Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Checking in from St . Louis as a possible future owner

Greetings all, from a potential fellow Montana owner. Been eyeing up a 3731 with the legacy edition option. Currently a fiver owner and have a 17 F350 KR DRW, so in good shape there. Obviously the 3731 means we're looking at the residential refer, mainly because she wants an ice"maker", not just ice trays. Other options we're looking at are the gen prep, slide toppers (a must), and dual pane windows. I'm on the fence with the tire upgrade, it seems the Sailuns have a better track record. Feel free to offer your input on any of the options as well as the floor plan. Below are a few questions I have off the top of my head, if anyone is inclined to chime in on them, or link me to any relevant threads. I know about the search bar and will be using it as well.

1. Are the Montanas a keyed alike unit, aside from perhaps a 751 key for 1 or 2 doors?
2. 3rd AC prep - is the actual AC a factory option? Whisper quiet? Ducted or blast unit?
3. Exactly what switches does the InCommand touch pad replace in the 3731?
4. Does everyone's awning clear the dinette slide with its slide topper awning?
5. Does the dinette slide kill the patio awning's ability to tilt/auto dump?
6. Does the auto cord reel make you lose any space inside?
7. Anyone upgrade to 40# LP tanks, or able to verify if they'll fit?
8. Is only the refrigerator outlet powered by the inverter?
9. Is there a separate battery for the inverter? Is there room for multiple batteries?
10. How well does the stove/oven ignition work? She's really looking forward to the oven!
Whoaaaaa.....didn't realize I had so many questions.

THANKS everyone!

LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Welcome to the forum! There is tons of useful info on this site and others are adding to it daily. Don't have your specific unit so can't answer your questions.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
1. No, but they can be. I have separate keys for both doors
2. 3rd AC I believe is direct vented, not whisper or ducted, but I could be wrong. I only have 2
3. I don't have InCommand, but I believe just about all
4. Yes awning will clear slide with topper installed. just touches the top.
5. No, awning will still tilt some and auto dump, what you loose is space under awning.
6. Unknown
7. no
8. yes, that is the only outlet powered by the inverter
9. no separate battery. just whatever the dealer gives you. some give one, some give two. Yes the battery box that is factory installed will hold 2 group 24 12V batteries. any more than that or larger capacity batteries and you will have to purchase a different battery box.
10. Unsure. I have to light mine manually, but I have not heard any complaints from the new oven.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Thanks. I recognize your handle from somewhere else. D&T, forest river, or one of the truck forums
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the specific unit your looking at so can't answer directly.

We have the Montana High Country 381TH which has the basement garage you can carry a motorcycle in. If you like a front living room and can tolerate a tighter bedroom it is a great option that allows you to carry toys without losing your living space. Some full timers are getting them so they can use the garage to store stuff like out of season clothes. The 381 also has the residential Fridge, is gen prepped, comes with two batteries, 6 point leveling and for us the best feature is none of the slides are in the DOUBLE awnings on the passenger side (4 slides but only one in the very front on the passenger side). We love not having the slides in the way when we are outside under the awnings. All our storage compartment doors are keyed alike, just the entry door is different.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the specific unit your looking at so can't answer directly.

We have the Montana High Country 381TH which has the basement garage you can carry a motorcycle in. If you like a front living room and can tolerate a tighter bedroom it is a great option that allows you to carry toys without losing your living space. Some full timers are getting them so they can use the garage to store stuff like out of season clothes. The 381 also has the residential Fridge, is gen prepped, comes with two batteries, 6 point leveling and for us the best feature is none of the slides are in the DOUBLE awnings on the passenger side (4 slides but only one in the very front on the passenger side). We love not having the slides in the way when we are outside under the awnings. All our storage compartment doors are keyed alike, just the entry door is different.
We were originally decided on the Grand Design Solitude 374TH, which is the same as what you have, but are opting for a bit more bedroom and kitchen. It’ll definitely be a change for us, giving up a full outdoor kitchen, 4 slide, bath and a half bunkhouse with a fully uninterrupted 21’ awning space...but the kids rarely want to come anymore... We’re definitely trying to figure out how we’ll do all of our outdoor activities. We were thinking about the 3701LK.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
I've sent you a PM to try and help with your questions.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #8
snowbirds R us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13088
Welcome from another St Louisan to this great forum and enjoy your stay. It’s a group of social and knowledgeable folks to help with any problems you may have with your Montana.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
brute84

M.O.C. #21174
Hi, I have a 3731FL, as far as 40 lb propane tanks; yes they fit

Click image for larger version

Name:	40 LB Propane Fit.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	1208

Gene
brute84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirds R us View Post
Welcome from another St Louisan to this great forum and enjoy your stay. It’s a group of social and knowledgeable folks to help with any problems you may have with your Montana.
Thanks. I noticed you’re in Florissant, I’m not far away in unincorporated north county. We’re too far from retirement to be snowbirds, but we do have a seasonal site out in the Washington/Union area.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
We're official!!! Ordered it today. 3731 sand dollar decor, Legacy, slide awnings, king bed, and gen prep. Anyone know which AC unit is the heat pump on a 3731?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
brute84

M.O.C. #21174
bedroom unit
brute84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I know my heat pump is the rear (living quarters) unit. Bedroom is NOT a heat pump unit.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
LigonierMontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20630
Here are few of the answers I would offer. I am new but have been exploring the unit.
1. Mine are not keyed alike. One main door but passthrough is different and generator doors still different again.
2. My wisper air is very quiet compared to the standard air.
3. in command is great. You can do everything from your iPad or phone. Slides generator, lights, heater, water heater, and slides. That way you do not need to be inside the unit.
4. no problem because of the way my 3791RD Legacy is laid out. Not sure about 3731
5. same as 4. not sure on that unit.
6 auto cord is a good thing. no real loss of space in mine. Love it
7. I stayed with the 30's but added a monitor to eliminate guessing.
8 yes I believe it is the only outlet powered by the invertor
9. There is room for extra batteries. Comes in handy if you add solar
10. works much better than the older ones.

Slide toppers are a must.
Legacy is a good add.
Hope that is of some help. As faw as a lot of questions, I have been driving everyone crazy with questions. That's the great thing about this club. Everyone is glad to help.
LigonierMontana is offline   Reply With Quote