Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 03:04 PM   #21
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Pulled from Ft Myers to Savannah. Unhooked and got fuel today. 45 gallons @ $5.299. $238 and change. Yikes. When we pulled down to Florida before New Years it was $3.439. $155 +/-.
$83 difference per tank (48 gallons, close enough)
We will cut back, but we’re still traveling. It’s what we enjoy doing. 1 less dinner away from the rv per week maybe, don’t know, but we’ll figure it out. Hang in there.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I really do not like saying this, but I really am sick and tired of seeing this same question pop-up on every camping forum on planet earth, over and over again.

We all know fuel prices are high and that will definitely affect how far one drives an RV for pleasure or entertainment. We all know why prices are high. That doesn't need to be hashed, and rehashed over and over again. Those that can still afford it will continue. Those that cannot, will not. But, life will go on.

It wasn't THAT long ago these exact same conversations and forum posts were discussed over and over, and over and over, Will the rising cost of fuel affect your travel plans.

This happened when fuel prices hit $2.00 a gallon, then $3.00 a gallon, at $4.00 a gallon again. Same story, same song-song.

Those who said they'd quit when and if it hit $2.00 a gallon ... well, they are still traveling. Life goes on.... you see!
Old 03-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #23
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Yes, this is the 3rd time we have cancelled a year of trip plans since covid started. Currently in Camp Verde Az. for 2 months, and then heading back to Tx./ Ok. for the summer and start looking for a permanent rv site and then to Fl. for the winter to do the same. September will be 5 years fulltime.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #24
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Once you leave Commiefornia fuel is 4.80-5.50.
I intentionally planned our trip without ANY Commiefornia travel.

Mark
Old 03-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #25
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Diesel

You want to travel, travel! You want to stay, stay! Gotta roll with the punches. I live full time in my Monty. I'm in an RV park. The price of diesel will not stop me from doing what I want. You can have fun wherever you go, or don't go. Almost every year this happens. Do what's going to make you happy!!!!
Old 03-20-2022, 01:46 PM   #26
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Looks like around here the prices are starting to come down ,a little anyway. How far they go and how long it stays down is yet to be determined.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:53 PM   #27
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
We will travel from central Texas up to Oshkosh for the Airshow and volunteer (work) for a couple of months as per normal. We live and work with a great bunch of folks and don’t wish to miss that experience. Not sure yet where we will go after Oshkosh but we will try not to let the expense deter us from living our lives. As we are not guaranteed tomorrow, we will continue to live as normal. At least until the money runs out!
Old 03-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #28
Dogman1

M.O.C. #27478
Northeast

No we’re not changing our plans. We’re in CT and keeping our plans for RI, VT, Cape and possibly NH. Diesel is about $5 a gal now. I’d rather spend a little more in fuel than I normally do and enjoy ourselves rather than save $ and stare at a 5th wheel in my backyard.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #29
Denali

M.O.C. #30527
Booked a trip to Yellowstone last year for this year. I budgeted $4.00 a gallon for diesel, around here diesel is $5.00 a gallon. I’m hoping it gets no higher than $6 bucks a gallon. I knew diesel was going up this year with the virus over and everyone wanting to go somewhere. If there is not a shortage I’m still going. At 76 time may be short
Old 03-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
May 2 when we get home from Florida we will have been on the road over 8 months, going to stay there about 2 months and start again. Some reservations already made more to go. I didn’t stay home over Covid and not going to now. We just bought another new Montana in November and at 74 who knows how many trips I have left? A friend hibernated 18 months in Covid fear, finally made reservations for a month away and died before he hitched up.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I really do not like saying this, but I really am sick and tired of seeing this same question pop-up on every camping forum on planet earth, over and over again.

We all know fuel prices are high and that will definitely affect how far one drives an RV for pleasure or entertainment. We all know why prices are high. That doesn't need to be hashed, and rehashed over and over again. Those that can still afford it will continue. Those that cannot, will not. But, life will go on.

It wasn't THAT long ago these exact same conversations and forum posts were discussed over and over, and over and over, Will the rising cost of fuel affect your travel plans.

This happened when fuel prices hit $2.00 a gallon, then $3.00 a gallon, at $4.00 a gallon again. Same story, same song-song.

Those who said they'd quit when and if it hit $2.00 a gallon ... well, they are still traveling. Life goes on.... you see!
I believe the question is will "these prices," change plans? For us it will. We will not travel across the country as in years past. However. We may go to places less than 600 miles from home. We used to go to Southern California twice a year.. Not yhis year. Not only has Disney raised their prices. ANTHONYS FISH GROTTO has closed, and diesel fuel is crazy nuts there.. not to mention Dodger or Angel's tickets. So yes, we will not go to places of the past, but we will still go and stay longer at places closer to home.. fun is fun..
Old 03-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #32
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
We usually travel for the winter. From Michigan to So Cal and back costed us twice as much as it did last year. Before we decide to do it again, we will wait to see what happens during the summer/fall. We will stay around home this summer. On the campground note, I didn't have any problems making reservations. I did notice, however, that the prices were up quite a bit from previous years.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:30 PM   #33
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I noticed diesel was down $ .55 on I 70 today to $4.44. I would expect volatility. I’m 74, and I have money. It’s time I’m short on.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:40 PM   #34
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I am in sunny SoCal where diesel is approaching $7/gallon. For me to just get out of the state the fastest I travel east on the 10 to Blythe. That will cost me $172 just to get to the border. I know fuel is less outside California but by the summer where will it be?

We were planning on going to Colorado in August (have reservations) and then just winging it from there going north and then west and finally coming home. That little jaunt will probably cost up to $3000 just in fuel round trip.

I'm not cancelling yet but it does give me pause considering all that is going on.

Wondering if anyone else is making changes or cancelling plans?

Has anyone noticed any decreased in occupied spaces in campgrounds?

Edit: This is not to be a political thread, go somewhere else. I just want to take the temperature of fellow RVers about camping this season. Like, if people are cancelling reservations I might have a better chance of finding a camping site while on the road. Or, finding popular attractions less crowded. We all have our opinions on why the prices are going up. It's the result I'm interested in finding out about. Thanks.
The price is already starting to come down, and will continue. How far is another thing. Consider yourself lucky you live in the USA. In Canada, the cost is now about $7.57 CDN for 1 US GAL, $5.94 in US$ and $9.09 CDN for a CDN Gal (our Gal is 160oz, only the US is 128)
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
Old 03-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #35
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
We are off to alaska with adventure caravans.
After covid delays we are all in
Yes fuel prices are a concern but not worth not going.
As said.. life is too short to worry about things you can’t control… cheers
Old 03-20-2022, 05:58 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
I noticed diesel was down $ .55 on I 70 today to $4.44. I would expect volatility. I’m 74, and I have money. It’s time I’m short on.

Can’t ever tell when you might check out.
Lynwood
Old 03-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #37
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Then why did you bother even reading and take the time to respond if you are so "sick and tired" of these kinds of threads. This a thread about whether or not your RVing will be curtailed due to the cost of fuel
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 03-20-2022, 07:45 PM   #38
Vic B
Established Member

M.O.C. #20850
Travel

We are in Donna Tx at 5 dollars a gallon Plan on going to Utah from here. I am not changing our plans as we never know if we will ever get a chance to do it next year. Enjoy while we can
Old 03-20-2022, 08:46 PM   #39
RetiredandRollin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This reminds me of my neighbor. He lived about 3/4 of a mile through the woods from us. He was a true American original. He had two saying I remember. Boy, we ain’t guaranteed another minute. And boy, any of these new cars will last you a lifetime if you drive them fast enough. Both are as true today as they were fifty years ago.
If you can go camping go. As for me. I’d rather spend my money than leave it for someone to throw a party after I die. Go enjoy yours because someone is going to throw a party after you check out.
Lynwood
So very well said!!!
Old 03-20-2022, 10:05 PM   #40
Rhortie1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26252
We’ve been on the road for 3 months and not slowing down. We are not planning to stop until maybe November when we will visit with our kids/grandkids during the holidays.
Closed Thread