Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Guess we are running from IKE

Still in San Benito working Hurricane Dolly losses. We will be leaving for home, Driftwood Texas near Austin, on Thursday morning. We will leave the Montana here at Fun N Sun and just head home. Looking at going some back ways to avoid the traffic.

We have had rain almost every day for the last month. There will be so much additional flooding here in the Rio Grande Valley if Ike hits down here.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I bet that place is a mudpit.......it was two years ago when we were there.....sure hope it dries up in the next two months..we are booked in for 5 months as of the 15 Nov, wont go there if its as muddy as it was............stay safe...
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We have a MH right next to us that was supposed to be parked on the grass. It was too wet for them to park. We are in one of the Super Sights as we were worried about not being able to get in or out. It is real sloppy here right now. Hopefully, it will stop raining soon. I am sure this place is wonderful during the winter. The people here are really great. We haven't used any of the facilities, been working, but have seen the shuffle board courts, billiards etc. One thing I can't understand is that they have the shuffle board courts AC'd with no one using them, and the laundry hot as Hades. Not real happy with them when I am doing laundry.

Colleen
Old 09-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Yep, time to cut and run. We were back in East TX for a funeral. Wife called the Inn where she works in Rockport. They were boarding up and will close today. So, we drove back here last night; will pack the Mountaineer and be on the road back to East TX today. Everyone stay safe.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
We decided to leave early, so we took off on Wednesday afternoon. It looks like we would have been fine staying in the Harlingen area, but who knows what IKE will do.

They just came on CNN and said that if you stay in Galveston you will die. Storm surge will be up to 22 feet. The sea wall is only 17 feet. Glad we are already home. I had my knuckles wrapped around the door handle. People were cutting in front of us and then putting on their brakes. Had one gentlemen pulling his fifth wheel drift over into our lane when we were passing him. Thank goodness we were on the outside lane and had room to get over.

Will report on what we see once we get down in the area.

Colleen
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Saw in the sport section today where the UT game on Sat was postponed...Austin is expecting some rain, too.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We are "hunkered" down in Willis, TX, 3 miles east side of I-45. I'm getting real tired of this. When Rita came through we evacuated to Lufkin and Lufkin got the eye of the storm right over it. When the man sat on a cactus and was asked why, he replied, "'cause at the time I thought it was a good thing to do." Well, we came to Willis - darn! I am really hoping that by the time it gets here it will be below Cat 1. Only time will tell. Please all, pray that everyone is safe.

News just reported there are 24,000 people (About 40%) that decided to stay in Galveston. They will realy need your prayers.

Will, you should have stayed in Rockport! Ha! If we only knew then what we know now.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Well, we ran all over the place and are back in Rockport. The tide is very high, but we are on high ground here. The weather has remained great here. We were told that the RV park we were in at Aransas Pass has been flooded.

We stayed in Millers Creek RV Resort between Johnson City and Blanco last night. Very nice place, and we will keep it in mind should we have to flee again.

We have those tall pines at the stick house in East TX, which is why we decided to head west. My son called, and one of the pines had fallen, taking down the power line. We are so glad we went west.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Will,

The next time you are in the Dripping Springs area, try the Cottonwood RV Park that is just outside of Drippin. We live about six miles from Dripping Springs. Would love to meet you if you are in our area.

We just talked with a friend that lives in Woodville, which is about 40 miles north of Beaumont. His house was ok, but a rent house that he has was split in half by a pecan tree. Another rent house had a tree fall on the roof.

We haven't gotten a drop of rain. Wish we were getting what others don't want, as we are in a drought. Saw on the news that Padre area is getting more rain. Not sure about San Benito, but it sure doesn't need anymore.

Colleen
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Ruth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8424
We left Key Largo two weeks ago running from Hanna. Thought we'd go to Charleston but they were evacuating. So we pushed on. God here in Lousiville, KY on Saturday just in time for Ike to hit on Sunday. We're in a KOA that is too tight for our liking and the Ryder Cup began today. We've had hitch problems but hopefully it's now fixed and we'll head to Indianapolis and ultimately the Rally. Most of the city has no power here and little water. We're lucky to have power. Schools are closed for the rest of the week. Wayne, glad you are OK.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Ruth. Thought of you today. Saw a whole rack of brass 4 spigot water connectors at Wally-world and started chuckling.

Stay safe. Hi Harry.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Not sure when we will be leaving Driftwood and heading towards Galveston. The RV Park that we will be staying in hasn't called us yet telling us that they have power. We won't head down there until we have electricity. I will let you know what we see when we finally get there.

Lots of pictures are everywhere on the internet. Just sad to see surge has damaged most of the homes. Here is hoping that people have flood insurance.

Colleen