Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Where to Put Kitty Litter Box?

We are in the process of getting a 3850FL. We also have a 6 month old kitten who will be traveling with us (short trips of 10 days or less.) I would like an out of the way place for Gnocchi's litter box. The only thing I can think of is in the shower when we're not using it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's going to be something for you to work out. Full timing with three cats, I can tell you the shower isn't the place for us. Some folks have put a cat door in a closet (like the coat closet or laundry area) others just pull out a recliner and put it back there. Our cats sleep in a cat condo so the litter box is in there. It's in our living room, different floor plan than your's but to a certain extent dealing with the same issues. I clean the litter box and bag the litter (tying the bag shut) twice a day and we use a quality litter so we don't have to deal with much in the way of smell issues. Also, wherever you end up putting the box, if it's not in a closet that has a vinyl floor, consider putting a small rug in front of it. That way you have something to shake out and less litter to vacuum from your carpets.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I know to some people it is weird but that was one of the big consideration for what floor plan too choose depended on where I could put a litterbox because I sure as heck did not want it in our bedroom or living room so we chose the 3402RL because it has the washer /dryer closet right at the entry door PERFECT but for you Maybe the Bathtub?? that is a tough one I am sure there is some people out there in Montanaland that has a FL with some good options
Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We put ours behind one of the recliners.

One word of advice put something under it that allows air to circulate beneath the litter box. Ours had started causing a stain under the litter box but the fellow that cleans the carpet for us got it out. He had some foam blocks about ½ thick and about 1 inch square with sticky on one side that has corrected the problem.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Thank, everyone. We do not have recliners in this floor plan. And no tub. And stackable washer dryer are going in the washer dryer closet.

My other idea was to put the litter box under the bathroom sink, leaving the doors cracked so she can get in.

Hmm... I'd love to hear from others who have this floor plan and cat(s).
Old 03-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
In our 3402RL it goes in the last cabinet next to the TV and we leave the door ajar.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #7
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
We have a 3582 and we tried the shower area and quickly found out that was not very good idea . We keep it under the sink in the commode area. We clean it frequently and we like the idea of the vent in that area if necessary. Seems to be working fine for now but you have to sweep up the the "stray" gravel to make sure it does not get into the soft floor covering.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Although our approach will probably not work for others, we have a medium sized wire pet crate that we keep the cat in most of the time when we are camping. Rather than a conventional sized litter box, we found a rubbermaid-type sink pan that fit in the bottom back half of the crate. We added a shelf (perch) above the "re-purposed litter box". You may be able to something along a similar line (without the perch of course) in the bathroom, but you will have to do some measuring to verify. I think there is room in the corner of the toilet area where you may be able to do something similar with a smaller dishpan in place of a conventional litter box. It would be easy to clean up spillage with the on-board vacuum if you selected that option with your rig. Another option that we considered was installing a pet door in the storage area beneath the bed and having a separate living area for the cat there (with some led lighting or similar). We cannot pursue that option yet since we are using every available inch beneath the bed for storage. Hopefully this spring will allow us to work on our organization and storage in the rig. We have only been in the rig for a week so far and have not had time to assess and arrange everything that we carry. Hope this gets you to thinking about your options and we will be awaiting your post as to the solution that you come up with.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
It's so hard, since I won't get to see our rig till Saturday and then I'll just be signing the papers and driving away with out it. That's going to be the longest 6 hours I'll ever drive, I'm sure!

I'm thinking more and more about putting a litter box under the bathroom sink. I'll have to make sure I bring a pad of paper, pencil and tape measure.

I'll let you all know what I come up with.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not that I'm recommending this since I don't know how this would work out since it looks like so much work, but I saw a rig once (a Class A) and the owner basically cut out a side of the rig and custom fit a "crate with a solid and top bottom" that protruded out the back of his rig. He had a thick insulated kitty door which his cats would push on to use this protrusion, do their business, then come back into the rig. I think he had siding he could mount if the weather got windy or rainy. This was so clever but did require some engineering. He had it set up so that he could remove when enroute and a cover to put in place to cover up the hole.

His solution was so obvious but quite a lot of work. He told me this kept the stink out real well and the crate was designed with a slide tray so he could clean the kitty litter while standing outside. I wish I had taken a picture. This was years ago and before I joined the MOC so I wish I could have shared it here.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Update:

I tried putting the litter box on the bathroom floor by the shower and sink, but that didn't work so well. Now it's under the bathroom sink. We leave one of the cabinet doors open. So far, so good.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
When we traveled with our cat, we took out the dining chair located in the back corner and put it there. Used a rubber backed bathroom carpet for underneath it that way we could shake out easier and wash as well. When we had four for dinner we just relocated the box for an hour or two. Did this for 3 years and worked well..
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #13
PatAnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #17208
We have the litter box issue figured out, but the cat is another issue. He is an inside/outside cat and we aren't sure how he will take to being inside most of the time. He wants to meow a lot when we put him in truck. We weren't going to have any more cats, but this kitten came to our house and we didn't feed him for two days and he didn't leave. It was feed him or watch him die. Anyone had this problem?
PatAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We travel and Fulltime with 2 cats and one cat could care less about going outside and one likes to come out and hang around the picnic table with us and if there is not too many other Rver's around I let him follow me around when I'm dinking around the RV, Both of them HATE the traveling part in the kennels and Meow and whine too much so we just put them back in the RV in their kennels where they can Cry all they want
Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Guess another reason why we have dogs
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Oddly, I posted this topic originally and since then a lot has changed...

We've gone on many trips with the litter box under the bathroom sink and it worked out well. I just cleaned it once a day an no problems. But then a neighborhood stray had kittens under our front porch. We ended up taking in the one no one adopted and that mama cat rejected, so we had two cats. The last trip we left them both home with a feeder and water fountain and they were fine. Then Wednesday Gnocchi, the original cat, escaped from the house without anyone noticing till hours later. I saw her in the backyard Saturday, but she ran off into our neighbors yard and we couldn't find her again. Our neighborhood is multi-acre horse farms, so she's probably loving life exploring the barns and the great outdoors.

We are getting a puppy at the end of June and July 18 we check into Disney's Ft. Wilderness. So it'll be interesting traveling with the puppy and probably the newer kitten. By the way, we've got a place for the litter box, but now I need to find a place for the puppy's Piddle Place (puppy litterbox) as well!