Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
Montana_2065

M.O.C. #2065
Crack in the bedroom slideout

I have a 3670RL Montana 5th wheel and my family and I have been pleased with it. However after waxing it, I noticed a 2" crack located from the bedroom slideout. This crack is on a 45 degree angle eminating from the top left hand corner of the slideout. It is very close to the outside light that is right next to it. I am posting this question as it sounds different from the other crack issues that have been reported. Is this a stress crack or is something really broke?

Montana_2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Montana_2065

M.O.C. #2065
After reading my post, I may of made it not clear but the crack is on the fiberglass siding of the trailer and not the slideout itself. The location of the crack, top left hand corner of the bedroom slideout is where it is seen. If I close the bedroom slideout the crack still shows beyond the slidout lip. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a warranty issue or am I stuck?
Montana_2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 09:27 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hey JeffS,
The good news is you noticed it while its reasonably small. More good news is this type of crack can be repaired as good as new.

Is it a stress crack? Probably. It needs to be looked at by a knowledgeable RV repair facility. Before the crack is just repaired you'll need to know what caused it. Possible cause is a weld in the corner has partially failed. Which means the weld needs to be repaired before the Fiberglass.

Do contact Keystone as to weather on not it's going to be covered. It would be covered if under original warranty and still may be covered if over warranty. The Keystone people have been known to be pretty good about things like this.

Hopefully some member out there will give a Name and PH# of someone to ask for at the factory.

Don't get angry with them, a little Honey can go a long way when talking with them.

We are wishing you the best.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
As i type my Montana is at the dealers for the dreaded bed room slide crack.Mines locted at the bottom of the slide.The crack is about 4 inches long.

But the big story on action news is that the service manager got into my brand new dodge to back up the Montana to where they wanted to work on it.and he jacknifed the trailer and put a nice size dent in my truck.I WAS SICK.

Took it to a body shop near me.To fit it right the body shop has to disconnect the fuel tank,take out the 5th wheel hitch,unbolt the bed of the truck to move it back.so they can blend the paint in right when spraying.

total repair cost--materials 25 bucks
labor--$3,475 dollars.

Went back to the RV dealer gave him the bad news.He cut me out a check with out blinking an eye.

the truck goes in next Monday
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Okay Harleyrider.... now go with the cheap repair and pocket the rest!

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
If my truck was older I would go with the cheap repair.But being new I want it done right.Plan on holding on to this truck untill my hair turns gray.Opps its already gray.

The shop I deal with doesn`t go the cheap easy route.He said if you want to save money go to Maco.i`ll stick with him.Hes done work for me before and its beautiful when hes done.

Plus it an`t costing ME a dime.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:51 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
GOOD FOR YOU! I'm so glad you aren't going with the "easy way" I don't think you would be happy with that since your truck is so new. AND, I'm glad the dealer is paying for it, you didn't contact your insurance company did you?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by harleyrider

As i type my Montana is at the dealers for the dreaded bed room slide crack.Mines locted at the bottom of the slide.The crack is about 4 inches long.

But the big story on action news is that the service manager got into my brand new dodge to back up the Montana to where they wanted to work on it.and he jacknifed the trailer and put a nice size dent in my truck.I WAS SICK.

Took it to a body shop near me.To fit it right the body shop has to disconnect the fuel tank,take out the 5th wheel hitch,unbolt the bed of the truck to move it back.so they can blend the paint in right when spraying.

total repair cost--materials 25 bucks
labor--$3,475 dollars.

Went back to the RV dealer gave him the bad news.He cut me out a check with out blinking an eye.

the truck goes in next Monday
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Yes, it is a good thing to go the proper route in fixing the truck. It appears the dealer got off easy and he knows it that is why he gave you the check right away. Now his insurance premium won't be affected.

But on the positive side, you are getting your truck fixed properly at a shop of your choosing and the person responsible for the damage is paying without a fight. And, the dealer will probably make sure the repair on your Montana is done to perfection also.

If there had to be a winner declared in this event, I'd say it's a tie.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Nope I didn`t contact my insurance company-their was no need to.As for coming out the winner.Well I would have liked to have had no dent made.but as it goes I feel good that it is being done the right way and its not costing me a dime.

I think next time I visit the dealers i`ll back the Montana in to the spot.

They brought in the "Montana Team" to deal with the crack.really have no idea what the "Montana Team" is???

But I sure hopw their better then the "Phillies Team"
Old 09-18-2004, 02:59 AM   #10
Montana_1908

M.O.C. #1908
My 2850 (2001)has a crack going diagonally down and to the left from the lower left corner of the bedroom slideout. The dealer sent a photo to Keystone and they offered $325. The body shop estimates $1150. Is this reasonable? Correct? If there was a small difference I would fix it.
Montana_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JeffS

After reading my post, I may of made it not clear but the crack is on the fiberglass siding of the trailer and not the slideout itself. The location of the crack, top left hand corner of the bedroom slideout is where it is seen. If I close the bedroom slideout the crack still shows beyond the slidout lip. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this a warranty issue or am I stuck?
Call Keystone and talk to Customer Service. Tell them of your problem. Be nice and tell them what has happened and that you wonder if there is something they can do for you.

We had the same problem with our 2000 3555RL except that we had 3 cracks at the bedroom slideout and one at the entertainment slideout. We called them -- they made an appointment for us on August 2, 2004 --we took our unit in and they had it repaired in two days! They did outstanding work, going the extra mile to fix it like new. We've never been treated better by any company!

We met another couple who complained all the time they were there having work done -- needless to say they didn't get the same royal treatment we received, although they were treated courteously. That's why I say to be nice.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
Montana_1908

M.O.C. #1908
Sounds reasonable. I'll try it and let you know how it works.
Montana_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote