Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #21
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
There are several approaches to this depending on the BBQ you have and whether you want to use low pressure propane (after the regulator) or high pressure propane (before the regulator). My approach - my BBQ was designed for disposable bottles like yours. That means it has its own regulator and requires high pressure propane. On the door side (DS) tank I put a "T" before the regulator. Then i went to a propane shop and had them make a 3' pigtail hose with a threaded fitting for the"T" on one end and a quick disconnect (QD) on the other end. Then I had them make a 6' hose with the other half of the QD on one end and the threaded fitting like the disposable bottles on the other end so that it can screw right into the regulator on the BBQ. I normally keep my propane set to draw from the ODS tank. That way I can turn off the valve on the DS tank and not lose propane when not using the BBQ. When setting up, connect the long hose between the QD and the BBQ, Then - SLOWLY - open the valve on the tank to start the flow of propane. While the empty hose fills, you can hear the safety valve in the tank try to engage. When the hose is pressurized, the clicking will stop and you can then light the BBQ. To avoid being sprayed with propane when disconnecting, after the last use of the BBQ, leave the BBQ turned on and close the valve on the tank. This will born all the propane out of the hose. If you do happen to open the valve too fast and the safety valve engages, turn the tank valve off and disconnect the green end of the pigtail to the tank. Give the safety valve a minute of two to reset and then hook it up again and try again. I've been using this approach for years. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #22
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I guess i forgot to cover the other situation - a BBQ without a regulator that needs low pressure propane. Some Montys have a place to connect a hose to the low pressure gas line. If yours doesn't, a propane supplier or RV shop can easily add one. then all you need is a hose that will reach from that point to where you want to place the BBQ.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #23
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
We just have a 5' hose that we disconnect one of the tanks and connect the grill.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #24
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
I have the road trip gas grill. I bought a hose on Amazon that has a quick coupler on one end and the regular grill fitting on the other end. It’s that easy!
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #25
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
Thanks for the detailed info. I figure it may take some fabbing to construct this. I do electric, large scale, but I do have friends on the gas side. Possibly if I get an assembly together someone more in tuned with threading pipe can make this streamlined, safe and efficient.
Thanks to the folks that added good advice.
Could you post which model Coleman you have?
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #26
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The open port on the T automatically shuts off. It does not have to be removed; just my preference.
I bought brass caps that fit the end of the unused hose. They seal the end and keep it clean. They also work on the 1lb bottles that leak when disconnected.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Refill...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #27
CLBoehme

M.O.C. #24889
Here is the attachment that should work with your grill. Remove the regulator and add the fitting shown to grill. Then attach hose to grill and plug in quick connect to trailer. I have this same setup for a blackstone griddle that had onboard regulator and it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42A61A12-7A4B-4F23-8CC1-1E0D32AB2B16.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	8174   Click image for larger version

Name:	0FD51367-E2BA-4FDE-9284-7FFD19EC297E.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	8175  
CLBoehme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #28
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
I use a T. Purchased two hose's one for cook stove and one for grill. No longer use the stove and cap it at the T. Works great. Purchased in 2003 and could not find a T, a hose supply store made up the T. No longer use the stove and cap it at the T. Works great. Now T's are common over the counter.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #29
Roy & Georgia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27061
Like the idea of a T on the feed line side of the regulator. I have that basic setup for attaching a 100#er as a backup. We have a cutoff valve so when it’s not connected we just close the valve. You should be able to install another T, gas valve and hose that fits whatever stove you might want as long as there is a regulator in that line that’s compatible with the stove. VERY IMPORTANT!, check ALL connections with soapy water for leaks! Soapy water in a mist sprayer works great.
Roy & Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #30
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
Hello, While swapping out the small Coleman tank on our portable gas grill we like to use I wondered "what would it take to rig up a hose" that will feed the grill off the camper tanks instead of the small swap out tanks"? Has anyone tried this? If so what are the supplies needed?
Unless you hook up directly to your RV propane tank, your grill will not work connected to a propane connection off your trailer. Your trailer is typically a “low pressure ” system and your grill is a high pressure system. I carry a separate 20 lbs tank to run my grill and other propane appliances like my propane lantern. You can get propane hose extensions in various lengths at most any sporting goods store and most hardware stores, and dual hose adapters. Amazon, Walmart, and lots of other on line retailers stock these items
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote