Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Finally did it... another project ... long overdue

We've had this Montana High Country 375FL for a bit over 4 years now and one problem we always had with it was with the bedroom closet access.

Our closet is located along the back wall (rear) of the camper. The two middle panels are slide doors and the two outer panels are fixed (not movable). This makes accessing anything behind them, including the clothing, very awkward having to reach behind that fixed panel.

Another forum member posted this thread some time ago: click here. which gave me a lot of hope that eventually I could do something with those end panels to make the closet more accessible.

However, I did not like the idea of removing the panels completely and installing a curtain in their place. I think, it was just a matter of time until I got tired of the inconvenience and finally decided to bite the bullet and just do something. (besides, my wife pushed me on this one too.)

OK, so here is what the closet looked like before I did anything. And, actually, this is what the closet looks like after I did the modification. And that was what I was really hoping for, there would be absolutely no noticeable change (there are, but only slight).

If you notice, I did a modification to this closet shortly after we purchased the Montana 4 years ago. On our maiden voyage, that closet shelf collapsed completely. I learned there were only 4 screws in the styrofoam wall that was holding all that up. After quick fix, I ended up adding that board in the middle for structural support. On each end, I added uprights also, supported from the base. Then reinforced the shelf itself. In the next 3 1/2 years following, we never had a problem with the shelf again. I have additional supports on the ends also; photos below:

Here is the result (and success) after doing my modification:

This photo also shows the uprights I added for the self and cloths bar on each end.

Doing this modification mean removing all the trim pieces that were stapled behind those panels originally, and then unscrewing all screws attached to the trim. That in itself, was a major challenge.

Next, the panels themself ran from the bottom of the floor of the closet to the top of ceiling, fixed. This mean removing them and shortening them so there would be space for them to actually roll on rollers.

I did not want to disturb the middle doors or remove anything that held them in place. But this mean, I had to cut the panels inside the cabinet so they could be lifted over the trim holding the sliding door in place.

Then I took the panels to my garage and did my magic carpentry on them. Shortened them enough they would fit back in and allowing room for slide rollers.

Well, like every other planned good intention, not everything goes the way it does in your head. The law of physics still prevails ... No two objects can occupy the same space at the same time! So true.

It took several modification, several attempts to install the roller, hanging and rehanging because things were just not lining up right.

It took over a week to cut new lumber, sand, stain, and polyurethane for new trim, supporting parts. But the end result was finally success.

Here's what the hardware looks like. I copied the design of the original doors, with slide rollers affixed to the top and the bottom of both doors:

Well, in conclusion: The wife is happy! And, because of this little enterprise, we went through all our clothing and all the massive amounts of STUFF we had piled in the closet. We took everything in the house, and now we start all over again restocking our clothing, blankets, sheets, bath towels, and a bunch of other stuff (that hope does not come back into the camper)!

Thank-you so much Juudede for inspiring me to finally do this! Without your post, I would have never, ever done this!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Awesome job Dutchman! From outside the closet, it looks factory installed...
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Juudede
Established Member

M.O.C. #19478
Closet modification

Great job. I'm the member who posted the remodel with the curtain.
Juudede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #4
Juudede
Established Member

M.O.C. #19478
You're welcome.
Juudede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:21 PM   #5
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Great project idea! Thank you for sharing!

Don
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Looks good