Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Silverado Aux Fuel Tank

I am adding a small auxillary fuel tank in my 2007 Siverado Duramax. There is what looks like a 3/16 " ID line capped off coming from the tank to up near the fill cap. I thought that was pre installed for just such an aux. tank, but it seems to be plugged. When you blow in it, it does not take the air.

Is this the aux. tank line or is there anonther one or not? If it is does it have to be opened up before use?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I'm interested in adding a auxillary tank in my 2007 Duramax. Have you found a chassis mount or a in bed tank.
I haven't seen the 3/16" line but I'll look for it.
Thanks for bringing this subject to our attention.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
I am also shopping for an aux. tank for my Duramax and am interested what you are installing---
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I think you are talking about an air inlet line that GMC has on their fill lines -- looks like a small hose off the fill line and has a plug in it. However, the plug actually is a one way valve that lets 'very little' air in as the fuel is used from the tank (hence you can't blow into it and feel like it is letting air in). Without this the tank would either fail to feed fuel as the vacumn developed, or the tank would collapse. One way to not let vapors (or fuel) out into the environment.

Transfer flow has a replacement for the main tank that gives you almost double your fuel (does stick down below the rails some though); several others locally have gone with 'Atta' or 'RDS' fuel tanks in their truck beds. Problem I've heard of from one of them is that when they make pits stops they have to manually 'transfer' fuel as their tanks don't do it automaticaly like the transfer flow ones do. Small price to pay for the difference in prices though!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:32 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I have just had the Transfer Flow replacement tank installed. Went from 26 gal to 45 Gal. All the gages abd setings work except the range number (it looks to still be set up for the 26 gallon tank). Have not yet used much fuel nor towed with it. Reason I went with this tank, already had a tool box in the TV so an external Aux tank was not an option. I do not notice the tank when looking at the TV.
This is not an advertizement, just giving you my experiance.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Diesel aux. tank fill kit One of the fellas on a diesel forum I frequent used this. Seems it will allow the stock tank to fill as needed. That one is for the Ford and Dodge. Here is the one for the Chevy/GMC.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
The NAPA parts man where I live has a Transfer Flow tank under his Duramax and he says that all the gages work properly except the range and he says doubling the indicated range gets it pretty close--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Recently I had a 56 gallon Transfer Flow tank put on my truck in place of the 34 gallon oem tank. Two suggestions if you are getting an aux tank...if in the bed check to be sure it meets DOT standards, I understand some do/some don't. Also, that extra fuel adds weight to the truck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rad...... here is the filler kit from Gravityfeed Company. Takes 3/16 line and has over flow check valve. I put on in when i put in the 30 gal. RDS Aluminum Tank/Aux Tool Box in my 2007 Chvey Dually Dura... That hose your talking about should be the vent hose with Roll-Over Check Valve in it.

http://www.gravityfeed.4t.com/

Works great by the way and very easy to install...
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
Last summer I installed an Aux tank from American tank in my 06 Silverado 2500HD. I used the 65 gallon tank. It fits nicely below the rails in the bed. I installed it in about 2 hours. I spoke with the tank builder about how the switching valve works. He explained it all to me. Plus the install instructions were pretty easy to follow. I have used it a couple of times while traveling. It’s nice not to have to stop for fuel. Just flip the switch. For those interested here’s the web address www.auxtank.com .
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote