Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
JT Stabilizers Question

I am in the process of installing the JT Stabilizers on our trailer, specifically the front ones. We have a 2006 3500RL, and my question involves the front center bracket. There is no heavy frame cross member in the front of the trailer between the two landing gear legs, only the heavy gage sheet metal of the front compartment that runs from frame rail to frame rail. Is this heavy enough to mount to, or should I put a heavier reinforcement under or over it? My concern with the sheet metal is flex from the stress of the stabilizing arm (when people about in the trailer) eventually causing metal fatigue in the sheet metal, and/or the sheet metal not being strong enough to take out the flex of the trailer movement.

Or am I worrying about nothing?

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I attached mine to that sheet metal. I attached it very close to the front bend for the extra strength. After over 2 years of use, there is no sign of any bending or deformation of that metal.
If you are overly concerned, you could buy a length of flat steel bar or angle at Home Depot or such and sttach it to that sheet metal in several places across the width of the trailer to spread the force.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tom, the instructions used to cover that situation. They supply 4 extra two hole reenforcement plates just for that situation. get them close to the front bend of the floor... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks Bill and Dave! Dave, the instructions do say to use the extra plate, but in my "let's over engineer it so it lasts forever" mind frame, I was wondering if one extra plate was good, would one that ran frame rail to frame rail be better. Adding steel isn't an issue, but I don't want to add weight that's not necessary either!

I'll put this one under 'worrying about nothing' and go with the extra plate.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I attached mine to the sheet metal.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tom, if you look at the over all design of the system the only weight you will have on the sheet metal is any side to side wiggle. The landing gear is holding all the weight, the JT's are only acting as a resistance to wiggle. I thought the same as you while installing them but then realized that there really isn't any weight issue at all. Even when I tried to lift the landing gear without loosening the JT's T-bolts then just slid closed and made the pump labor a bit. They are nothing more than non-hydraulic shock absorbers...Dave
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ditto Dave's comments. On our 2006 3400RL and our 2009 340RLQ, the front JT's are attached to the sheet metal floor of the front compartment near the front bend. No problems...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Tom S I have installed a 1 1/2" angle iron inside and outside of the box and it still bent from over extending the legs as i tried to put more preasure on the JT.s ;;;i guess i got carred away on the preasure but it is got a bend in it of 1/2" ;;;;i feal it needs more support to gain the true wiggle of the rig ;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I installed mine next to the bend with the reinforcement plates and they work great.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I built my own stablizers but they are basicly the same as the JT's. I mounted mine to the sheet metal close to the bend also. In 4 yrs they haven't shown and bending or weakness anywhere.

One thing I noticed is that when I changed to SOB its a 2011 and it has the droped frame in the front. I have found that they are more stable due to the fact the landing legs are closer to the frame therefore not having as much sway. JMHO.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I attached ours to the sheet metal using the two strengthening plates provided. Like Bill, I placed it close to the edge where the sheet metal bends at a 90 degree angle. After a year I have detected no flex or weakening.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks guys. I put the front ones on last night and will probably put the rear ones on today or tomorrow. I will say that the kit is very well engineered and well worth the price, especially since they gave us a discount at the rally!

I also installed the elephant feet. All I can say for those is the rubber 'slippers' are a biotch to put one and will give you a test of how strong your hand muscles are!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #13
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Regarding those stabilizers . . . are those T-handles captive or can they vibrate loose while traveling and fall on the road?
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I was concerned about them vibrating out. And also I did not want to have to tighten them after I raised the jacks/stabilizers and and then loosen them again before I lowered the jacks/stabilizers.
I got some of the little mini bungees, wrapped one twice around each strut at each T handle, hooked the hooks together, and pinched them together so they can't come loose. Then when I loosen the T handles to get ready to leave, I just leave the T handle loose, loop a bungee over the T handle, and leave it that way for travel. Then when I get ready to lower the jacks/stabs again, I don't have to remember to loosen the Ts.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jdrobone

Regarding those stabilizers . . . are those T-handles captive or can they vibrate loose while traveling and fall on the road?
Jerry
I have been travelling with them for over two years and they haven't fallen out yet....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Same situation here, never lost one. I had the Elephant shoes on my Elephant feet until this spring. I lost one so pulled all of them off until I can figure out how to attach them so they wont fall off. When I first put them on I filled a bucket with hot water from the rig and let them soak in it for about ten minutes so they got flexible and easier to stretch. Don't soap them though or they get too slippery to stretch... Dave
Old 10-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I use small velcro strips Tom when traveling to assure no drops even though I tighten once they are raised.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
OK, I got the back ones on, but ran into a minor problem. Last year I mounted a cross piece of 4" PVC pipe to hold our sewer hoses and it's just a bit too close to the JT's (the "T" handles hit when raising the jacks). So now I have to move the PVC pipe. Not a big issue, but it's always something!!!

As I stated earlier, I am duly impressed with the quality of these. Some folks here have stated they were going to make their own, which is OK. As a former Tool and Die Maker, I could have easily done so, but for the small amount of savings after buying the steel tubing and hardware, plus the time taken to do the fabrication, I don't recommend it. These are just a well made and well priced (with the show discount) product. Not over priced like many camping items are.

Thanks again for your input!