Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Electric slide motor gearbox defect

We got a 2016 3711fl about a year ago and while shopping for another Keystone model I was not impressed with the electric cable slides. Of course the salesman said they were reliable but had my doubts. Got home this weekend from an outing and went to open the living room slide on the door side and heard a crunching sound so I stopped extending and retracted the slide. Using the manual mode of operation to extend the slide (the slide switch is in the rear of trailer,arms not that long) it did the same noise and the chain sprocket was not turning but the motor was running. It is the gearbox that is bad and has to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this and how do you get the slide extended if the power and manual modes don't work to extend it?

madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I feel your pain. Mine has been in for 4 weeks, still not fixed. My problem was the motor would stall, took 4 or 5 start-stops to full extend or retract. Keystone's conclusion was too much drag on the teflon strips it slides on, so the dealer will install rollers instead. 2 more weeks before they get the parts.