Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Help! Fried electrical package on 2008 Montana Mountaineer

So, after spending two weeks in our "Monty", I can tell you it was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS - and surpassed my expectations!

The week before we arrived at our new land in northwestern Michigan, we installed and turned- on the electricity, 15 & 30 amp service. Installed a pump for a well, and had it all ready to be hooked up/turned on.

A few days before we arrived, we were alerted to a problem: a well-meaning friend with a background as a journeyman electrician, thought he was helping me get a jump on my vacation. So, he hooked up our 120v camper to a 220v outlet - shorting the inverter, which then cascaded to short (i.e., fry) the microwave, DVD/VCR TV set combo, surround-sound system, and a separate DVD player!

He felt so bad that he discarded all of the old, fried, electronics - immediately replacing everything with similar items, brand new from Wally World - all except the surround-sound system.

I looked at the surround sound system to try to get it back online - I could only find the sub-woofer and some disconnected wires that looked like they headed up to a couple of what looked to be ancient sound bar prototypes - on top & below the TV nook. I thought perhaps the system just needed to be "synched", so I tried to "turn on" the surround sound system from the television remote...(magical thinking, I know, but I was desperate)!

No dice. so I hooked up the TV to the on-board coax cable, which ran to the campers digital antenna, TV worked fine.

I never did find a surround sound receiver box to hook the stranded speaker gozintas and gozouttas wires...is there supposed to be receiver?

I paid my friend back, as he'd been so excited in anticipation of our arrival, he simply couldn't wait for us to start our new vacation. He decided it would be über-cool to have us step into our "new" camper with the A/C running, the TV on (I assume with the surround sound blaring), and the buttery smell of microwave popcorn wafting through the air... unfortunately, that's not what happened.

Besides, there was no guarantee any/all that stuff would have worked anyway - it's a 2008 model that's only been used for a couple weeks in the summer and fall, and then closed up for the long Michigan winters but it looks brand new to us!

...there was also no guarantee that I wouldn't have made the very same mistake my friend did!

He'd replaced almost everything before we arrived, but he was so scared to reconnect the electrical stuff again, that he wouldn't even try to hook-up all the (new) items.

So, because this is a unique scenario, I have some questions for you veteran Montana Mountaineer fans/aficionado's:

A) I didn't get a chance to document the kind of TV, microwave, and surround sound system receiver...that originally came with the camper. Do any of you know?

B) I now have a 24" flat screen monitor where we used to have what looked to be a combo 32" TV/VCR/DVD unit...what kind/size TV have you all replaced, and why?

C) My "new" microwave (small & cheap) replaces the fried one my friend also fried. Can anyone tell me if the type of microwave units that came with this camper? Were the convection/microwave combinations? If not, would it be feasible to ass one?

D) I don't know what type of components/options I had - and I'm not sure what I want to go back INTO the camper...any ideas?

Later, in as gently as I could, I asked my friend whether he noticed if there had been a surround sound receiver in the items he replaced - he shrugged and said "It happened so fast, and I was in such a hurry, I really don't remember everything that shorted...just made a quick note of the items and ran down to Walmart to get them installed - before you came back..."

I'm assuming the inverter works, as he called an electrician with the serial number of the fried inverter, and had a professional electrician install it. Also, we were in the camper for two weeks and we ran the A/C, the (tiny) TV, as well as the refrigerator and hot water heater...all without incident...

I really would like to ask all of you what electrical components/items you have used to replace the ancient circa 2008 electronics that came standard on a 2008 31 RLD Montana Mountaineer? ...namely, what size/kind of TV can I fit into the camper (and if larger than the area intended for it - where did you end up putting it0?

What type of DVD player did any of you convert to (I have a lot of old VCR tapes of family & family vacations, and I was kind of looking forward to seeing if that old combo TV unit would be a way to view them)?!

...P.S., was there a surround sound system receiver!? If so, where can I go to replace it? Failing that, what systems work best and where would they fit? From the last system, I already have a subwoofer, at least one sound bar (like) device built into the TV cabinet area...not to mention the speakers over the rear recliners.

HELP!

BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

You said it was 2008 but we need the model of your unit.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

You said it was 2008 but we need the model of your unit.

Phil P
Hello Phil P! Sorry about that - The model is 31 RLD Montana Mountaineer!
Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Sorry for your problems but your "journeyman electrician" friend should have known the difference between a 120 volt outlet and a 240 volt outlet. Basic electric knowledge.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
How did he even get it pluged in? The plug and the recepticle are completly different.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a 2007 Montana, but the equipment is obviously different. It had a 27" heavy TV and a separate DVD/surround 5.1 sound sound (home theater) system. 5.1 meaning it had 5 speakers (3 front/2rear) plus a subwoofer. I replaced the TV with a 32" Samsung LED flat screen. The new TV is larger than the cabinet opening, but is so thin that mounting it outside of and up against the cabinet opening works fine.

The home theater system died so I measured the small opening in the cabinet where it was located and went to Best Buy and found one to fit that small opening. A Panasonic that I don't remember the model #. It came with new speakers of similar size although I did have to enlarge the cabinet openings slightly. I reused the old wiring. Do you have similar 5 + 1 speakers?

Mine has an Appllo Half Time microwave/convection. First one died after 3 yrs. Same model replacement still works. That model has a fan and duct to pull the hot air out from behind and exhaust it out the front so it does not trap that hot air behind the cabinet. But I don't think they are available any longer.

TVs are no longer expensive. A larger TV can probably easily be mounted even if it is larger than the cabinet opening. I prefer the DVD and sound system be separate from the TV. If you have 5+1 speakers, you may be able to install a home theater system. If you don't have 5+1, then a sound bar may work.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
How did he even get it pluged in? The plug and the recepticle are completly different.
I have no idea, after un-plugging it from my electric pole, I puzzled over this myself! The only thing I can figure is that the trailer was initially parked elsewhere, because the power company had yet to run a line into my property. He ran an extension cord out of a neighbors pole barn.

EDIT: I realized I typed the wrong voltage - my journeyman electrician plugged in a 220v...not a 240 volt - sorry THAT part was on me. I spoke to him again a few moments ago and he helped correct my story (although he doesn't know I've made him infamous on these boards)!

Proof positive that no good deed goes unpunished! He was so remorseful I didn't have the heart to ask to turn in his union card...
Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #8
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
We have a 2007 Montana, but the equipment is obviously different. It had a 27" heavy TV and a separate DVD/surround 5.1 sound sound (home theater) system. 5.1 meaning it had 5 speakers (3 front/2rear) plus a subwoofer. I replaced the TV with a 32" Samsung LED flat screen. The new TV is larger than the cabinet opening, but is so thin that mounting it outside of and up against the cabinet opening works fine.

The home theater system died so I measured the small opening in the cabinet where it was located and went to Best Buy and found one to fit that small opening. A Panasonic that I don't remember the model #. It came with new speakers of similar size although I did have to enlarge the cabinet openings slightly. I reused the old wiring. Do you have similar 5 + 1 speakers?

Mine has an Appllo Half Time microwave/convection. First one died after 3 yrs. Same model replacement still works. That model has a fan and duct to pull the hot air out from behind and exhaust it out the front so it does not trap that hot air behind the cabinet. But I don't think they are available any longer.

TVs are no longer expensive. A larger TV can probably easily be mounted even if it is larger than the cabinet opening. I prefer the DVD and sound system be separate from the TV. If you have 5+1 speakers, you may be able to install a home theater system. If you don't have 5+1, then a sound bar may work.
Excellent information - thank you so much - this is exactly the type of information I hoped to get! I thought that microwave was a convection combo.

Would you happen to know the wattage of the Apollo Half Time? Even if that model is no longer available, perhaps I could find one similar!?

As for the TV/5.1 surround sound system - I have an old Bose 5.1 system that might work out best - yes, after studying some of the pictures of the system, it looks like there are 3 speakers above/below the TV cabinet, a subwoofer that nestles behind the tiny 24" flat screen, as well as the 2 above the recliners in the rear.

I think I'll do as you suggest and drop a 32" flat screen in the living room - maybe move the tiny 24" flat screen to the bedroom at the foot of the bed, up above, in the cabinet area just over the dresser. It still may be bit too small for that distance, we'll see..

My next trip into Costco is in a couple of weeks, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a small home theater setup. Maybe I'll upgrade the swamp (home) and take the old tried & true Bose system up to the Monty in October!

Anyone else have some insight on their favorite upgrade for their 5-er or TT?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
30A outlet should always be 120V wired and a 50A is wired at 240V even though the camper 50A service/breaker panel never uses both legs to create 240V inside the camper, it just splits the two 120V legs between the two 120V AC units and other components on the breaker panel.

My guess is he might have scanned "camper wiring" and misunderstood what he was supposed to do (which is still to follow proper wiring for the plug type (30A or 50A)).

Sorry to hear the mess, any chance an insurance claim so neither you or your friend (sounds like you paid him back) are out money.

FYI, the converter (120V to 12V) only charges the batteries which then supplies power back to all your 12V items. I suspect all 12v items like bulbs, slide motors, are all OK? as the battery(s) should have buffered any spikes to those items but the 240V hit likely fried the converter prior to to that.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here are some pictures of my TV install. The first shows my articulating mount. I got carried away and built a cabinet insert to utilize the space behind the TV. You could just mount a piece of plywood across the opening and install the mount to it. But you can see how thin the TV is.

