Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Water Pump Runs Constantly

The water pump has been working fine at stops along the way. Last night we were at full hookups and I took the opportunity to fill the fresh water tank. I switched the "Fill" valve back to "normal" once I saw water coming out the overflow.

Today when we stopped and used the water pump it continued to run as long as it was turned on. There was a bit of water being pumped out but definitely not the normal level.

I am thinking the check valve is the problem but I am not sure what else might cause the problem. I plan to pull it out tomorrow and see what I can find.

Any ideas you have as to a cause would be appreciated.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:35 AM   #2
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Air in one of the water lines will do that. Open each tap, the shower, flush the toilet, open the low point taps, the laundry taps until the pump shuts off.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:44 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
This happens to me many times after filling my fresh water tank. Every time it happens it's because I flipped the winterizing valve and didn't realize it.

Check your winterizing valve. I bet it's "on".
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks all, but not the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
Air in one of the water lines will do that. Open each tap, the shower, flush the toilet, open the low point taps, the laundry taps until the pump shuts off.
All faucets have been opened on shore water. No air bubbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
This happens to me many times after filling my fresh water tank. Every time it happens it's because I flipped the winterizing valve and didn't realize it.

Check your winterizing valve. I bet it's "on".
Winterizing valve is in it's normal position. If it were "ON" the shore water would have a problem too. It doesn't

Old 06-07-2023, 07:52 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Problem fixed. Despite working fine on shore water, and opening all faucets while running the on board pump, the pump continued to run. As a last resort in opened the low point drains and sure enough they had an air bubble. Once it was eliminated, the pump returned to normal. Never in 12 years with this rig have I ever opened the low point drains (we don't have to winterize). I was even afraid the valve(s) would be stuck as they had never been turned.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-18-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I never hook up to city water no matter where we're going. I always travel with a full tank and use the pump. The main reason for this is I know the quality of my water and also like you experienced if the pump continues to run there's a problem somewhere. If it happened to be a hidden leak somewhere it could be a disaster.
Also the only way I would leave water in all of my lines as if I was full-time. Everything gets drained out of my unit every time a trip is over. Water sitting in the heater or in the lines over months can get quite nasty
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #7
rodw6rod
Established Member

M.O.C. #18043
Interesting thread. I have the same problem of the pump continuing to run. It use to stop running when the lines were all "charged" so to speak.

I was thinking I needed a new water pump and was planning on that expense but I've been putting it off because recently we've been taking trips only to places that have shore power/water. Going to Death Valley in November with no hookups was leading me to think I would have to replace pump before that.

I will try to solutions suggested.

Rod Stafford
rodw6rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 08:20 PM   #8
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The water pump has been working fine at stops along the way. Last night we were at full hookups and I took the opportunity to fill the fresh water tank. I switched the "Fill" valve back to "normal" once I saw water coming out the overflow.

Today when we stopped and used the water pump it continued to run as long as it was turned on. There was a bit of water being pumped out but definitely not the normal level.

I am thinking the check valve is the problem but I am not sure what else might cause the problem. I plan to pull it out tomorrow and see what I can find.

Any ideas you have as to a cause would be appreciated.
Carl:
I am amazed by your post. I didn't think there was anything in an RV you didn't know about or had knowledge for us DYI people. Just kidding and happy rv'ing you two.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 09:03 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am by no means omnipotent on these beasts. And the older I get, the less I remember what I do know.
It just shows you learn something new (or in my case, relearn) every day.

Old 06-19-2023, 04:51 AM   #10
Emorin

M.O.C. #32877
Hi! I am a new member here and I saw this subject. Do you where is actually the water pump? I have the model 3400RL 2011 which should be similar to @Carl n Susan. I have been told that no plan does exist from the manufacturer
Old 06-19-2023, 07:38 AM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't have your model, but I think the pump is behind the wall in the convenience center. You have to remove the white plastic wall on the left side of the center and it is right there. Removal of the wall is easy.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:58 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is a photo of our pump, behind that white plastic panel in the pass through compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new check valve.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	14784  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I am by no means omnipotent on these beasts. And the older I get, the less I remember what I do know.
It just shows you learn something new (or in my case, relearn) every day.
That's funny Carl. I can relate! I have a word doc called "Old Dude" It's for all the things I can't remember I've even started to label things in the trailer
Old 09-08-2023, 09:16 AM   #14
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
That's funny Carl. I can relate! I have a word doc called "Old Dude" It's for all the things I can't remember I've even started to label things in the trailer
Thats a great idea, hope I can remember it till I have time to get to it.