Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Journeyon
Established Member

M.O.C. #6763
LIFT KIT

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with. We have a Ford v10 super duty 250 crew cab short bed and are pulling a 3400rl. Pulls great, no problem, but....the back end of the truck sits a little low when hooked up. Doesn't cause any problems with steering or anything else. Just don't like the look. I want it to tow level.
I went to a off road shop that specializes in lift kits. They ordered me a air bag system with under dash controller. Problem was they said they couldn't install it because of the type of fifth wheel hitch.
I have a pull rite 18k auto slider. The mount is on the outside of the frame and the shop said there wasn't enough room for the air bags.
Does anyone else have this problem or does anyone have any suggestions? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and happy camping from Journey On!!

Journeyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If you can't install air bags, you might want to consider an extra leaf spring. A good spring and gear shop should be able to do this. I had one added in Anchorage, Alaska.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Air Lift and Firestone both have an air bag system that mounts inside the frame rails, and should work with your hitch. Do a Google search for air bags, and you should be able to find what you need.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with Phil - a helper/overload spring is easy to install and also cheap, compared to air bags.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Many years ago I had a 1988 Chevy 1500, long bed. The owner before me put an extra leaf in the top section (longer leaf) I would haul 2000 pounds of cement products on a pallet and the truck springs would just about be level, give or take an inch. Adding an extra leaf will raise the rear end when empty.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I have a Reese slider hitch on my Ford short box, and still managed to use the regular Firestone airbags.
The top bracket for the airbags wants to go in the same spot as the frame bracket for the hitch.
That was OK by me, I just drilled one of the bolt holes on the Airbag bracket and used the same 1/2" bolt that holds the Hitch bracket to the frame. Put a 1/4" worth the spacers (that's how thick the bracket for the hitch is) at the other end of the Airbag bracket and Bob is your uncle. The bottom of the airbags them self have about 3/4" of in & out adjustment to make up for the 1/4" that I mounted my Airbags out from the frame.
Seems to work OK for the last 6 months or so.
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
John
That's a good install, you shouldn't ever have any problems with it.

Journeyon
That might be something worth mentioning to the shop that is trying to mount the air bags. I have even modified the brackets in a couple of cases, and drilled new holes.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote