Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sidewinder by 5th Airborne

Anyone out there have the Sidewinder on the pinbox, the one by 5th Airborne?

Anyone have JUST the sidewinder without the 5th Airborne pinbox? How do you like it?

Likewise for those who have both the sidewinder and the pinbox. How do you like it?

If I understand correctly the sidewinder acts as an automatic slider, can be mounted to the current OEM pinbox without need for the 5th Airborne pinbox. Correct?

Either way, is a special adapter needed for someone else to tow the Montana? I THINK there is an adapter that can be changed to fit most FW hitches. Correct?

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
steve, I have the 5th airborne with sidewinder. What the sidewinder does is moves the pivit point back about 19 inches
so it pivits further back in the truck bed. This is done by the use of a metal block that fits into the hitch and keeps
it from piviting there. I bought it because I wanted to make sure I could turn 90 degrees with out hurting either the truck, or 5th wheel, and it does that. secondary bennifit is more room between the truck and 5th wheel, so I have no problem hooking or unhooking with the tail gate down on the short bed. I'll be off line the next two days, but happy to answer any specific questions.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
To add to what Bob said instead of pivoting on the hitch it pivots at the pin box. As soon as we get down to Ga in a couple weeks I will be purchasing the 5th airborne with the sidewinder. a bit pricey but thats what we want.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry it took me so long to get back here. Thanks to both of you. Excellent information. I was having some trouble understanding but reading your posts caused the light (dim as it may be) in this old head to light up. Thanks much.

I think one of these days I'm going to spring for the sidewinder and maybe the 5th Airborne, too. I only rarely need the slider but having an automatic slider sure would provide some peace of mind.

So another truck with a standard fifthwheel hitch could tow a sidewinder-equipped Montana without modification? Right? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steve, Because the sidewinder uses a block that fits into the hitch, that block may need to be moved, reversed, or removed. Its held in with 2 bolts. Worst case thay could remove it and tow, just not back up (as there would be 2 pivot points if the block were removed). The install kit comes with information on which way to install the block.
Went out to he Montana and got the paperwork.
It can be set up for one of three ways.
1) fits Reese 15k, 16k, 20k, Owens, Draw-Tite, and simuliar units.
2) Fits Reese Signature series, Holland hitch, B&W and similiar units
3) Fits Husky and similiar units
It shows pictures of the 3 style hitches and how to set up the block (Wedge as they call it)
Bolts get torqued same as the tires 110 ft lbs.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, the question I have is this. Keystone went to a shorter pin box because of the frame flex, therefore will adding some of the different pins boxes that are longer bring back that problem?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rogue, excellent info, thanks.

Mudchief, I don't know. That's a good question. Since it's a flexible pivoting connection to the pinbox maybe it's not going to torque the pinbox any more than direct to hitch would?? Or is it direct bolted to the pinbox? Rogue, any idea about this?

Dennis, we're in Independence until 11/27. We've wanted to meet you and your wife for quite some time but never got it done. If interested, email me and maybe we can get together somewhere.

On edit... we were out at Lifestyles Rv the other day. Besides Montana, they also carry Everest. Some of the Everest models had a Sidewinder installed. I asked Barry about this and he said it's an option on the Everest and is installed by the factory. I wish Montana would make it an option. So if it's safe for the Everest then it's probably ok for the Montana?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steve, I can't really comment on the frame flex with regards to only the Sidewinder unit. But I would ventura a guess that on the 5th Airborne Sidewinder unit, the one with the shock and air bag, the flex should not be a problem. That being because of the shock and air bag, reducing any road jolting on the hitch and pin, being transfered to the frame. Also even with static weight on the frame, it is further back on the pin because of the pivit point being back and the air bag.
Remember this is my guess, I am not a designer nor engineer.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. I think I'll get out to the dealer again pretty soon and take a closer look at how it works. I think they had some with just the sidewinder, if I recall.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
sreigle, I sent you a PM.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote