Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Bill Brown
Established Member

M.O.C. #7678
Tires

I have the Mission ST235/80R16 on my 3295RK with about 10,000 mls. On the trip from Home(CO) to TX I noticed that the rt rear tandem tire had lost tread almost to the cords while the other tires stil had decent tread. What went wrong? I'm a nut about tire pressure. Any ideas?

Bill Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Do a search for mission tires and you will become enlightened to the problematic and "dreaded" Mission tire experienced by the "whole" MOC membership.

These tires have given many people trouble (including me). Even more coincidentally the right rear tandem tire seems to have the most problems because it is the last tire making a right turn and is experiencing the most stress or try as you might, you might hop the curb going into or out of a entryway/driveway.

10,000 miles is a better range than most of us have gotten. When I had my first (and only) Mission problem it was about 3,000 miles, and knowing these could be problematic, I then replaced all of them with Goodyear Marathons. Many of us tire pressure nuts have been frustrated by them.

Other factors could be too much weight on that corner, or the age of the tires. Get your rig to some scales and weigh not only the axles but each side to ensure the weight is evenly distributed, not just within the weight rating - for example if one tire is carrying 2,000 lbs and the other is carrying 3,000, they are within the weight rating, but then the latter will probably fail faster because it can be under more stress. Regarding tire age, check the DOT code on your tires for the manufacture date. Just because they look good doesn't mean they are in the best condition. It has been recommended by several places that tires should be replaced every 4-6 years from the date manufactured.

There are many other experiences and stories, but I hope a search will help you find some. There will certainly be other MOCers along to comment.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Had the same problem with the same tire...bad tire the tire dealer said. I figured if one went down the others would not be far behind and replaced them with 235/85R16 Bridgestone Duravis 500s.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
As Art stated, search and you will find enough reading material to keep you busy for a while. Not just this site either - try Google. Missions could be defined as what's wrong with Chinese products.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
The problem is Mission tires
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
As others have indicated it could be the tire. But it might also be an axle problem. You might rotate the tires and watch carefully to see if the tire wears the same.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill, knowing the problems with the Missions, I would change them as soon as possible. The damage they can do when they blow out is not worth taking a chance on changing locations. This is my experience with them tires........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote