Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Door Lock Recall Problem

Got the replacement cylinders keys for the entry door and called to inquire about the locks on the basement storage doors which on my rig are the same as the deadbolt on the entry door. The deadbolt on the entry door is the one that could lock someone inside. I asked if just using the red deadbolt latch from the inside might jam the deadbolt thus locking you in and she said yes that is possible. I also told Fastec the existing top key for the entry door has global link on it and she said that is not their lock or key. The instructions state replace both cylinders on the entry door which includes the cylinder with the key with global link on it and the deadbolt (FIC). Both the two replacement keys are labeled FIC and they wanted the two existing/old keys returned. So asked about the storage compartment locks and they agreed for me to keep the existing FIC keys. I said not happy with having more keys and all coded FIC so you can't tell which is the entry door deadbolt or the storage compartment key. Now, I know the FIC key is the deadbolt and the storage compartment key. Anyone else having similar problems? I am looking into replacing all locks and hopefully not made by Fastec!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
My door keys and storage compartment keys have always been different. It would be nice if the weren't. It's also too bad they can't send tumblers that fit the existing keys, since the wife and I had to search for a place to have two spares made.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Again called and complained. They transferred me to Whitney at Fastec. Explained the problem again. She said the new FIC keys will fit both new cylinders on the entry door. She calls the top lock the "latch" lock which sounds reasonable. Of course the bottom is the deadbolt and the problem. She suggested getting a key cover for the storage compartment keys so can tell them apart. One of my problems earlier was sending four keys back to them and only have one key for each new door lock. That is solved if the new keys works on both locks when I change the cylinders. Probably cheaper to go to Walmart and get key covers so can tell storage compartment keys from door entry ones. Whitney was puzzled by the Global Link key for the latch lock. Montana probably used what they had for the latch key?? If what they say is not true once I venture out to the rig, I will let you know.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The keys listed in the recall have specific numbers on them, when I checked the two keys that either open my door or the storage, I found I had keys with a number on the list, HF315 and FIC on the black part of the key. Well that is the key for my storage locks not my door.

My door key numbered G338 is a Global Link key and it works on both the latch and deadbolt tumblers. It cannot be extracted in the 9 o'clock position and the red button on the inside of the door will open it when locked. I have no apparent problems according to the recall.

I always keep a few tools in one of my kitchen drawers, I have made sure there is a Phillips screwdriver there so that if something should happen the door latch can be taken apart from the inside thus enabling the unlocking of the door.

Seems some of the information on the recall is incorrect or incomplete.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Like Tom said, my storage key has always been different than my door key. I simply drilled a small #30 hole in the head of the storage key for easy identification. 2 keys instead of one 1 has not been an issue for me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Replaced the cylinders and the new keys do work in both locks. The Global Link I have is G 301 and would not open the deadbolt. The old FIC key is HF 315 and opened the storage compartments and the deadbolt. It is on the recall and yes you could take it out in the 9 o'clock position. As soon as I heard about the recall, I also placed a Phillips screwdriver in the kitchen. It seems you should be able to dismantle the lock from the inside. You may have a good idea on identifying the correct key by drilling a small hole. I always have trouble in the dark getting the right key.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Recall??? I almost locked myself out the other day. Where is the info on this?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAMalody

Recall??? I almost locked myself out the other day. Where is the info on this?
Mike, Go here: http://www.fastecindustrial.com/
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Thanks. I will check that out.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I had talked with dealer about obtaining replacement locks so storage compartment and deadbolt were the same. They said they called Keystone and Keystone said my situation was unique and just "luck" that the keys were the same.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

I had talked with dealer about obtaining replacement locks so storage compartment and deadbolt were the same. They said they called Keystone and Keystone said my situation was unique and just "luck" that the keys were the same.
That sounds possible. If one wanted, and the door keys fit in the locks, they could pull the compartment locks out, disassemble the tumbler assembly and recut it to match the door keys. Or they could take them to a locksmith and have them do the work. It's not hard.