Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Cool, Colorful Colorado

We left home (hot, humid East Texas) on Saturday afternoon and spent the night a really nice small RV park near Whitesboro, Texas: Sunshine Ranch RV Park. On Sunday, we got up early and drove long to cover the many remaining miles in Texas, then made it to the top of Raton Pass in New Mexico before stopping for the night. I had always admired the RV park at the top of the pass where the RVs perched high over I-25, so we camped there for the first time.

Here is a photo of THREE Fifth Wheels: two passing on the Interstate, one coming up and one going down; and the third is the rear of our Montana in our campsite at Cedar Rail RV Park where we had free WIFI and a view: PRICELESS!

http://dwilliamson.com/pass.jpg

A better view of our Montana in our campsite at Cedar Rail:

http://dwilliamson.com/pass22.jpg

On Monday, we had a leisurely breakfast and then an easy drive up through Westcliffe, CO, Salida, CO, and on to Buena Vista where we are set up in our daughter's large side yard.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David,

I can tell you're from TX, we're "suffering" with the heat up here in CO, or at least we think we are so it's nice to be reminded it could be worse. Of course in the Salida/Bueny area it probably is much cooler than here. Nevertheless it's not supposed to be almost 100 in June.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice pictures, David. The middle RV, going up the road, looks like it could be a Montana of the same year or so as yours.

Have a wonderful visit with your daughter. That free parking must be nice. Safe travels.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Yes, Mac, we have noticed that it is 'warmer' than usual during the days, but the nights are entirely different than we would be experiencing in Texas in the June heat and humidity. We had a great day on the Arkansas River yesterday--our very first time though we have been coming to Buena Vista since the 1960s. And we did get the report that Denver set another heat record yesterday.

And, Judy, I think you may be right. Wouldn't that be a nice coincidence. I was looking through the viewfinder and did see the RV coming up the hill (greatly reduced) but the appearance of the second RV going down was a matter of pure serendipity. We are having a great time. Our daughter and her friend took us down the river yesterday.

I will just add that it was a very busy day on the river yesterday. At one time we could see boats 'stem to stern' all the way ahead of us and all the way behind us on the river. I will not yield to the temptation to give a 'ministerial estimate' of the number of boats, but there were many!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David,

Of course we are a little spoiled here, we're used to a 50 degree swing. Doesn't everyone have 90+ during the day and 50 at night????

mac
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
You have that right, Mac. We needed heat this last night. We got the races started for FibARK (First In Boating on the ARKansas) and will go down to Salida later today for more festivities.

Can't resist sharing my pleasure in my first trip on the river:

Old 06-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David,

That's great stuff! I did an Outward Bound thing several years ago, 55 miles on the Yampa and Green River and a 12 mile "hike" across the dessert. Overall it was a five day adventure and something I'll remember forever, I still have lasting friends from that adventure.

mac
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Still having a great time in Colorado, camped on the banks of Cottonwood Creek, west of downtown Buena Vista. Cost for a week: $0.00 (for the campground space -- in our daughter's side yard)

For those who might be interested, I have a gallery of photos I took yesterday on a hike up toward Cottonwood Pass:

http://dwilliamson.com/trail/trail.html

Old 06-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Got room for another Montana there?...just kidding of course. Great pictures!!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote