Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DISH local channels

When you are on the road - how do get DISH to get switch your local channels for your RV? I found out today.

If you have DISH at your S&B and in your RV, and you want the local channels as you travel - you have to call them and give them the zip code for where you are camped.

If you ONLY have a DISH mobile account for your RV only - you can go on MyDish app and fix your location yourself.

This may have been discussed here in the past but I missed it. I always saw folks sort of arguing about it...you have to call DISH...no, you can do it with the app on the phone.

I bought a new Wally and I was activating it today and I asked her if I would be able to change my location for local channels with the app...and the answer for me is - NO because I have a home account with the mobile add on. I have to call them to change the locals every time.

I also found out that cost of the mobile add on changed effective January 15 (last week)...the cost for mobile add on account is $5/ month...whether you use the the mobile account or not. We have not traveled for a year (thanks COVID) but it used to be $8/ month ONLY for the months that you used the service. Since we did not travel for the last year I paid $0 for the service for the RV. Those days are over...just thought I would let you all know. It’s now $60/year if you want your black box to be activated in the RV.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We have had Dish since 2013, and when they originally set the account up, even though we never had a home account, we pay ahead instead of like the accounts that you can manage your locals with the app, so the app is worthless to us. When we arrive in a new location that we will be at for a while, I go on the computer, open up my account and get on their chat. I have a canned beginning:

We are in an RV and have moved to a new location, so we need our service address ONLY changed so we can get the local channels. Our new location is

and I then add the address of our new location. They will ask a few questions, account number, name, maybe something else, and it only takes a couple minutes and they have changed our location. Once this has completed, I always log out and then back in again so I can verify they have actually made the correct changes, including leaving our billing address as it is supposed to be. Very rarely do I have to call again to get corrections made. Sometimes they will say that I can make these changes with their app, and I respond that the account is not set up as an Outdoors RV account. We are full time, so this works for us as we never shut down the service.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DISH stuff

...I will add that I have no idea how much a “mobile” account only costs ( with no S&B account). Our S&B account is $188 or so based on the packages I have to get the few channels we like to watch...so the RV will add $5/ month to that whether we use it or not. Feels like highway robbery. I would be happy if the channels we watch cost $60/month. I think I will look into this again...IIRC the problem was getting a package that included all the Hallmark channels. But that goes back to “Happy wife happy life”.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We have had Dish for about 3 years, but I use the home type dish. Sense we only move every 6 months to 2years for work I have dish come out and reset up the service. I have been looking at the King Pro Wally thro but I’m still on n the fence. As far as local channels when I don’t have the dish set up... the digital antenna pros pretty good if your with in range of a town or city

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
I don't know if this works or not, but when we were on DISH (at our home account), we used an OTA (over the air) adapter to get local channels thru the antenna, when our DISH was down. This actually puts the local channels in your guide, so they are right there. I do not know if the guide uses location (zip code) to figure out what to put in there.

I don't know which receivers this works with, but this is actually my CL listing if anyone is interested in this method:

https://wichita.craigslist.org/ele/d...254472109.html

I have a wireless Joey, for your second or third TV, if anyone is interested in one of those...
Old 01-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Simple, all you do is call Dish, tell them your new service location including zip code, reset the receiver sometimes but not always needed. Not your billing address, that doesn't change. We do this all the time as we travel.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
We have a S&B account and make a call when we are at a campground after the dish is pointed with a signal. They activate the 2 Wallys and update any software. Last time I left a campground, I called to get them deactivated and get returned to our S&B local channels. All was good when I got home but when I logged in yesterday, they still were showing the street address of the campground but my city and zip. Had to have a chat to fix that.

So the OP is saying that Dish will now be charging a monthly fee for the RV Wally account even when not using it? Is that $5/mo/Wally? That's just wrong. Might be dropping my home Dish account for the cable channels that supply our internet. Or taking a look at DirecTV again.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have always just called since I started doing that before there was an app. But I have heard that the app works well.

We originally had the RV as an add on to the home account. But our daughter and grandson moved back in with us several years ago and I quickly found out that if I changed the locals while in the RV, it also changed the locals for the home. And of course they would lose the home local channels if we were out of the home area. So I separated the RV on to its own separate account and just pay by the month for only the months we use it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #9
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
So a couple of questions. I get charged currently $8/mo/Wally (when using). Is the new $5/mo an add on to that? And where is it listed in the bill? My most recent bill dated 1/22 does not show this additional fee.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have always just called since I started doing that before there was an app. But I have heard that the app works well.

We originally had the RV as an add on to the home account. But our daughter and grandson moved back in with us several years ago and I quickly found out that if I changed the locals while in the RV, it also changed the locals for the home. And of course they would lose the home local channels if we were out of the home area. So I separated the RV on to its own separate account and just pay by the month for only the months we use it.
I was told that the app would allow me to activate and inactivate the two Wally receivers at will. I've not found that to work yet.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We have Dish at home and in the rig. Just checked my Dish bill, the price for our Wally receiver in the rig was just lowered from $7 a month to $5. At only $7 a month we never removed the mobil receiver from the account. It has been easy to activate the mobil receiver online or on the phone app without calling in. We do need to call to change local chanels.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
ntxnewbies

M.O.C. #18036
We just call DISH and change our zip code to where we are and then when we return home you have to do it again.
ntxnewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:25 AM   #13
Tlove
Established Member

M.O.C. #22692
Just logged in to my home Dish Account. Did a chat with an agent. Local channels changed no problem.
Thanks for the info Mikeanddebbie
Tlove is offline   Reply With Quote