Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
Alaska in 2007

We are new owners of a Mountaineer 303RLD and will be towing for the 1st time this year (former class A MH'ers). Our first trip other than the shakedown cruise will be to head out to Alaska from IN around the end of May. Those of you who have recently made this trip....I have a 2006 GMC HD 2500 extended cab with small (20 gal) gas tank...should I put in an aux tank? What about staying in pull outs along the route in BC, Yukon and Alaska? Good idea or not or are Provincial Parks and RV parks a better option. Have genset which I could take along so that is not a problem.
Any other tips you'd like to offer. We plan to spend 3 months or so on the trip and make it as full as we can. Won't do the inside passage due to $$$$ however.
Thanks in Advance!

IU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
You will get a variety of answers on this topic. Quite a few MOC'ers went to Alaska this past summer. I have a generator, I camped anywhere I could find to fish and stay for free. I also have a 50 gal. saddle tank in the bed of my truck. It saved me some money and a choice of paying less for fuel than having to get it whenever I needed it.
You will not have any problems finding fuel or campsites, but having options is never bad.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
Thanks David! We plan to just stop where there is a space not only to save $$ but also just to relax and enjoy the view or the fishing or whatever along the way. I was considering carrying extra 5 gallon containers of gasoline but decided that might not be too save so will likely go with an aux tank in the truck bed. I will likely used a 12v pump but not plumb it in since I may want to completely remove it on occasion.

I imagine we will see several others along the route so if there are any MOC'ers on the route feel free to stop and we'll swap stories or whatever.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Howdy Gerel,

Doesn't the GMC have room for the Aux. tank to be added under the Bed?

I wanted to add one to my Dodge and I thought My Dodge was the only one that didn't have room for one.

At say 9mpg towing your only good for about a 150 mi. before your cheeks start to tighten up a bit. (Been there)

Had one added years ago to an old TV with the elect. switch and loved it.

Have a wonderful trip

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Gerel, I, too, have a GMC 2500 HD SB and had a 45 gal Transfer Flow, OEM tank installed under the bed. Small change in gas gauge but otherwise works great. You do have to consider the extra weight. I plan on filling only when I have a long haul to make. As far as Alaska, it is beautiful however, we are leaving all this beauty behind this June and leaving for good. You will enjoy the Last Frontier as I have for the past 13 years. Long winters and sons in Phoenix and San Diego are our motivation to leave.

Can't help much on roadside pullouts but I would get a copy of the 'Milepost" handbook. This is a MUST. Tells you where everything is on the way to and from Alaska.

Good luck on your trip and enjoy the "Last Frontier". If there is anything I could help you with please feel free to contact me.

BTW: Welcome to "The Family" of MOC'ers.

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
IU Fan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6629
Thanks Phil. I have been wearing out my copy of the Milepost and it does give every bit of info people rave about. Our only concern about staying at pull outs is the safety issue but will just have to follow our instincts.

I have looked at the 45 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank for my GMC and I really like the idea except for the fact that it seems a bit pricey at almost $1000 + installation. I may go with a 35 - 40 gallon tank in the bed with a simple hookup so I can remove the tank if I need/want to. That won't be nearly as handy as the Transfer Flow replacement but is easier on the budget for sure.

If there are some things that we should know not to miss, etc when we are up that way, please let me know so I can make sure to put them in our trip plans.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Some places I would go back to: Mt Mckinley (Denali National Park), at least three days. We went up and back on Alaska Railroad. Up was fun but back was long. McNeil River Bears, Homer, Seward is a great little fishing village. Kenai fishing is great but very crowded. I go to Deep Creek and fish off the Salty Dog with Tim Rebischke, great captain. Knows the spots also. River's Edge in Fairbanks is a nice CG. Flight out fishing is a blast if you've a mind to do that. They outfit you with everything. a little pricey, but everything is up here during the tourista season. The Milepost will give you a great overview of what's available. Great visitors center on fourth avenue also....

If you plan on fishing and taking back your catch, you might want to invest in a small freezer, if not you can have it mailed to arrive when you return home.

I'm sure you will enjoy it as everyone does. Oh BTW, best food in Alaska is at the "Double Musky" 30 minute drive south of Anchorage, but very well worth the trip......Have fun and enjoy. Give me a call when you get here we may still be here for awhile 907-830-6282.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We agree with the Double Musky but be prepared to wait in line. The 30 minute drive to it is awesome.

Do try to include Hyder at the end of your trip. Watching the bears with the salmon was really something but I think you have already read our journal so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote