Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
Montana_1741
Established Member

M.O.C. #1741
Big List First Time Back for Warranty Repairs

My husband and I just bought a 2004 3670RL Montana Fifth Wheel. We have been waiting a long time to realize this dream. I fell in love with the floor plan and it was reasonable priced. We saw a lot of Keystone on the road so figured they knew how to make a unit or two.

This is our first list:

-hydraulic pump won't work
-both axles bowed upward
-four tires bald on the inside
-brakes embarassingly noisy.
-propane leak outside of unit
-window know broken off and hanging in the curtin
-shower door fell apart and crooked
-oven vent hood light only workes sometimes but never if the hood light is on
-air conditioner makes a grinding noise
-outside light under neck works intermitinly
-two drawers won't stay shut on any trip
-snap on sliding door is not strong enough to hold door
-Wonder Fan won't open unless your on the roof
-bottom seal under slide out is hanging off
-carpet is getting black where slide outs are and bunches up when one is brought in
-black water tank clean out sprayer doesn't work
-tank fill guages do not work
-can hardly get the key in the door
-one slideout keeps sheering bolts off.

Our dealer who we absolutly love, has fixed all and waiting on the pump. I guess it is the dealer that makes the purchase a pleasant experience even with problems like these. I have e-mailed Montana. I fear I will not get a responce as others haven't. Montana said that they won't replace the tires until they look at the axles. They have said that we overloaded the unit. We weighed in 2000 lbs under limit fully loaded. I have not even started to fill the unit yet. I am afraid that the new axles will do the same thing. Has anyone had this axle problem. Also I have faith that if Montana doesn't provide tires, our dealer will. I have to agree that the unit is appealing and it is a shame that quality control lets so much pass by. They have the potential to be a great product. I really love the fireplace. I am a New Englander in Kentucky and its great on a cool evening or when the heater is just too much. My husband bought me a F350 diesal to replace a F250 Gas burner to pull it with and when it is my time to drive it I also forget that it is there it pulls soo true. I hope although that the problems stop here.

Montana_1741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
BamaBrowns
Established Member

M.O.C. #1527
Sorry to hear about all your problems. We have just purchased the same unit and have taken it out twice and both times have left it with the dealer for repairs.

The first set was just the expected loose fittings and doors not staying shut.

The second trip out we did not set out to look for problems as we did on the trial run. However, the mamaged to find us anyway.

The water valves under the shower that we had checked the first time out continued to leak. Several other latches on the cabinets worked loose. We found that the release valve on the black tank did not seal tight. (This can be a big surprise when removing the cap to hook up the sewer hose.) Our hydraulic pump leaked fluid into the pan underneath it. The closet door would not stay shut when travelling. (My husband kept assuring me that I was not closing the door correctly on the first trip.) The really big problem occured when relaxing with a cup of coffee before starting to pack up for the trip home the power went out and smoke started boiling out of the plug up by the bathroom sink. The converter completely fried. The really scary thing was that the smoke alarm never went off.

It took our dealer 5 weeks to get the replacement unit from Keystone for the converter. It was really depressing since this is prime camping season here in the South. We have finally gotten it back today and hope to take it out again after all the crowds for the 4th of July leave. We have a trip planned to San Antonio for September and certainly don't want to have any major problems that far from home.

I agree with you that our dealer has been great but it still gets frustrating that you can buy something new and continue to have problems.

We still love the floor plan and the ammenties.
BamaBrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
First, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Next a few comments about a few of the items on your list:

-two drawers won't stay shut on any trip---This is pretty common, has been discussed here on the forum a few times, and is not specific to Montana. We do a couple of different things, one--ignore it, like in the bedroom, when the drawer can only go about 2 inches before it hits the bed. Next: velcro strips to hold the doors/drawers closed. Next: extra hooks on the inside or adjust the ones you have. We used to have a TT and would take bets on what we would find OPEN every time we opened the door. It was part of the adventure!

-snap on sliding door is not strong enough to hold door -- we found this happened too, and our fix was to shorten that plastic strap. Made it fit real tight, took out the slack. Has not happened since then.

-tank fill guages do not work -- check the search engine on the forum, this also has been discussed a number of times. Our experience, NOPE, they don't work much, and we do not rely on them much either.

-both axles bowed upward
-four tires bald on the inside
-brakes embarassingly noisy.
For all three of these issues, again, use the search engine here on the forum, another new member, just the other evening posted something about a recall on the brakes on 2004 units?? We have the same issue with our tires after 6000 miles, and we are not over loaded either. Within the last 4 to 6 weeks, a RV service person asked (on this forum) if people were having trouble with balding tires, see our post there about the subject. Note: these are all issues related to the axle and the company (Alko Kober) that manufactures them, in OUR opinion.

Congrats on having a great dealer! As you will find reading the posts here, not all buyers do have a great dealer. SIGH.

I'll let others tackle some of your other issues if they wish.

Cheers and Happy Trails.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Re the drawers. Unless there's something very heavy pushing the doors open the culprit may be alignment of the latch. We found if the male part of the latch is not perfectly aligned with the center of the female side then the doors/drawers do pop open too easily. Worth a try, they're adjustable.

The noisy brakes. Sounds like you may have the same "problem" we do. I understand one person said having the brake drums turned solved this problem. I also heard someone say there's a recall on the 2004 models for this problem and Keystone will fix it, probably through the dealer. Ours is a 2003 and I'm trying to find out if the recall covers ours, too. The noise is a truly loud and horrendous groan/screech but not a high pitch screech usually related to brakes. It's more of a sound of 'brake grabbing'. You might check with the dealer about the recall. If not, and you're under warranty still, I would think it would be a warranty item.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Hi Curmuddgeon,
We just picked up our 3280 from the dealer for our first(and hopefully last)warranty work.
We had the seals in the basement(both sides)partically off. The seal around the door was flapping in the wind on the way home first time. The seal under the bedroom slide was loose and rubbing under the slide and gouging the slide bad. Our steps were crooked and broke. Then like other members of the forum we had rust coming down from the latches. They replaced them with plastic ones and while we were there and my husband was checking everything out the basement door fell on his head. The changed them right there and then and put better chrome ones from the showroom on. They said with wax they shouldn't drip the rust. They fixed everything and we left happy. Hopefully no more problems. This dealer is Burnside RV at Houghton Lake, Michigan.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 04:17 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We have the same tire "balding" problem, inside of the wheel on all four tires. We are also not overweight. Both axles are slightly bowed upwards, but I believe that is intentional, to give a slight "toe-in" so as to have a level tread surface with the trailer weight on the axles...which, obviously, there isn't enough of, due to the tread wear pattern.

Please let us know what the dealer has to say about that situation...

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:08 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Wow, that is quite a list that needs to be taken care of. I have the same unit, and have not had it back to the dealer yet. I do most of the minor repairs and adjustments myself. I know there is always some adjustments that are needed after towing the 5er over the bumpy and winding roads. This unit is put together very well. I did have the problem of the black tank flush not working. Check some of my posts to see what I did to take care of that problem. I am on my second trip with it right now, have towed it about 700 miles so far and the only thing is the open drawers. I just close them. I will try to adjust them as sreigle suggusted. Keep us posted as to how your problems get resolved.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
BamaBrowns,

You wrote: The water valves under the shower that we had checked the first time out continued to leak.

Are you talking about the shower faucet?? Is that where you are leaking?? That seems to be a pretty common problem, please use the search engine here, and read the number of posts concerning this situation. Someone posted a "fix". Try it, for us it worked!

If you are not talking the faucet, then this post is not much help!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #9
BamaBrowns
Established Member

M.O.C. #1527
CountryGuy,

The problem was with the faucet. The dealer has replaced the "cones". It appears that they were pinched during installation and the more we tightened the fitting the more they leaked.

You have to understand that we seem to have plumbing problems everywhere we go. It doesn't matter if its in the 5er or home. It seems to be just one of those burdens we are meant to bear.

I will look at your post for information in the future.

Thanks!
BamaBrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keith & Janet, I had a good chuckle over your plumbing problems comment. I don't have the problem of them following me but I live in dread of me doing any plumbing work. I usually fix the problem but then other things nearby start leaking that were fine before I got in the vicinity. I know people say plumbers are overpaid but in my book they earn every cent.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:06 PM   #11
Montana_1741
Established Member

M.O.C. #1741
We got our 5er back just one week after taking it back to the dealer. They replaced the axles and the hydraulic pump. Only had to wait one week for both parts. Montana said that the warranty didn't cover tires. Replacing the axles on a six month old unit but not the tires sure sounds like a loop hole to me. I am not happy with their attitude although they replaced the hydraulic pump with no problems. Apparently they can't accuse you of overloading your hydraulic pump. Our dealer, Youngbloods in Mayfield Kentucky are the greatest. They treated us tops. Service was outstanding. We reccommend them to everyone. They backup their sales.
Montana_1741 is offline   Reply With Quote