Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Fuzzy Math to justify weekend camping trip??

I just did some interesting math regarding our upcoming weekend trip to Elkins for the holiday. Every time before (twice a year) we have taken the Montana and TV as well as DW's Suburban north for the 350 mile round trip. I ran the math using 11 mpg for the D/A and included food, campsites, etc. at current prices of $4.59/gal diesel and came up with weekend total of $436 total leaving the Suburban at home. Then I compared taking both vehicles at a $1.00 a gallon cheaper for fuel and gas and the total came to $471.00. THAT SURPRISED ME to say the least. So with fuel costing 20% more, we are spending less this year by leaving the Suburban at home. Now I realize that not everyone takes two vehicles with them all the time, but we usually do. I like our alternative plan and feel a little better about the cost of fuel now (at least I can convince myself that I am saving???).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bingo, isn't it funny how much our "relaxation" means to us! We can justify the $436 spent because it didn't cost us the $471. I like those kind of figures.
Although we don't take our car along on our trips, unless Patti can't leave at the same time, we are planning on taking it to Florida this winter. We are looking at the running around we will do there and the difference in fuel costs to let the diesel sit still.
I like your math lesson for today!!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
The biggest justification I feel is "quality of life." I try to do what makes us happy and we enjoy traveling. I will continue to do this till I just can't afford to do it. This is what I worked toward all those years and I really don't need to save for retirement anymore. I have to admit that it is not as easy to travel paying so much for diesel.
When we started this adventure I was paying $.99 a gal. for diesel and that was 7 years ago, not that long.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
There's always a way to make the numbers work when it's something important!
Enjoy the trip!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
As long as we have the money to pay what ever bills we have,than we're off and running.
At our age we don't have to justify anything to anyone! Remember,you only live once,enjoy life while you can. Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Bingo, Now try figuring the trip using Motels, and restaurants. It may make the trip feel even better.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #7
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
We do it a bit differently. For us, the trips justify owning the RV, If we cannot afford the trip then its not prudent to own an RV. I think for the sake of sanity everyones household budget should include some sort of R&R but I suppose the budget must also dictate what kind and how much.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Snownyet..That is our feeling.. Our rig was purchased for our Great adventure. jjackflash....you got it...If we can't live it the rig is useless. We are far from giving up...but...we can see it from here. There are other altenatives to Rv'ing.. Emmel..We are also taking our Honda to Flordia this winter.Will PM you....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I figure it costs me $10k/year just to own the trailer and truck. Add another $3k in storage, camping, fuel, etc. But, that's why I work. As mentioned earlier, it's a lifestyle choice. Terrie and I have really enjoyed it, especially all the nice people we meet along the way.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
We made the same decision--it's a choice, it's better to spend the money now and enjoy your R&R the way you want to.

For those with medical conditions which may progress to a sedentary lifestyle, go now and have fun--you may need the memories to get you through the rest of your life. Make sure those memories are great ones!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Execpt for insurance and plates it cost us zero to own the truck and camper as it was our long term plan to be able to buy and pay for them before we started on our retirement adventure. We have no storage fees when at home as it is here beside the house and we store it along with ourselves in Florida or the S.W in the winter. We do not work as we are retired and therefore on a fixed income. We have budgeted a sizable amount of $ for our great adventure but it is a budgeted not very flexable amount and we must spend within that budget. We can not just find or spend money we do not have and our income has not increased 30/40% or better. When our budgeted travel money is depleted..we stop. We would love to hook up and go,,don't worry, enjoy life,you never know,,,but where do the $ come from???
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have quit full timing due to illness in the family. If we hadn't not quit full timing and build another stick house we would have had to make cuts in our traveling. And its all due to the cost of Diesel, its has more than doubled in price. But we still are planning in going South in Nov. Which is about half of the miles we had been going, we did go to the RGV or Arizona both places we Love very much.

We are planning on taking the Car this year and again its due to Diesel cost. The biggest reason is we will be returning to Tennessee in Dec. And we now will probably Stay two months in Gulf Shores and then two months in or around Tampa Florida it will depend on the weather. The cost in Florida is much more than Texas (RGV) or Arizona. But with the price of Diesel that may all change. Who knows, there is the possibility Diesel may be in such short supply we may just have to set and look at our beautiful Tennessee river. We are also retired and yes we live on a fixed income. But if we do, I am so happy to say we were Blessed to have been there and done that. GBY......

Just one other question, how do you budget for Diesel fuel. About 6 months I would have thought $6.00 a gal but now. The cost of a gal isn't the problem, its now if there will be there to buy?????
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we did the budget for Flordia we factored in a 20% increase. We did the budget in Nov 07 and by the time we started back in April 08 it had increased over 20%. We are also taking the Honda with us IF we can get to Flordia this year as it gets 30+mpg to the 6.4's maybe 15mpg. It will also give us more flexibility in working at Disney which will be a must this year.Not just the cost of Diesel but every single thing we use has increased in price.