Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
MOC Guidance used once again

Thanks to those who contributed their guidance, namely Ozz and jbbcny, today was a Harbor Freight and JC Whitney day. Got the widely recommended 12v high volume 150 psi air compressor on sale for $49.95 (although I had volunteered to be the guinea pig for the cheapo, I reasoned myself out of it). Then I ordered the front hitch receiver for the bike rack for the Florida trip. Went to one Walmart looking for the 4" King Size memory foam topper but they didn't have it, so we have a couple of others that we have to check tomorrow. Two weeks to get ready for the definitely awaited, definitely needed 8 days at Topsail. Dealer got all warranty work done, so we are ready to roll with a hopefully leak-free shower and the third times a charm Apollo oven. As long as it lasts through the pumpkin pies we will be fine. Thanks to everybody who contributes, it does make a difference. Winter storage will include 2nd a/c installation along with basement mounted Autoformer and Surge Guard install. Thanks again to the finest information source on the web.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes, MOC Rocks!
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo - will it work for blowing out the water lines?

Seems I'm going to have to add that to my winterizing sequence, as other posts identified that several lines do not get covered using the antifreeze method.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Target also carries the foam topper.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not sure Brad, actually I have never blown out water lines before, just filled with pink stuff, may have to investigate that unless someone can answer for us. Found the mattress topper at another Walmart nearby (4" king size with cover for $160.00), along with one of the oil-filled space heaters (another MOC suggestion which I had been considering and decided it was the way to go). Now all that is left is a CB radio and antenna for the Chevy and we will be road-ready for the trip. While there I will be replacing the faucet and hopefully, finally getting DW set up for the Vesta. Cabinet will be made over the winter, and will be purchasing Kipor 3000 Sinemaster as soon as we return from Topsail. Excited about that because now I will be able to power up Monty at mini-storage for Brad and Ozz type projects this winter!!!! Santa (otherwise known as DW) has been getting a lot of hints lately.

Bingo
Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo,

First time for air in the lines for me too this year, but BigAl talked me into it prior to the pink stuff and Mudchief has a layout of lines that don't get pink when winterizing because of the new docking station. Not sure these lines will freeze, but not sure they won't either.

One is the tankfill line between the docking station and the freshwater tank. Unbelieveable how much water came out the tank drain after blowing air into the line.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
How exactly do you go about blowing the air into the lines, are there fittings of some sort that are available???
Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

How exactly do you go about blowing the air into the lines, are there fittings of some sort that are available???
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bingo I set my air comp on 25 psi with reg and hook it up with a quick connect with the blowout plug. Then go inside and open one fauset at a time. I drain the hot water tank first it also lets me ck the anode rod.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks to all, I, like Brad, am going to have to add this to the winterizing procedures, better safe than sorry.
Bingo
Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bingo,

Let me know if your 12V compressor has enough poop. I used my pancake compressor and wouldn't mind going to something lighter weight I can carry onboard. I've winterized twice already this season, and probably will a few more times before Dec.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Brad...you got it as bad as I do...I'm winterized and dying to get out yet again. Gonna be a long winter...

My rig is a trailer instead of the fancy 5'ers you guys have, but blowing out the lines is the only way I have been doing mine since new.
I made my own fittings as I was unable to find them at the time.
Simple and easy. Like scductman said, 25 pounds is all you need. Push air through all the lines till no more sputtering, empty the heater and open the low point drains, a little pink in the toilet, traps, and some into the tanks to keep the valves wet and you're good to go.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I used my Harbor Freight 12 VDC 150 PSI compressor this weekend to blow up all four tires on Monty. They were at 61 psi and I took them up to 75 psi. It took about 10 minutes per tire. The compressor does not have a regulator on it. So if you use it (to blow out the lines) which is easy with the adapter shown above because the hose screws onto the adapter. Make sure you leave a faucet or drain valve open. Open a second one then close the first one. That way the lines will not have too much pressure on them. It is best to use two people with one watching the compressor.
Best of luck and tow safe.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote