Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Berg extended run system for portable generators

I didn't know what board to post this question on so a I choose this one.

I use two Honda 2000 generators when I don't have access to electricity. A few years ago I purchased the Berg extended run gas tank and hose system. One tsnk snd two hoses with the red cap run both generators. I know that system must be air tight to run. That worked great for the first couple of years. Now my My system is not pulling gas from the external tank. I have replaced the tape on the generator (which was worn some). Otherwise, I can't figure out why this won't pull gas. Any ideas are appreciated. If this is any help, when I have the hose disconnected from the generator but connected to a full gas tank gasoline slowly pours out of the end of one of the the hoses. I have to keep the hose connected to the generator or I lose about 1/8 a gallon of gasoline from a completely full tank. The two may not be related.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by edmojenks

I didn't know what board to post this question on so a I choose this one.

I use two Honda 2000 generators when I don't have access to electricity. A few years ago I purchased the Berg extended run gas tank and hose system. One tsnk snd two hoses with the red cap run both generators. I know that system must be air tight to run. That worked great for the first couple of years. Now my My system is not pulling gas from the external tank. I have replaced the tape on the generator (which was worn some). Otherwise, I can't figure out why this won't pull gas. Any ideas are appreciated. If this is any help, when I have the hose disconnected from the generator but connected to a full gas tank gasoline slowly pours out of the end of one of the the hoses. I have to keep the hose connected to the generator or I lose about 1/8 a gallon of gasoline from a completely full tank. The two may not be related. Also, the threads on one of my generators are slightly stripped, but I can get the cap tight.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I had put together a single extended run system using another brand cap, hose and fittings. We ran about a week using this setup and I discovered the fill cap on the Atwood 6 gallon tank stopped venting properly and would starve the generator until it quit. Loosened the cap on the Atwood tank a bit, and solved the problem. You either have a leaking gasket on one of the Berg caps, the cap on the tank is not venting, or you have a leak in one of the hoses or fittings.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I don't know if you bought it from Wise or not, but I hear they are very helpful. I would retape the fittings first and look for any other leaks.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Finally figured it out. The two fuel lines are attached to a plastic attachment that screws into the fuel tank. That was loose. Thanks for the two responses. This system works great when it works, but it has to be air tight.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad you found it and it was a simple fix.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Knew it had to be air breaking the vacuum somehow, but didn't have any idea what else to suggest. Glad you found it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote