Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Getting rid of the black tank flush back flow valve

We'll we now have the 3rd back flow valve on the black tank flush failing. Went to flush out the black tank and water was coming out of the valve. I want to get rid of this piece of junk and simply remove the valve and install a piece of pipe or a metal hose so that I don't have any more water leaks. Is there any risk to the water supply by removing the back flow valve? Would appreciate feedback from members that got rid of the back flow valve.

Thank you.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got rid of mine and went with an outside one on the end of the hose I use for the flush. Have used it for 6 years now with no issues. Would not recommend flushing without one. I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-108-9...flow+preventer
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
lundwc16
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17988
Got rid of mine a few years ago. I ran a new line direct to the black tank & used a back flow valve from one of the box stores found in the sprinkler dept.
John
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I took mine out - there was enough flex in my lines coming up from the basement that I could use a 90 degree pex fitting, and just bend the lines around to make it a 180.

I also use an external back flow preventer. The back flow preventer "assembly" I put together has a short hose which is easier to screw into the convenience center fitting, then the flush hose is screwed into it. The short assembly solves two problems.

Best (and code most places) to have a back flow preventer somewhere in that line, especially at a full hook up site where the back flow water comes out of the same spigot as drinking water.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
This is under tires.. oh well.

But just don't use the back flush..fill up bowel and that will work too
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
My suggestion would be to take it out and not replace it. Then get one of these to use on the end of your sewer boom:

http://www.valterra.com/product/flus...h-valve-boxed/

Not only can you back flush and fill your black tank for rinsing, but you can close off you black tank, open your gray tanks, and back flush/rinse them also. Also, after a day of traveling you won't have to deal with any seepage coming out when you remove your sewer cap to hook up for the night because the extra gate valve at the end of the Flush King keeps everything sealed off. It is the first thing we install on any RV we buy.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
Flush King Reverse RV Flush Valve

I installed this valve and had a blockage. Just connected my water hose to the water inlet, closed the drain valve and with the black tank valve open, I was able to back flush the blockage. Cleared up the problem in just minutes.

Had not thought about using it for everyday flushing and cleaning but now I think I will once a month.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Black tank flush back flow valve

Thank you for the responses. I will remove the back flow valve and connect a a pipe in the place and use an external back flow that DQDick recommended.

Thank you.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote