Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
On the road, but not with camper

The wife had a business meeting in Wilmington, Delaware (Monday and Tuesday). Her company paid for the motel and rather than flying, she decided to drive, and since I'm retired, of course, came along too.

We left Central Indiana on Saturday, the 21st of May and drove to Morgantown, WV, traveling I-68. We chose this route to avoid all tolls.

The travel was magnificent. We drove the gasoline powered (little) Colorado truck and got about 26 mph (not bad).

When we hit Maryland, I was greatly impressed. It seemed about every 20 miles, along that route were signs for another State Park. I was really impressed with the beautiful country side, the low mountains, and how nice and smooth the interstate was.

We reached our destination on Sunday, the 22nd, and Monday and Tuesday my wife had her business meetings about 2 blocks from the motel. We brought our doggies with us (Pet friendly motel - Hilton), and we've been enjoying food, and sleep, and some really nice walks.

Not knowing this area at all, first time ever in Delaware, we couldn't locate a campground that seemed to be within close proximity of here company's headquarters office. That why we opted for the offer for a motel, otherwise, we'd have brought the camper.

So, curiosity got the better of me and I started researching those state parks in Maryland. And it seems we'll never go to any of them under the present situation. It seems, most of them have campsites with a limit of 25 foot RV. I suppose I could reserve 2 sites and maybe fit my 41 foot Montana in sideways? Oh well.

I'm still trying to convince my wife we purchase a truck camper just so we can go to some of these places, but she won't budge out of the Montana! We do love that camper!

So, we are heading out about 10:30 (Tuesday - Today) after her last meeting and going to Middlesex, NJ. To make a long story short, my younger sister was born in 1948 when my dad returned from WW2. He was assigned to Camp Kilmer, and back then, Middlesex was just a borough. (I guess like a county).

I contacted the American Legion there they were very helpful getting me in the right direction to find the original spot where the camp was actually located. Some Google searching and I found several locations, including the medic station, where I think, my sister was actually born. Of course, all this is changed now. But some of the original barracks are still there.

So, anyway, to make my sister happy, (and I'm curious too), we're heading there later today (102 miles form where we are at), and then heading back to Indiana where we'll be on the road again for another 3 weeks with the camper, taking off this Friday night.

So, I suppose the intent of this post is simple information. The Interstate I-70 (East bound) from Indianapolis and I-68 through West Virginia and Maryland, and then back on I-70, across some non-interstate roads for about 80 miles ... all would have been easily traveled dragging that 41 foot fifth wheel.

However, diesel prices are $5.99 here in Delaware! Make me glad we didn't bring the dually!

Happy Camping! Gotta run and pick up my sweetie now!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=DutchmenSport;1251640]

"I'm still trying to convince my wife we purchase a truck camper just so we can go to some of these places, but she won't budge out of the Montana! We do love that camper!"

Same here. My purpose is for getting into places the monty will never see. Surprising how many slide ins are too heavy even for the 3500 with a 12300 gvwr. I would say most srw trucks are overloaded especially if they have a slide out. Anyway, good luck.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You appear to be a pretty good ole boy with lotsa info for traveling ... I dunno why the following item bothers me so. I'd guess we all appreciate your info for travel opportunities, but I'd surely hope you would not post when, where, and how your life plays out down to the mile marker. There are people online that can read your itinerary and potentially do a goodly amount of harm to you and yours.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
JNLVaughn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29819
Curiosity.... What part of Indiana?
JNLVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote