Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Formed Counter Top

We are in need of some information regarding who is the manufacturer of the formed granitelike counter tops found in the Montanas. We have a '04 3575. We would like to install a water filter which needs a hole bored through the counter top. We had an appointment at Camping World to install one and they refused to do it (of course, this was after we waited nearly two hours for our appointment). I would do it myself, but when I went to Lowe's for the proper bit, they said they needed the name of the manufacturer to get the correct one. Montana customer relations refuses to give out the names of their suppliers. We would also be interested in buying a matching splash board to put at the edge of the counter next to the sink where the water can run back into the living room.

Thank you,

MoBillTuxRexandPrincess

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I'm curious as to what reason CW gave for NOT installing? I mean that is what they are in business for! And this isn't brain surgery..... why couldn't they drill a hole the proper size and put in the product?!!

And Lowe's couldn't tell which bit to use? There are only so many types......

Gosh folks I think I'd just figure out what size bit you needed and then start drilling. If one type did not seem to be working maybe switch to another.

Try calling or going to the best kitchen supply house you have near you and ask them. Perhaps they can put you in the right direction.

Do let us know how it ends.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I believe the top is fiberglass. It is formed to look like a solid surface such as Corian. Normal hole saw or drill bit will make the hole.

I don't have them but look underneath (like from inside a cabinet), looks like fiberglass to me. I did a quick look at a show.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:36 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have the countertops in our 2005 and it came with information on cleaning and the name of the manufacturer:

It is called Lite-Gran and is sold by Better Way Products, New Paris, IN (574-831-3340)

Hope that helps!

For anyone interested, here are the cleaning instructions:

Soap and mild detergents will clean most stains. For stubborn stains use a white Scotch Brite pad and a nonabrasive cleaner like Soft Scrub.

For scratches, use a green Scotch Brite pad and an abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet. Cover an area large enough to blend the area being addressed. Use a circular motion.

For most stubborn stains and scratches start with 240 grit sandpaper then follow with green Scotch Brite pad and abrasive cleaner. Repeat if necessary. If you use sandpaper, wet surface area to control dust.

Do's and Don'ts:
Always run cool water when pouring boiling water into bowl.
Always use a hot pad or trivets under hot pots or dishes or heat producing appliances, such as frying pans and the like.
Always use a cutting board and never use a knife on countertop surface.
Avoid harsh chemicals like drain cleaners, oven cleaners, etc.
Only have a professional fabricator use power sanding equipment on the countertop materials.
Do not let cleaners with bleach sit on the countertop..wipe off immediately.

All this information was in our owners packet.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:22 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for sharing that! The info was not in our packet for our 2004.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Thank you all for the info. Stange that Montana customer relations wouldn't tell us the name of the manufacturer, yet it was in the package for the '05 models. CampingWorld just refuses to work on "special" type countertops--probably have ruined a few and they are expensive to replace. It is so nice to get a straight answer to a question for a change. I also am sure that it is fiberglass and that it should present no problem and I will install the water filter myself.

MoBillTuxRexandPrincess
Old 11-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Finally got the filter installed. Drilling the hole was no problem, just used a regular drill bit. Put in a Nature-Pure filter system and it seems to work great. Just before installation, we visited with friends who worked at Perry Monument in Ohio. The campground water supply was shut down because of ground water contamination. We got the filter system because of our travels in Mexico, but it seems that you need a good one no matter where you travel. We also had bad water in Canada because of drought conditions. Nature-Pure gets rid of about everything but salts. Great to have nice tasting water and the animals like it better.

Old 11-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
On our first Montana plant tour, the guide referred to the then new counter tops as "granite impregnated fibre-glass". Just as matter of interest, New Paris, IN is only about a mile from the Montana plant.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote