Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
harrykapp
Established Member

M.O.C. #7657
Wheel Bearing

Do you have the wheel bearings repacked or put grease in the easy lube fittings? What is a good rate to have the wheel repacked. They told me hear $300.00 that seems high and I am tempted to just grease them. Thanks for the help

harrykapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
There have some posts on this in the last few weeks. 200-300 is not out of line to have the dealer do it. What ever you do DO NOT PUMP GREASE INTO THE ZERK'S AT THE END OF THE AXLE OR DO NOT LET THE DEALER DO IT. What will happen is you will blow out the axle seals and then a whole lot of problems will happen that you don't want. Either you or the dealer should remove the hubs,knock out the bearings and pack them by hand and install new seals and remove the Zerk so as not to pump grease into the hub and blow the seals. Do it like in the olden days. You do not need to fill the hub with grease. Just pack the bearings.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I don't remember reading anywhere NOT TO GREASE USING THE GREASE ZERTS. I do remember reading not to use a power grease gun, but to use a hand gun. Read the Dexter info, or call them. If I remember correctly, one shot once a year, and a repacking by hand and seal replacement at 12000mi rings a bell, but check with Dexter. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with hazmic on this one. I'm a part timer and do mine every other year, pull drums, knock out rear bearings, clean up, check cups -n- cones for pitting, pack grease into cones, check shoes, wiring, reassemble, spin each one as I progress around rig and use an old brake controller w/harness I wired to check brake operation...on completion of last one...I'm ready to go into the wilderness!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

I don't remember reading anywhere NOT TO GREASE USING THE GREASE ZERTS. I do remember reading not to use a power grease gun, but to use a hand gun. Read the Dexter info, or call them. If I remember correctly, one shot once a year, and a repacking by hand and seal replacement at 12000mi rings a bell, but check with Dexter. Kerry
Me too.

They are like Buddy Bearings used on boats, designed to accept grease from a hand operated grease gun. They are built to be lubbed that way.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Check this out, pg51 & 78, along with all the other info. A good thing to print out and keep with you. Kerry

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...-07_72_res.pdf
Old 10-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
With all of the post regarding packing wheel bearings, I have yet see any reference to the specific wheel bearing grease to use.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
The Dexter manual I posted addresses this; pg48. Kerry
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I corrected my previous web address for the direct link to the service manual. Kerry
Old 10-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Another good associated manual

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Appli...-06_72_res.pdf
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
DONnANNIE, In kerry's post, the PDF link page 48 calls out the grease specifics, and Approved sources. Can't figure out how to copy and past it here, or I would.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:30 AM   #12
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Very good and helpful info here! Thanks, all.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The EZ lube hubs and available grease zerks tend to invite trouble. Because there is a zerk, folks want to grease it.

Two things happen - folks either pump too much grease in there and push the seal off the back, or they pump a little bit of grease way to often and they push the seal off the back. Once the seal is pushed back, the additional grease is going into the brake drum.

Unless you are backing your Montana into the lake to launch it 30-40 times a year, I don't think those bearings need a whole lot of attention. I tend to just leave them alone. I've been using the zerks moderately on my boat trailer for 14 years and I've never had to repack, nor have I blown a seal or lost a bearing/spindle (knock on wood). I pull and inspect every year. To me, the process of cleaning, repacking, and reassembling unecessarily actually increases the potential failure. The only problem I have ever had with a wheel bearing was when I repacked them every year.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I do my Tana and truck bearings myself for two reasons. First I don't trust someone else to do them the way my Dad taught me. Clean them in diesel to get all the old grease out, then use a compressor to blow them out. Check the rollers for wear or any rough spots. Secondly, doing it myself, it gives me a chance to inspect the brakes and the under carriage. I always use synthetic bearing grease on the RV and on my truck. I get the seals at a local trailer supply store that sells parts for horse trailers etc. The seals are cheaper than Napa or Discount Auto and I think the quality is as good or better.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Kerry,

Thanks for the great information.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with hazmic. The zerks are there to allow us to self lube. However, WE (me, and others) have a tendency to over lube. "One pump is good two must be better." What happens is you will blow out the seal, will get grease all over everything. Why do they put the EZ Lubes on the rigs? Because we will buy them. I also agree with another poster that you won't find anywhere it says not to use the self lubes. If you can be frugal (and I mean frugal) with the grease you're okay. But believe me, almost everyone over lubes. As for the bearing buddies on boat trailers, they are there, not to hold the grease, but rather to prevent water from getting to the bearings when the boat trailer is backed down the ramp to put the boat in the water. The EZ lubes are not much different, other than to allow you to use your grease gun. Take it from one who has had the experience, don't use the EZ lubes. I've had mine removed and chalked it up to another experience.

But people should do what they see fit to do. If in fact they experience the same thing I did, then they can't say that they weren't warned.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I was just looking at the Dexter manual posted by Kerry, and it says to pump with the grease gun until you see fresh grease coming back into the outer ring! Not this kid !! - If that seal in the back fails, fresh grease will not be seen until the entire brake drum is filled. I think the instructions only work in theory, but never really work in practice .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I will say this; we use this (Dexter Procedure) in our shop, and so far we haven't had any problems. We don't use a power grease gun. Kerry