Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Black tank filling too quickly

After only 1 day I had to dump the black tank. Some how it's getting water in it and I'm certain it's not coming through the flush system unless there is an unknown source without hooking up the flush line. The only thing I keep coming back to is the toilet leaking through the valve somehow. Has any one else had this problem?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Are you sure your tank is full as the gauges are Inaccurate? Have you ever left your tank open for an extended period? If so, you may have a buildup of solids (dreaded pyramid).
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If you have a pyramid as Hook has suggested, you are in for an adventure removing it. There are people that remove pyramids in the black tank.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Is there anything else in your rig that drains into the black tank, like maybe a washing machine? To eliminate the toilet, cut in a shutoff valve in the water line to the toilet. When you do drain the black tank, does it appear to drain a large quantity of waste that you would expect to see, from past experience?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Not wanting to state the obvious; have you considered the gate valve is not opening properly ?
Is the discharge volume the same as in the past? Perhaps the tank is just not empty when you think it is.
(Or worse, the valve/discharge area inside the tank is clogged up)

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
The tank was full after only one day.
I dump, fill & dump again until I see clear liquid running out.
I don't have Any concerns about a Pyramid building up.
When I dumped it after only one day believe me it was full.

I believe the water supply may be sticking after a flush at times.
What I don't know is if the water supply only dumps Into the top of the bowl.
The toilet is made by SeaLand.

In the meantime when away from the camper I shut off the main supply.
I don't have a shut off for just the toilet itself but I see one in the future.

The washer drain on the model has a line directly to the outer dump valve which I installed.

Agsin I can only see it being a sticking valve. I have heard at times what sounds like a seeping sound around the valve.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Now to add to the confusion, the seal on the dump ball sometimes is dry not holding water. Lately it's holding waste water just fine.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I would think if the toilet water continued to run after flushing, the sound of water running constantly down the plumbing would be unmistakeable, and wouldn't you see it swirling around the bowl? The only water outlet in my toilet is above the valve, not below it. If any water flows at all, I can physically see and hear it in the toilet bowl.
I simply can't imagine a washer (or anything else at all) being plumbed into a black tank.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Pretty sure there is no water flow below the flush valve on any RV toilet.

Is the tank consistently filing every 24 hrs when the water supply is open?
Try this - put some water in the fresh water tank.
Dump your black tank.
Shut off the water supply.
Leave the black tank dump open and turn on your water pump,
Does the pump run and stop when the system pressurizes or keep running, which would confirm water running from somewhere into the black tank.
What happens at the outflow ? Fill and flush the toilet a few times.
-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #10
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
I simply can't imagine a washer (or anything else at all) being plumbed into a black tank.

On our 2005 3400RL the washer did in fact drain into the black tank. Made for a very bad first year!!!
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
To check to see if you are putting water into the black tank constantly or after you've flushed, fill your fresh water tank, cut off water coming from city hookup and turn on the water pump. If you are getting a leak from the lines, your water pump will be coming on quite regularly if not run all time. If this is the case the shut-off valve in the stool is obviously not shutting off completely and a new valve is needed.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

To check to see if you are putting water into the black tank constantly or after you've flushed, fill your fresh water tank, cut off water coming from city hookup and turn on the water pump. If you are getting a leak from the lines, your water pump will be coming on quite regularly if not run all time. If this is the case the shut-off valve in the stool is obviously not shutting off completely and a new valve is needed.
But, if that valve is leaking water, won't it just flow into the bowl and eventually overflow onto the floor?
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

On our 2005 3400RL the washer did in fact drain into the black tank. Made for a very bad first year!!!
Seriously??? That is amazingly stupid of Keystone!
Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Seriously??? That is amazingly stupid of Keystone!
What else is new
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I have been dumping the tank daily after the one day that it filled up. I really don't watch the gages. I normally just dump about every 3-4 days when we're out. When water backs up into the drop leg and starts to gurgle and you see it coming up into the toilet it's full without a doubt. That's what happened the first day when it was full after I dumped the day before.

I may be repeating myself some but I'm trying to use my I-phone for these posts and that's a pain; it's also late at night on this one.

It hasn't filled back up competly. I'm not giving it enough time. Also I don't think it's leaking all the time and when it does I believe it's very small leak.

Filling the fresh water tank and watching to see when the pump starts will be a good test to see if water is leaking through somewhere. I have thought of that but haven't got to it yet. May try and do that sometime on Friday. As I think back I remember using the fresh water once when we had low water pressure and seems to me that I noticed the pump kicking on when I wasn't expecting it. I'll have to test it for sure.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:14 AM   #16
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Had a problem like this. It turned out to be the shutoff valve I had on the hose for the black tank flusher. It was leaking, enough to fill the tank, but not loud enough to were you could hear it running.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I usually leave the small blue hose hooked up just for flushing. I've pretty much eliminated that. I have that disconnected to make sure. I'll see what happens when I switch over to the water pump. I do think this is an intermittent problem.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I dumped the black tank this morning and and I happen to notice the gauges. The gauge for the black tank were showing full. After dumping the black tank the gauge was still showing full. That might be why I was not using the gauges. I noticed quite a bit of waste water running out while dumping the black tank however it did not seem like it was enough to have it completely full.

After dumping the tank I shut the black tank valve back off and a few minutes later when I went back in the camper there was a very strong sewer smell. I have not had that to happen before. I will just consider that to be an anomaly for now.

I've had it on the water pump for a while now and I haven't noticed any abnormal water pump activity. I believe the valve may have been sticking but appears to be ok for now. I'll just keep a watch on things and see how it goes.

Hope I haven't bored too many people with the postings. Thanks for all the comments & suggestions!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
OK, I just posted that I thought everything might be ok now. Went in to use toilet and it was full after dumping this morning. Water system seems to be ok after testing with water pump. Was gone most of the day and had all water turned off while we were gone. Flush tank hose not connected to flush connection. I give up guess I'll just go for a swim down here at the pool. Leaning back on what hook suggested to begin with. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Hello swimming hole!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Backed up into the toilet again. Found out its plugging somewhere in the line to the tank. Maybe some buildup that does indeed need to be broken up. Got the plug broken loose I'll keep watching it now that I know more what's going on with it.