Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2004, 06:23 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Bringing in the slides 101 or "Duh!"

Faced with my new leak in the bedroom slide and summer rainy season arriving, I decided the best I could do right now is bring the slide in when I leave and when it rains.

So I have been doing this for the past week. Yesterday I came home to find a very large spider taking a nap on my bed. The pillow to be exact.

This is when I had my "Well, Duh!" moment. I always check the top of my slides before bringing them in for travel, but mainly to keep debris from jaming them or affecting the seal. I never really thought about the aspect of bringing critters in.

So my little plan has just gotten more complicated. If I don't get on a ladder and check the top of the slide before bringing it in everyday, then any little critters (or big critters) that may be resting up there in the shade of the awning topper will be getting a trip into a cozy air conditioned 5th wheel with lots of little places to hide in.

I'm probably the only one this never occured to, until now, but just in case I thought I might mention it.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had a big load of hackberry moths get in that way when in Colorado last year. Took us three days to get rid of them all. There were a ton of them. A bunch I thought we'd killed and dumped in the trash can came flying out of the can next day when we opened the lid so had to swat them all over again. Thanks for the headsup.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Fla, I know you've been having this problem with leaks, but I was wounderlng if you knew exactly where the water were coming in? If so could you cover that area with plastic and duct tape until you get to the dealer?
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Just148,

I covered the whole side of my current Montana before Keystone took it back to to the factory in March to fix the leaks. At this point I'm not willing to do that again. Partly because I would be too embarassed again and partly because of the fond memories of trying to get the duct tape off the sides after it had baked itself on in the sun.

The bedroom leaks in the same place my old unit leaked and no one was ever able to figure out where the water was coming in on that one. I'm not sure what Keystone plans to do this time around and I personally can't deal with it until I move next week. But I am way beyond the mindset of towing her 130 miles to the dealer for a fix.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #5
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
fla native,
I know how you feel, I'm about to pull my rig 2400 miles to get it fixed. Water leaks are about the only thing I haven't had and I am thankful. Hope they get you fixed and dry.
Montana_1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Thanks for the info fla native and Steve, thats good to know info. I had never thought of critters homesteading via the slides (tops)before.
Where do you see the leaks show up on the bedroom slide, I have not exposed my new rv to the heavy rains yet. it sits under cover until ready to use and the 4 times we have used it, no leaks yet.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:32 AM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Wow! Thanks for the post! Now I know how I got all those lady bugs inside our 5er during a Niagra Falls trip two Falls ago!

While we were there, we saw a lot of ladybugs outside but not inside the 5er. Then when we got home, we found that we had ladybugs inside and it took forever to get rid of them. (Found some for at least a year afterwards.) I must have brought a bunch of them inside with the slides when I broke camp!

Certainly something to check in the future!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Kenny,

The current bedroom slide leak shows up on the floor between the wood sliding door by the bed and the bed and on the floor between the bed and closet. Although this is the first time it ever leaked on the closet side.

Craig,

Yep! I bet those LadyBugs road right in on the slide.

It's a good idea after a heavy rain feel around on the carpet where it meets the walls. Ask me how I know this?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Just an idea, maybe a quick shot of some kind of bug spray just minutes before you pull it in would help. I know you would have to get up on a ladder or truck, but you wouldn't have the surprise of unwanted guests.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fla native

It's a good idea after a heavy rain feel around on the carpet where it meets the walls. Ask me how I know this?
Ok, I'll ask, "how do you know this"? Is it a lot of water or just a small amount? Any amout of water is bad but just wondering.

Our seals around the slides are pretty tight, the bugs are coming in on the slides and not falling off when the slide is coming in? We have had to pack up camp during rain storms 3 or 4 times now and the seals work quite well to rid the slide of the excess rain water.

Big spider... you can put that in the category of snake... NO THANKS!
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #11
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
fla native , thanks, Ill keep an eye on that. along with critter invasion, Im sure they are not happy campers after getting mushed and drug under that slide seal. They might be a bit aggitated.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #12
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Melissa,

I am not talking about water coming in from bringing in the slide, I'm talking about rain. As far as feeling around for leaks. Well you tell by if the carpet is wet or not. Heavy leaks are obvious, you can see the carpet getting wet.. Not so heavy takes feeling around on the carpet. I know this because I have had my share of leaks and began to think. "Where else might it be leaking". That's how I found the leak under the Jacknife sofa in my previous unit.

Flastro,

I think the seals probably do a pretty good job of keeping most critters from getting in but there are those, that I believe can and do, survive the little ride under the seal.

I have been thinking about this today and thought about trying to design some type of pvc pole with an elbow that has another piece of pvc (about half the length of the top of the slide) attached to it with a dust mop head on the end for wiping across the top of the slide to avoid the getting out the ladder.

I could call it the "slide swiper".
Old 06-23-2004, 12:36 PM   #13
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My parents had a little tree frog "ride the slide" on their MH. the little bugger gave the cat something to do whilr travelling. The cat is a little twisted though, she thinks love bugs are candy. Mating season is a 2 for 1.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, any idea how expensive those vacuum cleaner hose tube things might be? The kind you can add more to the end of since one fits inside the other? Sounds like that might be a good way to build a longer pole and still be able to easily break it down for storage. I'd be interested in what you come up with.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #15
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Steve,

Good idea! When I lived in my brick and mortar, I had high ceilings and needed extra hose extensions. I found them in yard sales. If I could get an elbow that fit the vacum hoses I might be able to make it more portable. I was thinking with the pvc to make "flip joints" along the length. Remember those old "yard sticks" that fliped out. Something like that.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Fla, after reading your response I left work looked at my unit, what I found was a down spout on both side of the bed room behind the seals. I would bet that when it rain water does not exit and only roll back into the floor area. Fla, look behind both side seals at the bottom on the outside and see if you can move the seal back from the down spout. Hope this will help.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fla native

Just148,

I covered the whole side of my current Montana before Keystone took it back to to the factory in March to fix the leaks. At this point I'm not willing to do that again. Partly because I would be too embarassed again and partly because of the fond memories of trying to get the duct tape off the sides after it had baked itself on in the sun.

The bedroom leaks in the same place my old unit leaked and no one was ever able to figure out where the water was coming in on that one. I'm not sure what Keystone plans to do this time around and I personally can't deal with it until I move next week. But I am way beyond the mindset of towing her 130 miles to the dealer for a fix.

Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Just 148,

Interesting you should mention that particular slide seal design. This was a design flaw when they took it back to the factory for the first leak. The "spouts" did not come all the way to the bottom of the slide and the seals did partly cover it. That has since be redone and the seals are not blocking the spout in any way.

I have wondered why the bedroom slide seals are so different, on this unit, from the other slide seals. The two other slide seals go past the bottom of the slide and fit very tight. No down spouts. I have emailed Keystone with this question and have yet to recieve a reply.