Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2023, 11:36 AM   #1
Jd63

M.O.C. #33519
294/295 rl

Hi
We like the floor plan on these models how are they standing up, I have read on google search that these models have lots of quality issues, is this actually true. And if so is there another manufacturer that has that exact floor plan on the 295RL has
Thank You

Jd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums and I hope you have good success on finding your perfect camper.

For what it's worth, every make, model, and brand of RV has issues. It's not just the 294 / 295 Montana model, all of them do. That is why it's so very, very important you become very knowledgeable of what you are looking at when you go "window shopping." Crawl under them, on top of them, shake them, pull them, jump up and down in them, try out the beds, the slide out, the windows, check for loose screws, poorly installed drawers, trim, and before signing any dotted lines, have them completely demonstrate everything is functional and working to your expectations. Of course, many, many things do not unearth themselves until these trailers have been bounced down the road a couple thousand miles. THEN is when things actually break and fall apart, that looked like they were solid and sound. (SURPRISE!)

So, your own due diligence is absolutely essential BEFORE you sign that dotted line.

But, for what it's worth, the 294 / 295 models are a pretty straightforward fifth wheel floor plan. Almost every brand that sells fifth wheels has a floor plan very similar to this one.

You just need to get off the computer and actually go look personally at these campers and see what you are up against. Internet images and real life standing inside one are two entirely different experiences!

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #3
WSKGunn
Established Member

M.O.C. #28474
2021 294 owner reply

I agree that it is best to get out and look . I would also recommend finding a reputable dealer a good dealer will find and fix any flaws before its turned over to the buyer.
A lot of other manufactures make the same floor plan but possibly slightly different in minor ways , Make a list of what your needs are and how you are going to use your Trailer .

Things to think about
Can the refrigerator be accessed with the slides closed. ( Loading & Unloading)
Can the bathroom be used without the slide open . ( roadside Bio Break )
Can you use the bedroom without the slides open . ( rest stop sleep )
IS the refrigerator propane and electric ? (If just electric you will need more battery and a inverter )
Can your tow vehicle handle the load (3/4 ton truck or better)
Do you want solar ( get it now Retrofitting after is a bit tougher

I have had very little issues with my pre pandemic 2012 294RE
Old 10-23-2023, 07:25 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I can only talk to the 295. Love it and the floor plan. Can access the fridge and the bathroom with slides in. Same floor plan, different manufactures? Can't help. Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2023, 08:31 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quality issues tend to be more of timing than a specific model. Our 2018 High Country has been a good rig for us. Yes, there have been some quality things that needed addressing, but nothing catastrophic. As long as a rig is built well, ie: no broken welds, keeps the rain out, etc, then the rest is cosmetic. Or different components made by others that are installed by many trailer brands can fail, but those are typically easily replaced. Don’t expect a trouble-free trailer…there will be things that need repairing. It’s just the way it is.

Avoid Covid builds. Do a thorough inspection of any potential buy. The odds of getting a good unit are far greater than getting a lemon. Be a smart buyer, do your homework, buy the one you like best, and enjoy your travels.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:52 PM   #6
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd63 View Post
Hi
We like the floor plan on these models how are they standing up, I have read on google search that these models have lots of quality issues, is this actually true. And if so is there another manufacturer that has that exact floor plan on the 295RL has
Thank You
This might help: https://rigorrvrepair.com/wp-content...emon-Guide.pdf

Rigor RV also has a FREE 14 day/email process where they send you one email per day that gives you things to consider to get the best RV possible. The list/emails are:
Day 1: Slide-out Systems
Day 2: Plumbing
Day 3: Cabinets
Day 4: Countertops
Day 5: Refrigerators
Day 6: Air Conditioners
Day 7: Furnace
Day 8: Water Heater
Day 9: Roof
Day 10: Frames
Day 11: Suspension & Drive Train
Day 12: Fit & Finish
Day 13-14: Insider Shopping Tips

Hope this helps.

Ttman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #7
Tracyb-oh

M.O.C. #25609
We have a 294RL and love it. It is perfect for just the two of us. Plenty of room for us. We can get to the bath with slides in, we could get into bed with slide in (I would have to crawl over to my side). You could get in the fridge with the slides in if you are not a larger person. Have had no major problems. We previously had a Sanibel that was awful. Spent more time in service than on the road. Much happier with the Montana
Tracyb-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #8
gafranc469

M.O.C. #30252
We drove from Alaska to Michigan to pick up our 2023 295RL. We then towed it to South Texas where we are currently spending the winter. This 295RL has been a great fifth wheel. The only issue we have had is a bent stabilizer (my fault) which was replaced by the manufacturer's warranty. There have been small things like screws needing to be tightened etc., but no major issues.
In the spring we may be towing it back to Alaska and have no reservations about doing so. We are retired and this fifth wheel fits our needs to a tee and we love it. If we had to do it all over again we still would purchase this unit.

See you out there sometime!
Old 11-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #9
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
I'm with @Foldback. We have a 295RL and love the layout. Every camper is going to have some issues, it's inherent to a flimsy house rolling on wheels. Like others have said, you have to physically look at it and open some covers and get your hands dirty. We've had a few things happen with ours but it's all part of our camping narrative. If you like the Montana/Montana High Country, take a look at few then spin the wheel. FWIW, we have plenty of room in ours for our two large dogs, my wife, and me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1222 v2.0.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	15850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5241 v2.0.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	15851  
2021 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, Airlift 5000, PullRite Superglide #2315
Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote