are in southeast Kansas. Wilson Lake is between Hays and Salina but is in northwest Kansas. The water in Wilson Lake is very clear, the clearest in Kansas. It's also known in Kansas as an excellent striper lake. I will assume you are at Toronto SP since you went to the library in Yates Center.

We've overnighted twice at the Red Barn RV Park in Carthage. Don't remember much about it other than they give the Passport America 50% discount. You will be very close to one of the largest RV Salvage businesses in the country. Colaw RV Salvage - www.colawrvsalvage.com . I've never stopped in but each time we go by there I swear I will stop "next time."
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve: Sorry for the confusion...We are at Toronto...but, first, we headed East from C. Springs and ended up in Limon, CO due to a small problem with the Dodge. From there, we revised our travels so as to go to Wilson Lake (between Hays and Salina) for a few days, then finally made it to Toronto SP, in the SE of KS, our "original" destination, abolut a week behind schedule.

I should have been more clear on the transition between talking about being in Toronto and the commments about the great water at Wilson.

Went to Iola yesterday to attend the 135th consecutive year of band concerts in the Town Squareand partici[ated in the ice cream social afterwards. Today, we had the $1 lunch at Frannie's in Yeats Center ...cost another $1 for a piece of fresh homemade pie for dessert....Spent less for a full lunch, drink and dessert than for a latte at Starbuck's (which they DON'T have around here). God Bless the Heartland!!!

Headed to the "Big Red Barn" in Carthage from here, probably on Monday, the 19th of June. Stay in touch!

Best
Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ and Nan, where do you go from there? We arrive in Kansas City on the 19th (late afternoon or early evening). We have an appt for the house on the 20th, then will go see my folks 120 miles west of KC on the 21st. We'll leave there the 5th of July. So if you happen to be coming up that way...

If you think you'll be up that way, email me. I'm not always on here despite how it appears...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve: Carthage, MO (Big Red Barn) 19 June for a week, then south to Monte Ne on Beaver Lake, Arkansas (NW corner of AR, east of Rogers) for a week, then Wynn Creek (just South of Fayettville) for 5 days, then to the Little Rock area (Naumelle COE park) for a week, then NE to Michigan...