Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
BDRM slide bottom panel

I was getting the rig out to start cleaning it for this season and everything but one fantastic vent worked fine. I had opened the slides the other day to get it aired out and the next day I shut the slides and got ready to hook it to the truck. I walked around to the service bay and found several broken pieces of black plastic sticking out of the bottom flashing of the bdrm slide. After I moved the rig I and got hooked to my 50 amp service I opened the slides and found the plastic on the bottom of the bdrm slide had shattered in about the middle and I had several pie shaped pieces hanging down and several laying on the ground. I have no idea how it happened and have checked the front compartment ceiling for screws and under the bed and found nothing that could have started it mess. The plastic is held up by the side trim and also contact adhesive. It has been pretty hot here recently but no worse than out in Nevada and New Mexico last year.
I will probably use my heat gun top make the bent pieces lay flat as some have a bend in them. I will try some new contact adhesive and see if I should even try to stick them back in. I fear that they will just rip right back off when I pull the slide back in. The only other option would be to cut all the broken stuff out and wait till I get to Goshen and ask them what to do.. Any ideas out there??

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Assuming that your slide bottom does not contact any other part of monte, I would remove all of the bottom to insure no compounding of your problems. Must be something that you can temporarily install to protect the slide internals...maybe 1/8" luan ply? just a random thought not knowing anything about the bottom of your slide. Like the idea of goshen coming up with how and what the fix is. John
Old 07-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree. Those folks would know what's necessary to fix it right. Please let us know what the answer is as this comes up frequently.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The floor in the slide is either 3/4 or 1 inch plywood, This is an 08 340 RLQ Big Sky same layout as the 3400 series. Bdrm is left front slide. This is just the black plastic 1/16 inch panel that covers the plywood. It goes all the way into the inside of the slide. That in itself makes it very hard to remove the entire panel. Kind of at a loss as to what the final solution is. I imagine the most of the front left bdrm slides have the exact same covering..
Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave what about removing all of the panel you can and just spray painting the plywood that is the floor for the slide? If you can glue or tape the remaining paneling that is inside the edge of the unit so it won't catch on anything, at least temporarily, when you open or close the slide. Painting it would protect it from any elements, mainly moisture, and then see what the Montana Service reps tell you what to do when you make it to the Fall Rally. The only thing I can think of to make the plastic break is the possibility of the cold up there in Wisconsin and it getting brittle because of age. The heat then expands the plastic when it warms up again thus opening up the crack or breaks and it then falling out when opening and closing the slide. JMHO
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:05 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same thing happened to our 06 3400.We removed what we could then had it replaced at the fall rally.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #7
kevin50
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16108
our 3582 had the same ting happen, it was just about new, we were lucky (sort of keystone had camping world take the bedroom slide out and replace it. I am sure at owners expense this would be costly. Its only purpose is weather proofing. I think something like spray rubberized coating would do the job. This thing only comes in contact on ours with 2 small rollers. ( probably the source of failure as the room has the ability to move up and down ,slightly in travel. Ask some RV techs if they might have alternative to replacement. good luck
kevin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Being that thin, I would probably be mixing up some fiberglass resin to coat the wood with, to make sure it didn't suck up lots of moisture. John
Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #9
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Had the same thing happen to our 2009 Montanna. I called the factory for directions on how to repair it. All they would do is instruct me to take it to my dealer. I tried duct tape first but it would not hold. I finally removed as much of the plastic as possible and primed and painted the plywood with a good exterior paint. No problems since I did this. Good luck.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
I just cut away all the broken plastic and found an area of very soft rotted plywood. As I cut the broken plastic away I found a lot of standing water. I am not sure where it came from as we have slide toppers and they are not in terrible shape. The silicone caulk on the end trim pieces is fairly intact. Not sure about the bottom slide trim caulk though. This has had to been going on for awhile though. The slides were in tight all winter so I guess it had to be the bottom trim caulk that failed. I can't seem to find an open area though..
Old 08-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Next step is to pull the slide and replace the floor. This is what we had to do last fall when we got to Quartzsite. While we were at the fall rally I talked to Keystone about this problem and they were not to concerned about my problems but maybe I did not whine enough.. It is not not hard to just need a couple of helpers.. You can get a shower panel from Home Depot to replace the bottom skin..
Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #12
Mac-2
Established Member

M.O.C. #12841
I also live in Wisconsin and have had the same thing happen to my bedroom slide (April of 2015). I made a jig to go around the slide so that I can jack the whole slide up off the bottom weather trim. Bought a 4'x8' sheet of ABS plastic from Midland Plastic for $23, but after pulling the broken bottom off I found the front corner of the floor is rotten. The whole bottom has signs of black mold and is not solid enough to hold screws. Amazing that there was no signs of water damage just last year.

I posted a topic about factory fixing this vs dealer. I don't know what to do next.
Mac-2 is offline   Reply With Quote