Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
jaleepadgett
Established Member

M.O.C. #8402
Tire Chocks???

Saw on another thread about wheel chocks and some device to lock the wheels to reduce the forward backward movement when parked. I am new to this and only use the plastic wheel chocks to keep the Monty in one spot when I disconnect the TV. What is the best way to secure the tires when parked?

jaleepadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Welcome!!!

Many of us use:

http://www.rotochok.com/

Please note, Al and I have no connection to the manufacturer. We do praise the staff and the product, highly.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
JT Strong arms are the hot setup now

Below is Roto Chocks web site.

http://www.rotochok.com/

and JT below

http://www.jtrv.com/our_products.html
Old 08-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
James, I use the Deluxe Tire Locking Chocks from Camping World ($49.00 a set) along with the JT Strong Arm Stabilizers. My coach is sturdy as a rock. Keep in mind, there is still some "bounce" as you are sitting on air (tires), but I'm as sturdy as can be.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ditto Mrs. Country Guy. We've used all kinds of chocks between the wheels but have found nothing that measures up to the Roto-Choks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
jaleepadgett,

Like Phil, we have the Deluxe chocks that CW sells and JT Stabilizers and are very happy with the way they hold the trailer from moving.

Those chocks that Carol and Al have are sure nice, but the price of $65 each would make me maybe go with the cheaper ones. On sale, we paid about $65 for the pair from CW. Both will do a fine job.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We also use the Deluxe Tire Locking Chock from CW.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have, sitting in my garage, what Glen has posted, the Deluxe Tire Locking Chock.

I am not using them.

Why? Because I only have one set of dual wheels on the S.O.B. 1 pair for $75. Problem is you would have to pick them up, or pay freight and they are heavy. I only have one wrench, but you only need one.

Also, when I used the above, I also blocked the wheels with 4x4. I did it the old aircraft way. I cut two pieces of 4x4, stuck an eyelet in the end of each, and braided a rope about 2 1/2 to 3 feet (personal choice). I would place one in front of a wheel and one behind the wheel. When ready to leave, typically one would be loose and free and I would pick it up, and if need be, tap the one that was tight away from the tire. Grab the rope and off to the TV for storage.

Worked for me.

The roto chocks added some stability.

Oh! I also have a king pin stabilizer that I'm sure I can deal with anyone that wants to come and get it.

Edited: Oh! The things one finds they do not need when you are an SOB.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have used the Roto Chocks on our last 3 5th wheels and as others have said their the best on the market (IMO). But with our (SOB) brand and the 6 hydraulic jacks we now have there is very little movement. So now the Roto Chocks hang next to the King Pin jack collectin dust in the out building. The jacks take pressure off the tires so therefore we have very little movement at all. We have had to buy 3 differenct side plates for the Roto Chocks, all our other 5er had different space between the tires. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
"Best" is in the eye of the owner. Each one of us will say we have the best. Every product will normally do what it is designed to do. Some just seem to do it better than others. From the posts in this thread it would be hard for me to decide which wheel chock to buy. I guess it just boils down to what we're willing to pay. Remember when Sears, Roebuck & Co. used to have the "Good, Better and Best" products. That's kind of what we're dealing with here.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I would rather spend $$$ on golf or traveling so roto chocks were way too expensive. For $3.10 I took some landscape timber cut into 4 8 inches pieces. Then took some threaded rod with washers and nuts and through drilled holes they work great. I hope this is understandable.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:11 AM   #12
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
My son-in-law borrowed my chocks, metal type with the cam to squeeze them into the tires. I told him you guys liked the roto-chocks and also a picture of the ones Camping World has, yellow plastic with threaded rod to close them in on the tire. He decided he could make something. When I got home yesterday I had his device on my camper tires. Square steel tube stock cut to a wedge shape, ends plates and threaded rod to pull them to gather. We tried rocking the camper and they really make a difference. Going camping this weekend and will give them the real test. He said with material and time they are not cheap to make.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh! Home made?
Try this.
Take two 4x4 and cut them to about 8" (Measure and check). Cut a 45 degree angle on each end. ( Easier to cut the 45 first, then measure and cut the length.

Drill a hole through the center of each piece, length wise. Place a proper length of 1/2 inch all-thread through the hole. Give yourslef enough length of all-thread the be able to slide the 4x4 up to fit between the tires. The 45 degree cuts fade each other to the inside of the all-thread. Double nut one side of the all-thread (But you really don't have to). Place a nut on the other end of the all-thread.

Slide the two pieces apart, place between tires, tighten nut.

Instant (almost) chock!

By the way, I have two of the Yellow wheel chocks that fit between the tires laying in the garage also. It will cost you a lunch at the local La Taqueria for two. Lunch is cheap. Plus, you pick them up, or be within 30 miles of here, then lunch is your choice of location (Not McDonald's or like!!!!)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not sure if this is a good bargain, but CW is selling their Chock for $42.99 ea plus shipping at this moment. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dennis,

We were in a CW the other day and they had them on sale there too, but when we bought ours, they were ~$55 for two (the Deluxe ones Glenn mentioned)...wonder if this really is a deal. At that price, I might want to spring for the fancy ones.

Whatever you do, don't buy the ones that have the lever control, they have to be readjusted constantly and soon become a real inconvenience.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We used to have a tripod and the metal expanding wheel chocks (lever type) from Camping World. We now have:

Rotochoks

JT Stabilizers

Rear JT Stabilizer Option for telescoping jacks

We are happy, even with the wash machine running.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use to have the Tri-Pod and the Roto choks, but they are hanging in the out building collecting dust. We now have 6 Hydraulic jacks and movement isn't there. And leveling is awesome. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Here is what I use if interrested I will post the manufacture.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
being new here i don't know how to post pics yet. so i'll tell you . i made my between the wheel chocks out of 4x4s, threaded lag eyes and a turnbuckle in the middle. this works great and if you have a good grip no tools needed to tighten up. cost for both sides about six bucks
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #20
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
We spend about 9 months a year in my monty so we like it as comfortable as possible,alot depends on your lifestyle.If you are large people like alot of us baby-boomers are you get more movement.I've used the wedges between the wheels, tripods, wheel chocks and they did some good.What made the biggest difference was the JT stabilizer system,this was the best investment I made.Like I said we spend a lot of time in our monty,at some cg 3 months at a time.I still use chocks and tire wedges for hooking up to the tv,I joined the drop club 2 years ago.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote