Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #21
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
opps, slow computer led to double posting

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #22
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Yep, me, too. Unhooked the 5er before the landing gear was extended. I was in the one place in my sorage facility with a slight slope to it, done it several times, etc...etc... Fact remains, it was a severe brain freeze on my part. No damage to Monty, but a nice dent in the truck. No one was hurt but I felt like an idiot.

Welcome to the club.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #23
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I was talking to the owner of one of our collision repair shops and he told me that he gets 3 to 4 trucks in a year to repair the damage from dropping 5th wheels. and this is a very small town. So don't feel alone.

I keep thinking about getting a bed saver...

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I just put my bed saver on yesterday.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #25
TexasTraveler
Established Member

M.O.C. #7892
One thing I've worked hard at is teaching everyone (wife, family members, friends, and unsolicited advisors) to do is to stay clear of the area between the trailer and truck bed on all three sides (each side and rear). I'm the ONLY one who goes there regardless of the problem or circumstances. And when I do it, I'll personally make sure it is safe to do.

Dropping the trailer is one thing, and I've done it too. But I sure don't want any hands, arms, heads or other body parts there when it happens.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #26
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Bill, sorry about the drop; but, glad you didn't have any more damage than you did. I just bought a Blue Ox Pin Lock Bedsaver from: http://www.hitchfinder.com/products/...Slider,BXR5100 .
Hitchfinder has the wrong picture on their web site for the Pin Lock. It is of the original Bedsaver.

You can look on the Blue Ox site: http://www.blueox.us/BedSaver/bedsaver.htm
down at the bottom, they show two pictures. The left picture is of the Bedsaver and the right picture is of the Pin Lock. I think the Pin Lock is a better option. It doesn't seem that it would put as much stress on the hitch when a drop does occur.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is no stress on the hitch when the camper drops as it drops into the bedsaver...However..I have seen many bedsavers installed too low. Tne pin should drop smoothly into the bedsaver with maybe a 1/4 inch or less drop. We need to raise the pin over the bedsaver to unhitch. Installing the bedsaver too low will, IMO. place to much stress on the bedsaver should it drop. The pin lock does sound like a better option
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #28
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ehmcfarl

Hey Bill, sorry about the drop; but, glad you didn't have any more damage than you did. I just bought a Blue Ox Pin Lock Bedsaver from: http://www.hitchfinder.com/products/...Slider,BXR5100 .
Hitchfinder has the wrong picture on their web site for the Pin Lock. It is of the original Bedsaver.

You can look on the Blue Ox site: http://www.blueox.us/BedSaver/bedsaver.htm
down at the bottom, they show two pictures. The left picture is of the Bedsaver and the right picture is of the Pin Lock. I think the Pin Lock is a better option. It doesn't seem that it would put as much stress on the hitch when a drop does occur.

Buddy
Makes me go HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I was looking at the pin lock yesterday and when I placed the order for the bed saver they told me it wasn't available on the Reese hitch for a 16K. I ordered it locally through a dealer.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #29
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Anyone found a bedsaver for use with the turn over ball and companion fifth wheel?

The list of "stuff" I need for the change from a Class A to a 5er is getting real long.

Sheesh!!!

Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I don't want to go into my gory details when I dropped our CC. Good news is, no damage, bad news is I am a member in good standing of the dropped 5th wheel club.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #31
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Y'all can be called, "The Droppers."
Myself, I'm a "Tailgater."

Buddy sent me some pictures of the install and I'm going with the Pin Lock. It has a smaller footprint.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #32
up2nogood
Established Member

M.O.C. #8293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is no stress on the hitch when the camper drops as it drops into the bedsaver...However..I have seen many bedsavers installed too low. Tne pin should drop smoothly into the bedsaver with maybe a 1/4 inch or less drop. We need to raise the pin over the bedsaver to unhitch. Installing the bedsaver too low will, IMO. place to much stress on the bedsaver should it drop. The pin lock does sound like a better option
I asked that question a few days ago about the 2-3 inch drop because in the pictures thats what it appeared to be, to me that is too much weight to be falling 2-3 inches before it makes contact, that would have to be hard on the bedsaver and the nerves, its bad enough the bedsaver had to come into play in the first place. I may get it here from some members, but I am in a position to build my own which I will, mainly because I trust my welds more than I do someone else,and it is a very simple device. I would like to custom build it, there are things that I want to change. . On April 12 I have been in the steel fabrication business for 40 years with the same company ( yes I know thats a long time )and retirement is close . When I get this built I will post pictures.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #33
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
On my bed saver after the install and the hitch head is pivoted all the way back towards the tail gate it is at the same level as the bed saver. When I gave it a test it was actually pretty smooth. I was no more than the clunk you get when hitching up.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #34
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Glad to hear that your lesson didn't cost much more than a little wounded pride. As you walk around the campgrounds where you travel, take a look at the trucks parked by the 5th wheels and you'll find that you're not the founding member of an exclusive club. Happy camping!
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #35
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Hey Bill, sorry I am just now getting back to this thread. I have been out of town a few days. The Blue Ox Pin Lock is available for the Reese 16k hitch. I have one installed on my hitch. The Blue Ox model number for the Reese 16k hitch is: BXR5100 . I installed it myself. The only problem I had was that it was such a tight fit to the hitch (which is a good thing) that I had a little problem getting the bolt holes to line up. But, once the holes lined up everything went pretty fast. You need to know that one thing that slowed me down is a bum knee. A little slow crawling around in the truck bed these days.

Buddy
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #36
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I went to the Blue Ox site and was surprise to see that they have a Bedsaver for a 16K Pullrite Superglide. Has anyone with this hitch added a bedsaver? I didn't know they made it for this model.

Thanks
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #37
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The bed saver came in and I went and picked it up today. It wasn't very difficult to install. Here is a photo of it.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #38
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Bill, thanks for the photo. Seeing the installation "in the flesh" will help when we install ours. Yes, ours. For us, the bedsaver fell into the "Do you really think we need one?" category until I started paying more attention to the consequences of not having one. Ours arrived last week and will be installed before we hitch up again. I searched the web until I found the best price for the model we needed--and it was on sale at a price that beat the other sources by a minimum of $40. Then I received free shipping because that week, all orders over $150 were shipped free. I ordered from Draw-Tite on a Tuesday and had it on a Friday. What a deal!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #39
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
Just installed the blue ox bedsaver. Had to raise the height on my 16k husky fifth wheel hitch. Need to know torque for reinstalled bolts. Dave
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #40
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have a 16k Husky (non slider) made by RBW, torque on all bolts is 65 lbs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote