Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2023, 10:26 AM   #1
HickamoreHill

M.O.C. #29280
Exclamation 2007 Montana 3075RL Mold Permanent Living

I bought this unit 2 1/2 years ago for temporary living while building a barn apartment. With the economy going in the tank and getting used to tiny tiny home living, I changed the layout of the barn and added a big shop. About a month ago we finally moved her in. We pulled all the tanks and plumbed it direct to the septic. In the process, where I had dog crates/beds in the long pop out I hit spongy floor. We pulled up all the carpet and vinyl in the lower section. Sure enough bad black mold under where the big dog bed was!! There was a very small water mark in the rear corner but that was abnormal water from where I washed it top to bottom by hand. We replaced the plywood subfloor in the pop out and put down the luxury vinyl plank flooring in the whole lower section. I gave up on the damp rid right after that and bought a dehumidifier. The building has a full bath (over the tiny shower) and I keep a dehumidifier in bath as well as the feedroom (both have hvac). All working great until two days ago. Now the dehumidifier in the Montana is getting black mold in the tank. It's a 22 quart and in the lower section. I didn't plan on replacing the carpet in the bedroom (upper section) until next year. Help!! What should I do?? Get another dehumidifier for the upper section??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POP OUT MOLD.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	15595   Click image for larger version

Name:	MONTANA IN SHOP.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	15596  

HickamoreHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
HickamoreHill

M.O.C. #29280
Ohhh yeah, we also pulled out the RV toilet and installed a real toilet!!!
Old 09-29-2023, 04:14 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I’m not sure it’s fair to blame the dog crate for that much floor damage…maybe part of it. The bottom slide trim angle was probably leaking for a long time, maybe even the window above. Since your RV is permanently stationed under roof now - the leaks don’t matter. I’m not sure how to find and kill all the mold.

James the AZ RV Expert on YouTube has a video where he replaces a bedroom slide floor in an older Montana - but you can see how he addresses the leaky spots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1657.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	15603  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 08:38 AM   #4
HickamoreHill

M.O.C. #29280
The AZ Expert gentleman is awesome. My contractor (not familiar with RV's) watched it and dang did it come in handy!! I'll run out to UTube to see if he's got anything on mold!!
Old 09-29-2023, 11:24 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Of course - that video is for the bedroom slide - which has a much smaller span compared to the living room slides - and I am not sure if the big living room slides are any different. They might actually have an aluminum frame/joists. Maybe someone here will know.

Edit: I found some sketches I did in the past that might illustrate the difference in the slides. I can't promise these sketches are 100% accurate, but probably better than nothing to help get you started.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-07-06_12-35-13.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	15605   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-06-02_09-53-21.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	15606  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote