Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Leveling help

All we have a 2021 Keystone 295RL with an LCI auto leveling system.

Our issue is how do you level the RV without the tires leaving the ground?

We placed shoring in th back after the “out of stroke error”. The slope in minimal at best from front to rear. But yet the rear levels bring the back end up so high the tires come of the ground.

Any help on techniques would be appreciated.

Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have spent a whole winter with both tires on one side 3 inches off the ground and many other times they have been slightly off the ground. Have never had an issue or a reason to worry about it. I just carry some blocks so the jacks can reach the ground.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Is the ground you're on paved or uneven dirt/grass? If the ground is that unlevel, it might be the nature of the beast. You could reset the leveling system and start again from scratch. Another idea is go into manual mode, and level it that way. As you manually level it, it will show you the degrees you are at. It sometimes works faster in manual mode than going auto.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Thx Bartman. We are learning (self teaching) the manual process.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
DQ, everything I read and watch states tires should never be off the ground. Thx for the feedback. We are self teaching us to do it manually. Sometimes getting it 90% level and tires on the ground seems safer for us.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlates View Post
All we have a 2021 Keystone 295RL with an LCI auto leveling system.
So you have a High Country which comes with the electric leveling system. (the are two LCI leveling systems: electric and hydraulic - and they are different).

You must be on on heck of a slope if you can't manually level without the wheels coming off the ground. Is another site, more level, site an option? In this case the automatic function is doing its job. By going manual you are stopping the leveling process before you become uncomfortable.

You need to ensure you are level enough for the RV refrigerator. It doesn't like operating off level and it will damage it.

I have, and love, the hydraulic leveling system. I have absolutely no qualms about it leveling with wheels off the ground. But the hydraulic system has tremendous lifting capacity.

The LCI Ground Zero electric system is not something I am familiar with. I would hope it can support the RV with the tires off the ground but I have no idea. But between having a wheel off the ground or my RV refer out of level, I would choose being level with a wheel in the air. As it is, how much weight do you think that wheel is supporting with your RV "almost level"?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
After doing a little research, both the landing gear jacks and the middle and rear jacks on the Lippert 3.0 system are rated 5,000 lbs, so, with six jacks, you have 30,000 lbs of weight capacity, which, unless you are waaay overloaded, will easily handle having some if not all the wheels completely off the ground. Our hydraulic jacks are quite a bit higher rated, but either system is quite capable of getting you rig level, tires on or off the ground.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You all must be doing something I'm missing then. I deliberately attempted to raise a tire off the ground just 2 days ago and my electric jacks were really, really struggling to left. I had blocks under the jacks as close as possible when I started, so they had lots of room to "lift". But they seemed to really struggle actually lifting. I was lifting both rear at the same time, hitched to the truck, front jacks up. I was attempting to lift only 1 side, as an attempt to check a tire. Couldn't do it.

I ended up building a wooden ramp that one tire could roll up on and leave the other one dangling in the air. It worked great by the way.

But for the OP? The only way you can keep the tires from coming off the ground is by putting either lumber or lego blocks under the tires. This will make give more distance on the low side that's closest to the ground. Then block up the high end with lots of lumber and the high side jacks won't have to extend so far.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Yeah, the funny part is the slope between the front jacks and the rear is the slope is minimal. We are not overloaded. Only about 1500lbs of weight added. We only have x4 sets of leveling jacks not 6. Just a concern that I had watched on YouTube about wheel being off the ground. Thanks for all the feedback
Old 12-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
RETCHIEF
Established Member

M.O.C. #23886
I contacted LCI and was told to never allow tires to come off the ground. I use wheel blocks to get within a few degrees of level and the systemdoes fine. It has worked for me to start with the nose down about 2 degrees and then hit Auto-Level.
2017 Ram 3500
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
I just back in and check the slopes. Then I pull forward and put some leveling blocks down to raise the the side or back to near level. Then put blocks under the leveler jacks and hit the Auto Level. It has seemed to level and the tires remain on the Leveling block. The other way you can do it is....Back in, hit the Auto level. When the tires come off the ground you will know how high you need to build up the tire blocks. Manually raise the side lifting the tires further off the ground. Put blocks under the tires and re level the rig. The tires will rest on the blocks and you will fixed up.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
CLBoehme

M.O.C. #24889
Had same problem beginning of this year with your 2020 HC 330RL Got the out of stroke error too. I manual leveled the system and then re-zeroed the system, after which I lifted back jacks, raised front jacks and did an auto level. Everything worked fine after that.
CLBoehme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I see lots of replies that advocate letting the wheels lift. I have also read the Lippert documentation that says then hydraulic jacks are not for lifting wheels off then ground. When my hydraulic leveling goes nuts (only happens when the site has a pretty good slope), I invoke manual leveling and get it level and then I'm done. I would never leave wheels off the ground.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:26 AM   #14
Wentpostal

M.O.C. #27632
We sometimes have the problem when ground is minimally unlevel . My husband thought he should start the leveling process with all legs on the ground... that’s when the problem happened. Start with rear retracted and the front like you came off the truck. It may also help to rezero or calibrate the lippert system to zero again, particularly if you do it when no tires are off the ground. Does your system do this all the time?
Wentpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #15
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
I always level the wheels before I do anything with the jacks. I dont like having my suspension to be cockeyed anyway. I stay for extended periods and having more weight on one side or the other is not good and can make complications down the road. Im not an expert but with the way they build these things im not taking any chances on my 80K rig.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #16
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Montana and High Country are like apples and oranges when it come to levelup. The Montana hydraulic system is significantly more capable.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #17
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
1/4" per foot slope is 10" in the length of your trailer. wouldn't take much more to get the tires off the ground. I have run across several surprises that looked not too bad!

Mark
Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #18
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I use a Level Mate Pro now to assess the campsite. Sometimes moving left or right or just a different position make a difference for leveling. Easy to do with the Level Mate Pro.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote