Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #61
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
AC Freeze Up

Hi Scottz,

I have been plauged by AC issues for a while. My living room unit has always been an issue. Made the switch to Micro Air Units and I think they are great. FREEZE UP WAS CONSTANT

Right off the bat this season the unit started doing it more frequently. Last year I opened all my ducted work as it had collapsed. 1 1/4" PVC Pipe slipped into both sides of the duct work. Made a huge difference.

When it started this year I was puzzled a bit. So I went up on the roof, removed the unit cover and then the styrofoam plenum. Look down inside the return air duct and found two things. PVC pipe did not open the collapsed duct as far as I thought and the sliver duct tape holding/sealing the return duct to the structure of the RV roof had completely separated allowing an opening that appeared to allow the cold air supply side to bleed into the return system. So I reworked the opening to maximize the return air flow and resealed the entire cut opening with silver duct tape. Put the plenum back on and ensured the seams were well sealed but yet serviceable. Put the plastic cover back on and not a problem running on AUTO since.

2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #62
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I received this information from MicroAir tech support. I don't think they will mind me passing it on.

Dometic single zone systems suffer from a problem when operating cooling in automatic fan. The fan turns off with the compressor by design and this leads to frost formation on the coils. Eventually the coil temperature drops below 27° and the control board goes into freeze lockout. It remains there until the coil temperature rises above 55° where it will allow cooling again. Several users have reported they always ran the fan on continuous mode while cooling for that reason.

Older revisions of the 351 thermostat did not report this freeze lockout condition but the current version does. We are contemplating adding a software function to remedy this condition to bypass the lockout and run the fan if it occurs in a future update. For now, please be aware of this possibility and the solution. This is an inherent flaw in the control board logic and we will release a future update to compensate for it. Until then, make sure you are up to date and run the fan in low or high if freezing up occurs.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #63
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That sounds exactly like what they told me. I hope the update comes soon.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #64
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
My rear unit works fine but my front unit worked on powering up but not on thermostat calls to lower the temperature.

I relentlessly (lazy) used my in command remote to turn off the air conditioner and after several seconds turn it back on. And this works. Just before I was going to spend some time and money on a real solution everything started to work just fine and has continued working perfectly for 6 weeks or so.

I am sure that there is a relay in the gateway or on the control board in the Dometic Air conditioner that had oxidized contacts that are now clean enough to function from repeated start ups.

Some people had success using different thermostats and I am willing to bet that they are putting a higher power (VA) across the relay coil causing the relay to function fine. The initial power on with the in command system must also be providing more power to the relay coil. This has bad relay contacts or not enough coil power on a relay written all over it.

It’s a pain in the butt to turn it off and then on again to make it function but in my case enough usage led to it working normally now.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #65
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
Me too

I put in the MicroAir 351 for my Dometic living room one-zone. Works far better than the Dometic, but I noticed in auto it would turn itself off and not restart, even though the set temperature had not been reached. I am currently approaching one week camping with the new thermostat. Outside temps from 85-96 this week. Running on FAN-LOW or FAN-HIGH it works, cools,and does not stop, works great. Guess Tech Support is right.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #66
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I received this information from MicroAir tech support. I don't think they will mind me passing it on.

Dometic single zone systems suffer from a problem when operating cooling in automatic fan. The fan turns off with the compressor by design and this leads to frost formation on the coils. Eventually the coil temperature drops below 27° and the control board goes into freeze lockout. It remains there until the coil temperature rises above 55° where it will allow cooling again. Several users have reported they always ran the fan on continuous mode while cooling for that reason.

Older revisions of the 351 thermostat did not report this freeze lockout condition but the current version does. We are contemplating adding a software function to remedy this condition to bypass the lockout and run the fan if it occurs in a future update. For now, please be aware of this possibility and the solution. This is an inherent flaw in the control board logic and we will release a future update to compensate for it. Until then, make sure you are up to date and run the fan in low or high if freezing up occurs.
The only difference I have from this description is that, once they lock out, mine never start again. I have to turn them off then on to get them going again.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #67
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The only difference I have from this description is that, once they lock out, mine never start again. I have to turn them off then on to get them going again.
That was my problem, but it went away after months of turning air off, then on, feels like a dirty relay contact.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #68
Chrissy15

M.O.C. #28923
Montana 3855br AC issues

Hi! While I do not have issues with the thermostat, I do have issues with leaking from the A/C vent inside the living room. Had an RV service tech take a look and he said that it appears that the Dometic cover does not fit correctly on either of the 2 A/C units. Apparently, they newer units were not made with UV protection, therefore, they are shrinking and causing water leaks. My problem now is locating 2 new A/C covers that will fit and are UV protected. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Chrissy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:07 AM   #69
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Chrissy,

It sounds more like the a/c just needs to be pulled off and resealed. Its not a hard job. The covers may get sun bleached but they should be good for many years.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic ac, thermostat