The second picture shows it stored. I attached some velcro straps inside the cabinet that I pull out and stretch across the TV for travel to make sure my articulating mount doesn't extend due to rough roads. I also mounted a narrow shelf below the TV for support with some adhesive felt pads stuck to the bottom of the TV. Don't know that it was necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1199.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	350   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1200.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	351   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1201.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	352  
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Very nice install!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Everybody makes mistakes. It's done no need to cry over spilled milk.
I was in Wyoming and a guy we was hunting with stepped on my glasses, destroyed them and later he said I thought you would be mad. I ask him if l screamed and cussed him would that fix my glasses. He said no. I told him if that wouldn't fix my glasses there was no need to do that it wouldn't accomplish a thing.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Never let a non RV trained electrician work on your electrical system.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
30A outlet should always be 120V wired and a 50A is wired at 240V even though the camper 50A service/breaker panel never uses both legs to create 240V inside the camper, it just splits the two 120V legs between the two 120V AC units and other components on the breaker panel.

My guess is he might have scanned "camper wiring" and misunderstood what he was supposed to do (which is still to follow proper wiring for the plug type (30A or 50A)).
Actually, he didn't even have any of the owners manuals (I had them with me), I think he took a general understanding of electricity...and stretched a little too far!

Quote:
Sorry to hear the mess, any chance an insurance claim so neither you or your friend (sounds like you paid him back) are out money.
Thanks for this. No, I won't turn it in on an insurance claim. It seems to have only fried 3 components (well, 4 if you include the inverter). He had the presence of mind to get the name of an electrician from the local RV center. They ordered the correct inverter and the electrician came out and installed that (he insisted that I let him pay for the inverter and the electrician, so I did)!

Quote:
FYI, the converter (120V to 12V) only charges the batteries which then supplies power back to all your 12V items. I suspect all 12v items like bulbs, slide motors, are all OK? as the battery(s) should have buffered any spikes to those items but the 240V hit likely fried the converter prior to to that.
Hadn't thought of that.... fortunately the slide motors seemed to be fine, as I closed it up prior to heading back to the swamp. Everything else seems to be ok. Additionally...with my limited knowledge of electronics I know enough NOT to mess with it, but it's been my experience that a catastrophic failure of the inverter that leads to the loss of several components isn't usually contained to just those few components. My hope is that the inverter endured the major damage and that only the few components that were replaced experienced the critical power surge - my hope is that I won't be chasing electrical issues for the next few months...didn't seem to affect the other components, although I do recall that our refrigerator wasn't getting cool enough (freezer worked fine, but the fridge just seemed to only be able to keep things "cool", not cold). I left thinking that perhaps it was just not as level as it needed to be?

Oh well, them's the breaks...
Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #15
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Here are some pictures of my TV install. The first shows my articulating mount. I got carried away and built a cabinet insert to utilize the space behind the TV. You could just mount a piece of plywood across the opening and install the mount to it. But you can see how thin the TV is.

The second picture shows it stored. I attached some velcro straps inside the cabinet that I pull out and stretch across the TV for travel to make sure my articulating mount doesn't extend due to rough roads. I also mounted a narrow shelf below the TV for support with some adhesive felt pads stuck to the bottom of the TV. Don't know that it was necessary.
Thanks! You did a wonderful job - and that is EXACTLY what I was looking for - right down to the installation of the mounting box so you could utilize the space for DVD storage! Great work and I really appreciate you posting the pictures!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Everybody makes mistakes. It's done no need to cry over spilled milk.
I was in Wyoming and a guy we was hunting with stepped on my glasses, destroyed them and later he said I thought you would be mad. I ask him if l screamed and cussed him would that fix my glasses. He said no. I told him if that wouldn't fix my glasses there was no need to do that it wouldn't accomplish a thing.
Lynwood
Very admirable and I agree. Life is too short to get mad, especially on vacation!

Jesus and my wife have been working on me about my temper, but in reality, I typically don't get emotional over the loss of things. Others doing things to me or my family with malice aforethought...well, now, that's a different subject and one I'm working on. ...but I couldn't get mad at my friend because he had done SO much for me (always has) - especially regarding the camper, but also with numerous other projects - I actually felt worse for him than for the damage.

The older I get, the more friends and friendship means to me. I can replace things, can't replace people.

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #17
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Never let a non RV trained electrician work on your electrical system.
Boy, has THAT lesson been driven home (again)! I could fill a library with the harebrained stuff I've done - most of it was completely unintentional!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #18
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Power outage

We had a power surge on our 2009 a few years ago. Lost similar items. When we replaced the surround sound unit the wires had newer up to date clips for the speakers. The hubby took off the new clips and spliced on the older clips so we could use the same speakers that where in orginally in the RV. Worked perfect.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote