Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
missymoo60

M.O.C. #28044
Holding tank

I have a 2002 Montana 3575RL.
I need to know how to turn on the pump for the holding tank. Where is the switch, how does it work etc.

missymoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
More than likely you do not have an automated pump to drain the holding tanks. Motor homes often do have pumps, but very, very few travel trailers and fifth wheels have pumps for draining the tanks, unless you attach a mercenator pump to your tank outlets.

Here is a basic YouTube video of how it's done. The location of your drains will be different, but the steps are identical.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are four holding tanks on your Montana. I assume you are referring to the fresh water tank and not the black, galley, or shower tanks.

If you are hooked to an external water source, there is no need to turn on the water pump switch. There should be a switch on the main panel (or sometimes near the kitchen area on some models) labeled "Pump" that will energize the pump that draws from the fresh water tank. The pump only comes on when there is a demand for water, aka an open faucet.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Oops, I never even thought about the fresh water tank. I guess my brain is in the toilet!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
missymoo60

M.O.C. #28044
I am hooked up to city water but my hose is frozen(very cold winter)so we have no water. We filled the fresh water holding tank but there's nothing happening.
I'm new to all of this and have no idea what I'm doing!
missymoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Have you located the switch for the fresh water pump? If yes, can you hear it run?

There are drain lines which hang down through the belly in those years. If you have been in the cold long enough, they have been known to freeze blocking the flow of water. A heat gun will thaw them.

You probably need a heated water hose form the spigot (well isolated or heated) to the coach.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
In the Forums there is a section "brrr, its cold out there. Winter camping".
Lots of good info.
For cold weather you will need a heated hose and heated spicket. Some people add pool noodles as extra insulation for the hose.
Some recommend letting the water drip to prevent freezing freshwater hose. Some have experienced flooding due to the sewer line freezing from the water dripping into it.
Ok now for the freshwater tank.
You need to sanitize it before using it. Look that up separately.
Ok, use your freshwater tank, need to fill it. Then turn the valve back to normal flow. Then turn on the pump switch on your control panel. It should light up when on and you will hear it run for a few seconds until it comes up to pressure, then turn off.
When you open a tap, water will flow and the pump will kick on again.
What is yours doing?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Ok, use your freshwater tank, need to fill it. Then turn the valve back to normal flow. Then turn on the pump switch on your control panel.
As this is a 2002 model, there is no convenience center and/or valve to turn. Water is added via the hose bib coupling on the left rear. And this model may have the pump switch near the sink in the kitchen.

But without responses from the OP, we are all guessing.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Have a 2003 RK3295, fresh H2O pump switch on cabinet at rear of unit. Assume, at least hope, this is tank you are referencing as there is no pump to drain any holding tanks. Draining done via gravity for all tanks.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote