Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 10:23 PM   #1
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
3 month trip to New England

Hi everyone, well Cindy and I had a great 6-month Grand Tour of the West Coast and several National Parks last summer. Now we are planning a 3-month Grand Tour of New England for this summer. We plan to leave the Jacksonville FL area around June 1st and spend about two weeks getting to Northern Pennsylvania or New York. We are seeking information and advice on great places to camp and play tourist from NY north to Maine. We like to drive around 200 miles and park for 3 days to a week depending on what there is to see in the area. Any advice for good routes for a big rig and RV Parks for a big rig is appreciated.

Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Hi Ray & Cindy! We lived in Jacksonville, FL for 23 years before moving to the up-state foothills section of SC.

I’m originally from Maine and have traveled there from both FL & SC. I can’t tell you how to travel through the large cities and their metropolitan areas; we’ve never done it with our RV rig.

We vary highways from time to time, especially if we want to visit Foxwoods in CT. Basically, from FL we go up I-95 to I-26 to I-77 in Columbia, SC and then on to I-81. You can take I-81 into PN then decide how you want to avoid the large cities. Boston has a belt system. It’s best used on a weekend. Once around Boston we use mostly US & state highways and roads to avoid tolls and the congestions.

From our SC home we take US-25 & I26 up to I-81 and then I-79/US-19 all the way to Erie, PN. Then we just travel rural roads along the lakes and St. Lawrence River all the way to VT where we connect with US-2. Then you’re on your own because there will be a lot of short distance state and rural roads used to get to the Atlantic Ocean in Maine.

RV Parks & CGs we’ve used on those routes.

The new Green Acres RV Park – Walterboro, SC Exit &57
The Barnyard RV Park, Lexington, SC
Fort Chiswell RV Park, Max Meadows, VA
Dixie Caverns RV CG, Salem, VA
Johnstown KOA, Johnstown, PA
Korn’s CG, Middleton, NY
Beckley Exabition Coal Mine CG, Beckley, WV
Odetha RV Resort, Bozrah, CT
AA Royal Motel & CG, North Tonawanda, NY
Coles Creek SP, Massena, NY
Apple Island RV Resort, South Hero, VT
Whit’s End CG, West Ossipee, NH
Beaver Dam CG, Berwick, ME
Walnut Grove CG, Alfred, ME
Timberland Acres RV Park, Trenton, ME

The only one without a FHU is Coles Creek SP. They do have a modern black tank dump station When leaving the CG.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We did something similar last year.
Gettysburg. They have a driving tour and an app to see the local battlefields. Stayed at Drummer Boy Campground.
Philadelphia, so much history to see here. Clarksboro KoA is the closest Campground.
Boston area. Toured cape cod, Martha's Vinyard, USS Constitution.
Salem. Dark part of our history here. Took the salem witch museum tour. Lessons to be learned.
Maine, Bar Harbor. Acadia NP. 157 miles of hiking and biking trails. If you have bikes you will use them here. We rode about every other day.
New Hampshire, Flume Gorge, Mount Washington weather observatory. Ride the Cog Railway.
NY, Niagara Falls.
Michigan UP. Mackinac Island.

This year we are taking the same route i95, and staying at many of the same places but are heading up to Nova Scotia for a month. Hopefully many restrictions will be eased before then.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
An interesting place we found was the Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage site in PA near the border. There are a lot of canals, etc in the area. My wife's ancestors had a grist mill on the river in the area near Freemansburg so we were looking for things along the canal.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you are a civil war buff, then there are several sites to see off interstate 81. In Maryland, there is antietam that is worth the visit. Gettysburg in pa is great. Frank lloyd Wright's Falling Water house is worth a visit. Interstate 76 and 83 were kind of rough in spots, but that was a couple of years ago.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
While in PA don't miss Lancaster County and the Amish communities.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:42 PM   #7
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
Nice CG in Gloucester, limited availability (with FHU) for big rigs (call ahead). From there easy ride to Hammond Castle (Manchester by the Sea) and Salem. Train station close by for touring Boston sights.
2014 RAM 2500HD SLT LB 4x4 6.4L SRW
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour View Post
Hi everyone, well Cindy and I had a great 6-month Grand Tour of the West Coast and several National Parks last summer. Now we are planning a 3-month Grand Tour of New England for this summer. We plan to leave the Jacksonville FL area around June 1st and spend about two weeks getting to Northern Pennsylvania or New York. We are seeking information and advice on great places to camp and play tourist from NY north to Maine. We like to drive around 200 miles and park for 3 days to a week depending on what there is to see in the area. Any advice for good routes for a big rig and RV Parks for a big rig is appreciated.
The west coast is big rig country, the east coast not so much. If you belong to Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome, you just set the search to your length and can see what is available. I did a search for <45ft. slideouts allowed and found 96 sites in ME, NH, V.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:25 AM   #9
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
This year we are taking the same route i95, and staying at many of the same places but are heading up to Nova Scotia for a month. Hopefully many restrictions will be eased before the

They just announced on the weekend that ALL RESTRICTIONS re Covid-19 will be lifted on 21st March!!!! Welcome to Canada & Nova Scotia!!!!! j PS Make reservations before arrival
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
This year we are taking the same route i95, and staying at many of the same places but are heading up to Nova Scotia for a month. Hopefully many restrictions will be eased before the

They just announced on the weekend that ALL RESTRICTIONS re Covid-19 will be lifted on 21st March!!!! Welcome to Canada & Nova Scotia!!!!! j PS Make reservations before arrival
Thanks for the info!!
Yes we have made all our reservations. We have printed out the current checklist and gathering all our documents in one binder.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful country
Old 02-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #11
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
If you have any questions I would be very happy to answer any questions re our Province(s) (--NS,NB,PEI--) ---via private or forum messages etc Each province have tourist travel guides that can be mailed out to tourists....I do not know if you can google them for 1-800 tel numbers from USA & request same...I assume so! Jim
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:22 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
If you have any questions I would be very happy to answer any questions re our Province(s) (--NS,NB,PEI--) ---via private or forum messages etc Each province have tourist travel guides that can be mailed out to tourists....I do not know if you can google them for 1-800 tel numbers from USA & request same...I assume so! Jim
Thanks, sent you a PM
Old 02-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #13
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
During your travels, don't forget about intercourse........Intercourse, PA that is! It's a quaint little town in Amish country east of Lancaster, very near Bird In Hand, PA. Possibly the most photographed city limit sign in the country
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
Smile

Thanks all, if anyone else has something to add, we would appreciate it.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 03-07-2022, 05:51 AM   #15
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We winter in the south and head north in the spring to Upstate NY. I avoid BA-WASH zone of I95 at all costs. Generally, take I81. If we use I95 in south, we cut over I64 and pause a night a Walnut Hills in VA where 64 connects with I81. After you've enjoyed Civil War sites and Amish country in PA you can either cling to I81 to central NY or cut over I78 to NJ and then take I87 north, however that is a toll road till Albany. Once in the Albany area, Saratoga and Lake George has much to offer for both tourists and RVers. From Albany you can go I90 East into MA and New England. I'm not too familiar with that area but I know there is much to see and do. Reservations in all these areas may prove a task during the summer season, but a little planning will go a long way.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #16
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
On the road again (almost)

Well the RV is out of storage and into a local RV park for cleaning and loading for our 3 month journey. Leave June 1st. Will visit friends and family in SC, NC and Virginia before going up I-81 through PA. They up to Plattsburgh, NY (Day trip to Montreal maybe) for a week. Then across US 2 to Bangor, ME. Then down the coast for a month before heading west across NY from New Haven to I81 again. No NYC, Philly, Baltimore or DC. Still interested in any good information anyone can give.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 05-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #17
Seaulayter

M.O.C. #30127
We stayed at Croton Point Park several years ago and really enjoyed the campground. The Croton-Harmon Trian Station is at the entrance of the campground. You can park your truck there and it's a little over an hour ride on the train into NYC. Not much help on routes,
2019 GMC 3500 SRW
Seaulayter is offline   Reply With Quote