Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Outlets

Yesterday, I installed an outlet on either side of the bed and one in the front storage area. Now Vickie has an outlet for her phone charger that is convenient for her. She's happy so I'm happy.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Got to keep the ladies happy! Good additions.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of these days, if I'm parked next to you guys who know electricity I want to do that also. Basically I only know enough about RV type electricity to be dangerous.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Come back to Tonopah, with Joyce's art and Sue's Jewelry we can work up a trade, I can use a good apprentice...
Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
How do the professionals install extra outlets other than tapping into a breaker which is already in use? Unable to add more breakers.
Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow, no place to add breakers? My power distribution panel has plenty of more spaces to add the breakers! It's running the wires that would be the difficulty for me. For example:

If you really want to add more breakers, you need to get a larger power distribution panel that provides the extra spaces. Then you'll need to purchase the breakers and run the wires and install the outlets. That's the part that gives me the eebie-jeebies (sp). Not the understanding of it, but snaking the wires.

Just remember it is not all the circuit breakers and all the extra wiring and outlets that will give you trouble, it's trying to use all of them at the same time since you only have either 30 amps or 50 amps!

You guys really missed what NCFishers was getting at! Vickie now was an outlet for her charger, but Jim also has an outlet on his side of the bed for his electronic gizmos AND a new outlet in the storage bay for who-knows-whatever-else. Yup, I know how the man is really thinking! DW has to gain a little benefit to work on the big benefit for him.

Very nicely done, Jim!

In my case, her side of the bed already has on outlet and I must "suffer" because there isn't one on my side and the one in the storage area requires I remove a panel to share the dual outlet for the converter. Maybe I should just make a hinged panel door flap. Nah, too much work, I'll use extension cords like I've been doing. Ozz, please stop me, I'm starting to argue with myself again.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Not my MOS.. You are doing fine, always on point and entertaining.
Weldon, analyze the circuit you may be tapping into, many times when you need bed-time power, other loads are not being used. Do you use the washer circuit? Or dryer? Obviously, it is best to have a dedicated bedroom, basement circuit, but we make do when...camping...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I need a larger converter in order to install more breakers. I did a no no I am sure when I added a receptacle to be used mainly with a electric heater. In doing so, I connected to the a/c breaker. My thought was that I would never use both at the same time. Ozz, is connecting to a existing receptacle safer than connecting to a breaker already in use as I did?
Thanks, Art & Ozz
Old 07-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think you did the wise thing connecting to the A/C breaker, good logic.
I am confused about the converter statement.
As far as safety is concerned, the thing you need to remember is the wire supplying the circuit is mostly a smaller gage wire for lighting circuits, only 15 amps on the breaker, and a 14 ga. wire. You connected to a 12 ga wire and a 20 amp breaker, nothing wrong with that, with your use.
The general rule is to not connect to an existing circuit, or outlet as they are usually loaded up, but with our trailers, we blur that line a little at times.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Ozz,
I made the comment regarding the converter because the one I have only has, I think 5 breakers and they are all in use. There does not seem to be a way to add to my existing converter. Totally understand your comments regarding wire size.
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Weldon,
Your converter and your circuit breaker panel are two entirely different things.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Thunderman

How do the professionals install extra outlets other than tapping into a breaker which is already in use? Unable to add more breakers.
Thanks!
Weldon,
You do not state your year of your unit. I helped one MOC member with his converter and remember it was all included with the circuit breakers and 12 volt fuses. Is that why you can not add more circuit breakers? If so I believe you have only a 30 amp power cord.
Just trying to clarify your configuration to help others answer your questions.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
randerson1
Established Member

M.O.C. #11585
Jim,

On our 2011 3850RL the circuit breaker panel and the converter are all in one enlcosed unit within the bathroom above the toilet. Even though they are completely separate products, they're sharing the same enclosure and could be easily mistaken as 'one' product.

On another note, congrats on the outlet upgrades! I posted a question a number of days ago about adding outlets on the bed pedestal for CPAPS and just completed the same thing you did this weekend. I added 2 outlets to the bed pedestal off of the unused dryer ciruit and one in the basement on the driver's side off of the existing basement outlet. The DW is happier and that makes my life much better! Thanks to all who gave me advise on adding the outlets and good luck to everyone who plans on adding them in the future!

Randy
randerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
John,
The unit is 2003, definitely 50 amp....the converter and 12 volt fuses are located below the pantry. There are 6 breakers and 11 fuses, the unit is marked Magnetek 7345 converter-charger 45 amp. and does appear to be one unit. There are 2 other "large" breakers installed before wiring gets to the converter. These are labeled Main and A/C...not to be confused with the small breakers labeled main and a/c. in the converter-charger.
Appreciate the help!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #15
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

One of these days, if I'm parked next to you guys who know electricity I want to do that also. Basically I only know enough about RV type electricity to be dangerous.
Yeah, but after the first couple of fires you get the hang of it...
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

Yeah, but after the first couple of fires you get the hang of it...
[/quote]

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are also one of the reasons I have insurance.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Also just as a side note: never run a 3 wire circuit in the 5er. That is where you run a 14/3 and connect the black and red wires to separate breakers and use the common neutral. On a 50 amp circuit it's ok but when you plug into a 30 amp power pole you run the risk of having 30 amps on the 15 amp neutral. (big problem). Just a thought.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #18
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Smart man!
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

Also just as a side note: never run a 3 wire circuit in the 5er. That is where you run a 14/3 and connect the black and red wires to separate breakers and use the common neutral. On a 50 amp circuit it's ok but when you plug into a 30 amp power pole you run the risk of having 30 amps on the 15 amp neutral. (big problem). Just a thought.
When this is done they must be tied to a double pole breaker with a tie bar between the handles..
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #20
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Two wires under one breaker is not good electrical practice. A greater chance of it getting loose and causing problems.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote