Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Tire covers/rethink??

This is just a simple observation that I noticed. I suppose you could call it passive scientific observation. We park our 3400 next to a cement retaining wall. The north side tires get no direct sunlight. The south side tires get alot of sunlight. I was checking the tire pressures today in advance of our first trip and noticed alot of cracking/checking along the sidewall especially where it meets the tread. This was only on the south side tires. The north side tires looked brand new. This is a 2007 unit so I would have to say that sunlight does alot of damage in a short time. I was never a believer in tire covers, but I am going to get some now. You can say what you want, but seeing is believing.
edit: The north side tires where still at 80psi in the shade but the south side tires where at 76psi in the sun. Go figure???? Loss of pressure somewhere for some reason.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I've noticed that cracking on both sides of my unit. One side in shade, the other side faces north and doesn't get any direct sunlight. For the record, these are B F Goodrich Commercial T/A. About 18 mo. old. This shouldn't be happening, IMO, and I'm going to have a dealer look at them soon. I'll keep you posted.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
When I had our new tires put on the dealer (BF Goodrich) said there were 2 things to do, keep the inflation at 80psi and ALWAYS cover them. We discussed this point. Mission also asked if we had our tires covered when not on the road. The answer is yes, I always cover. On our old unit we replaced the tires based on age at 6 years. The tires were always covered and still looked new, no cracks or detoriation. So, unless someone wants to pay for furture tires for me I for one will cover when off the road. IMHO.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't forget that the UV works from the inside out. You may not see damage except under close scrutiny when you remove the tire. I presently don't cover, but my Hanna is new and when in storage is under cover. I'm putting wheel covers on the list of "I wants." Darn, that list is getting longer. TPM is first.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Regardless of the scientific/technical pros and cons to covering the tires, historically we have covered the curbside tires of our Class As and now on Bella because my middle name is NOT "Grace" and I can always find a way to bump into, brush against, fall on/into, etc. the tires and get dirt marks on me or my pants! So in the interest of saving money in having to buy replacement clothes (as the dirt is usually oily and hard if not impossible to get out) to spend it elsewhere tire covers are our solution.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gee! I never thought about the clumsy stuff.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I have a set of them. Our camper stays out all of the time and I put them on through-out the winter months and for extended periods of time during the summer. I haven't had any noticeable problem with the tires and these are the tires that came with the unit.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne,

That's probably because you aren't clumsy! LOL My Dad's description of me is an accident waiting to happen who always finds a place to happen!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I can afford tire covers, but not a set of new tires before there time. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I would rather be safe then sorry. So, while I can still bend down and get on my knees, I will continue to use my tire covers. My Monty is a 2005 and I can so no cracks, however I can hear either.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I can afford tire covers, but not a set of new tires before there time. Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I would rather be safe then sorry. So, while I can still bend down and get on my knees, I will continue to use my tire covers. My Monty is a 2005 and I can so no cracks, however I can hear either.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Just read my reply, don't want any comments. Yes, I know I can't spell either
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I don't use covers. When I'm parked, the tires on the road side are under the living room slide. The curb side tires are protected by the awning which is down all the time. When I'm parked at home , I cover the side toward the sun with a plywood panel.
No problems.

What about those poor tires exposed to the sun on your truck?
Do you cover them?

Lambchop
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't have tire covers but when we parked the camper for the winter and being "cost effective" we used the giant trash bags to cover the tires. Not pretty but effective. We might get some if I can find them at a flea market as we now park in Florida over the winter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We use the covers. They are cheap and my slides do not protect the tires from the sun. As for the TV, it gets moved and the tires exercised while the RV tires sit in the sun and bake.

Those trash bags may keep the sun off the tires, but if plastic, it will get very hot in there...the tire covers are lined to avoid that problem.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hey Tom...."Those trash bags may keep the sun off the tires, but if plastic, it will get very hot in there... " It don't get to hot in Northeren Ohio in the winter????? we will have to spring for some of those covers for our Florida stay. However we are still wrestling with the fact that we have had many campers with many tires and have always replaced them every three years or so no matter what..trash bags or not.The only camper we have replaced tires on in less that 3 years is this one and we just wore them out traveling.. Oh well the covers look good so why not????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have a set of four covers. Usually put them on the sunny side (south/west) if staying somewhere for a week or more. When we first got the Montana it was parked outside, and I put all four on. Don't know if it does that much good, but certainly can't hurt.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote