Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
Montana_314

M.O.C. #314
Trouble with roof on slideout

We purchased a Montana Big Sky 3295RK in March of 2003. We immediately had trouble with the roof on the living room slideout.
The roof is peeling back on the outer edge when the slideout is put out. We took it back to the dealer and they just put a piece of peel-off rubber roof tape on it. Of course, that didn't fix the problem. The way it was designed, it looks like there will always be a problem with the roof. We now have it in a shop and no telling how much it is going to cost us to really have it fixed. Has anyone else had a similar problem with their slideout roofs? Does anyone know if there is only a one year warranty on the rubber roofs? Waiting to hear from you all.

Montana_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
The roof is covered under its own warranty for 12 years I believe. It's a long time whatever it is. As for your problem..... Is the problem on the slide itself or on the roof where the slide is located? Our slides do not have rubber roofs on them. And since you indicated the problem has been since day one.... it should all be covered under warranty since they have never really fixed the problem. Good luck and I'm sure there will be many folks come along with some specific ideas and help. Good luck.

RVWheels/admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
My slides have rubber roofs on them, dont know what it would be if it isnt. Its not metal. I had one spot peeling back but fixed it and its ok now.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
hnugent
I stand corrected! Our roof on the slides is exactly as you described. Funny how the mind starts playing more and more tricks on you as you get older!

So back to your concern. It should still be under warranty if you bought new. Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the post. Something to think about. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Has anyone else had a similar problem with their slideout roofs? Does anyone know if there is only a one year warranty on the rubber roofs? Waiting to hear from you all.
======================================

Yes we have the same problem and I'd venture that a lot of others do also. I have been watching it happen and trying to figure out the best solution. What I notice happening is that the rubber seal that closes the gap between the side of the trailer and the top or roof of the slideout fits very tightly against the roof of the slide. So tight in fact that it acts like a rubber squeegy and as you close the slide. It then tries to peel up the tape seal between the top of the slide and the backside of the face of the slide which extends 3 or 4 inches above the top outer edge of the slide roof. Each time you close the slide that rubber seal slides across the retracting roof of the slide until the edge of it contacts the edge of the sealing tape used as flashing for the outer edge of the slide roof. Each time it closes the rebber seal peels up the flat edge of that tape just a few hundreths of an inch. Soon you notice it as a curl all along that edge. The curl will continue until the tape (flashing) fails unless it is somehow protected. So far I have forgotten to discuss this with my dealer but will soon. I think that contact cement or some other kind of adhesive may be in order. Maybe just a thin wide bead of that white sealant that is used on the screws along the front and rear roofing edges might work if placed in a straight line on the slide roof in front of the tape flashing to lift that rubber seal up and over that edge that is being peeled. My descriptions almost need pictures to get the point across.

I am surprised that others havn't noticed this situation also. Somebody may have this figured out and fixed already.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had a leak in the roof on our large slideout. I taped it with appropriate roofing tape while the roof was damp. It never sealed the leak so I tried removing the tape and retaping. Wrong! I created a whole in the roof. Had the dealer install a new roof and haven't had a problem with it since (18 months).
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by ols1932

We had a leak in the roof on our large slideout. I taped it with appropriate roofing tape while the roof was damp. It never sealed the leak so I tried removing the tape and retaping. Wrong! I created a whole in the roof. Had the dealer install a new roof and haven't had a problem with it since (18 months).
-------------------------------------------

Glad to hear that slide roof replacement is a possibility.
Can you relate the finacial arrangements. ie. Cost of replacement?........... Warranty fix........ etc
Old 08-07-2004, 05:17 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Random Line

Quote:
Originally posted by ols1932

-------------------------------------------

Glad to hear that slide roof replacement is a possibility.
Can you relate the finacial arrangements. ie. Cost of replacement?........... Warranty fix........ etc

It was not under warranty. The cost was $400 which I didn't think was too much. The job was done at the dealer's facility (Ketelsens RV in Marion, IA) and was done extremely well. I've purchased six RVs from this dealer in the past 30 years and will go back again (if I wear this one out).
Old 08-07-2004, 06:32 AM   #10
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
You used the term "appropriate roofing tape". Where can I find that product when I need it?
Old 08-07-2004, 09:14 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Random Line

You used the term "appropriate roofing tape". Where can I find that product when I need it?
It's called Eternabond. It comes in a 4" x 37' roll and sells for about $72.00 (Presidents Club price) at Camping World. Many RV dealers sell it for about $85.00. You can get the Eternabond Patch (6" x 6") for $11.00 at CW, but I'd recommend a roll. It comes in handy. You put it on by cleaning the area in which you desire to place it with a rag and rubbing alcohol. Be careful when you place the tape down because once it sticks you can't move it.

The tape has a backing on it that you have to remove to expose the adhesive. After I put it down, I rub the tape down with a dry rag just to be sure the entire surface is adhered to the roof.

You can buy it in UV reflective aluminum and White. The tape has a built in primer.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #12
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7

Thanks first time I heard of it. Sounds like good stuff to have on board.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Random Line,
Check out bestmaterials.com for better price on eternabond products.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Random Line

Yes we have the same problem and I'd venture that a lot of others do also. I have been watching it happen and trying to figure out the best solution. What I notice happening is that the rubber seal that closes the gap between the side of the trailer and the top or roof of the slideout fits very tightly against the roof of the slide. So tight in fact that it acts like a rubber squeegy and as you close the slide. It then tries to peel up the tape seal between the top of the slide and the backside of the face of the slide which extends 3 or 4 inches above the top outer edge of the slide roof. Each time you close the slide that rubber seal slides across the retracting roof of the slide until the edge of it contacts the edge of the sealing tape used as flashing for the outer edge of the slide roof. Each time it closes the rebber seal peels up the flat edge of that tape just a few hundreths of an inch. Soon you notice it as a curl all along that edge. The curl will continue until the tape (flashing) fails unless it is somehow protected. So far I have forgotten to discuss this with my dealer but will soon. I think that contact cement or some other kind of adhesive may be in order. Maybe just a thin wide bead of that white sealant that is used on the screws along the front and rear roofing edges might work if placed in a straight line on the slide roof in front of the tape flashing to lift that rubber seal up and over that edge that is being peeled. My descriptions almost need pictures to get the point across.

I am surprised that others havn't noticed this situation also. Somebody may have this figured out and fixed already.
I've not noticed this problem on ours but will check it out. Do any of you think more frequent lubrication of the seals to keep them pliable would help?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We recently had the need to patch a small hole on the main roof. It was about the size of a quarter with several smaller little holes right around it. Went to CW and got a 6 inch Eternabond patch and it went on with no problem. Covered all the holes so we're all set for the wet stuff. I will end up using the Eternabond product again but will buy from some other dealer. It is a bit expensive at CW. The link someone provided here sells the same thing much more reasonably.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:53 PM   #16
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Maybe a strip of earthabond tape would solve the problem.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote