Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #1
KYRattler

M.O.C. #27645
Going back to a Elkhart...

So, our 377FL is heading back to the factory for repairs. The frame from the pin box to the stepdown into the main cabin got tweaked. The front living slide out and it's surrounding exterior wall is buckled and cracked.

Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with "return to factory" repairs? Should we completely gut our belongings out of it? Expensive items are our Rhino 'honey wagon,' our Camp Chef triple-burner stove and various appliances. A myriad of other things would also need to be removed, but I'm wondering if we should start making room in the garage for 'camper stuff' in case we actually DO need to gut it.

Any help/advice is appreciated 👍
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220609_140023.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	12745   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220609_140335.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	12746  

KYRattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If it were mine, I would empty it. That way they don't have to move your stuff to get to their repairs. In the unlikely event something comes up missing you won't think, "Wish I would have emptied it" JMO
Old 08-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #3
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Make sure nothing is in their way. Remove any expensive things that worry you. When I left mine, I took nothing out and all was well. You should be happy with the factory repairs; they usually do a much better job than a dealer. If you have any other issues, list them and they will probably get taken care of.

Best of luck.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I knew they were going to replace the entire exterior wall when the took it to the factory. That requires removal of all cabinets. I emptied everything out of the rig before it left. In your case, they may just peel back the filon to expose the frame. But if it is in really bad shape, a new wall is not uncommon. You would think that is a major deal but they do it fairly regularly.

If it were me, and it was, I would remove everything I could.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Whenever we've had any repair (dealership for us), we've removed everything that is in the way, or might be in the way, or anything that could possibly be in the way. In other words, anything and everything in the affected area.

In the remainder areas of the camper, remove anything valuable. We travel with guns. If the camper is going to the shop, they are completely removed. So is the ammunition. We travel with computers and lots of "stuff" for the computers. All of that is completely removed. We travel with a considerable amount of extra cash ... you know ... green paper, not plastic, and a lot of change. Every penny is removed.

Sometimes, we simply do not know how long our camper may be at the shop. Things do happen. We ALWAYS remove every stitch of food and clean out the refrigerator.
If something happens and they have to keep the camper longer than expected, the last thing we want is for the refrigerator to loose is last breath of "cold" and things spoil.

You just never know what the repair will eventually entail. It may appear to be simple and end up being very complex and time consuming. Every tool is removed. I do not want them confusing any of mine with theirs and we come up with a loss. (Sorry, I'm just skeptical). And, remove any clothing you may need if the repair turns out to take longer than anticipated and you want your favorite clothes near you.

All our tanks are completely emptied .... completely. All electronics are unplugged. Everything is cleaned out. Anything in the camper that you use on a normal routine basis, remove it.

Again, the repair may be promised to be complete in 2 hours. The bottom line is, they may have it for 2 months. You just never know. Be prepared and make it easier for the service techs also.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote