Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
tsoetae
Established Member

M.O.C. #17162
Chicago to Big Timber Montana

We are taking our first long trip this summer from Chicago to South Central Montana. We plan on pushing it the first day to the Badlands in South Dakota, spending 3 days in this area and then driving over to Big Timber, Mt. where we will spend 7 days. Big Timber is just North of Yellowstone. Any suggestions for us would be great. My 16 yr old son will be with us. WE are all outdoors type of people. We will have our golf clubs, fishing poles, any other suggestions are much appreciated. We will be there the last week of July and first week of August. Is three days too much for the Badlands, is there anything in between I should plan on seeing.

tsoetae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
If you are going to be in Big Timber be sure to visit the Shiloh Sharps Rifle Company. I have been there and had them build me a rifle, great rifles and great people.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Chicago to Badlands is a long drive for the first day.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Just my opinion but a day in the Badlands is plenty but you could spend a week in the Black Hills. Jim
Old 04-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tim-- Do you realize how far it is from Chicago to Badlands National Park in South Dakota? The shortest distance is nearly 850 miles. That is entirely to long to be behind the wheel with an RV in tow. That would be pushing it to be a two day drive and for many of us here on MOC it would be closer to a three day drive. I know you are trying to get in as much as possible during the vacation but you have to enjoy that time and do some relaxing and with the time frame you are planning is not going to make the vacation enjoyable. A short time schedule always makes things hectic and things happen that would not if you take your time and slow down. Please reconsider that first day drive and take it easy and enjoy that vacation.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
No matter how long you spend in the Badlands you must be around for either sunrise or sunset, it's beautiful. If you like hiking there is plenty of that in the Badlands, organized or on your own.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 AM   #7
tsoetae
Established Member

M.O.C. #17162
Thanks for all of the feedback, and yes the more I think about it the more I realize I might be pushing it the first day. I am used to non stop driving from Chicago to Houston (18hr), but that is without an RV behind me. I have been looking at the map and I think Sioux Falls might be a better stopping ground for the first day, get up early and get into the badlands before noon on the second day and still have plenty of time to get some sight seeing in. Any other advice for the trip is always appreciated. Also thanks Maximo for the Shiloh Sharps Rifle Company idea, my son and I are both avid hunters and would really enjoy this. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Tim, I am just going to throw this out there for what it is worth. I have found that I can only average around 55mph during a days travel. That is not to say I am actually driving 55mph, but if I maintain a general speed of 62-66mph and stop every 2 or 3 hours that is what my average usually comes out to at the end of a day.

So even if I wanted to run from 6am to 6pm, which I never would pulling 16,000 pounds behind me, I could only cover just over 600 miles. Remember there are good reasons commercial vehicles are restricted to 10 hour driving days.

Good luck, have a good vacation, and be safe.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #9
tsoetae
Established Member

M.O.C. #17162
Thanks JandC, point well taken. I will be studying the map and looking at the distances again to get a better understanding of exactly how far I want to push it. I only have a couple of weeks off of work so I am a little time constraint. However I understand the importance of safety. Again thanks everyone for you comments.