Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
Richard Wallace

M.O.C. #11353
Best route through BC Canada to Alaska

Best route from Prince George BC...How is the Cassiar Hwy?

Richard Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
We came down the Cassiar Hwy last August and I did not think it was that bad considering the entire trip. Most of it was paved. I would guess there was maybe 20-30 miles of gravel. We ran into more miles of unpaved roads being repaired in other places. The traffic did have to deal with delays due to fires at the time we came through.
You will need to be careful and keep a look out for Frost heaves in Canada and Alaska. They can be a killer to your suspension and other in coach things.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
dustinc02
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4877
We just made the trip to Alaska last week. We came north on 97 through Prince George to route 1 into Watson Lake then into Alaska. Road had several frost heaves but were well marked with red flags and proper markings throughout Canada. Slow goings from Haines Junction to the Alaska border. ( 5 mph - 10 mph for hours) Due to the frost heaves and overall poor conditions of the asphalt. We took our time and had no problems. I am here in Alaska now parked next to a gentlemen who traveled here about the same time and traveled the Cassiar Highway and said that it was horrible. He broke several items within his coach and was "Crawling" due to the poor conditions. He even said that he will either sell his 5th wheel here in Alaska or ferry it back vs. driving the Cassiar again. This is early yet in the season and the frost heaves will settle a bit. I would not hesitate to do it again, just take it slow over the rough sections. I was pulling a fully stocked 3400RL with a 2500HD Duramax. Drive within your comfort level and you will be fine. One of the best road trips in the country. IMHO
dustinc02 is offline   Reply With Quote