Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Baltimore to NY via NJ Turpike

Hello:

We will be in the Baltimore area in early April and plan on traveling North on I-95 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge on to the NJ Turnpike.

We will need to get over to the NY Thruway (I-87N)to go to Saugerties, NY

I am looking for a recommendation getting onto New York Thruway from the NJ Turnpike

Is the Garden State Parkway an option or should we pick I-287 to I-87 ?

Looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance

rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I would go exit 10 and follow signs for 287n [thru tolls bear left]
follow it up to 87north ,at the top you'll bear left onto 87 n lots of campers go that way longer but less heck tick. New Jersey tpk to 80 west to 17n is shorter and quicker if you are a dare devil like aggressive drivers.

The Garden State Parkway is not an option.

see linkhttp://billingsgazette.com/news/loca...cc4c002e0.html
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
I agree with cmp-shooter. I have traveled on the Garden State with my MH pulling a jeep and had no problems but you get a lot of tolls. I know MH's can use the
Garden State but I don't think camp tralilers can. The Jersey Tpk can be a zoo also especially the further north you go and exit 10 is the best place to get off the turnpike. I now go the way camp-shooter explained when heading home to Ct. from N.C. I turn right on 287, cross the bridge and head down to Ct....anything to avoid New York City and the Washington Bridge...it's a nightmare (besides some of the potholes could bury a small car). Good luck and a safe trip
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ray,
I plotted the miles from Baltimore to Saugerties, NY and come up with about 289 miles. If you are south of Baltimore and have to use the Key bridge because Propane is not allowed in either tunnel you have a $9 toll for truck and trailer combination. You then have a $23 toll for the northern part of I95 in MD to DE.

I next plotted your route from Baltimore to Harrisburg up I83 and then I81 north to Scranton where you take I84 east. This mileage is 335 miles. This adds about 50 miles to your trip but cuts the MD tolls let alone the ones in NJ and around the NYC area. If you get 10 mpg towing the added 50 miles is 5 gallons. At $5 a gallon that is $25 more which is less than the tolls to get out of MD.

That is the route I would consider and not as congested.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
John:

We are spending 5 days at Cherry Hill RV Park in College Park, MD on our way home from FL ..

I love your logic and will probably take the route you suggested.

I was trying to "Never Go The Same Way Twice", but in this case - I will need too ..

Hope all is well, with you and Ann - We hope to see you in Maine in June

Ray
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ray,
I think John provides a good alternative based on where you'll be (DC area). Avoids the tolls and lots of traffic! Time your travel to avoid 495 and 695 in MD at rush hour. Piece of cake, after that. Enjoy the trip.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Unless things have changed, we used to take the Garden State Parkway pulling our pop up, and never had any problems. I guess we need to Google it and see what restrictions are before we try it with the Big Sky!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I just got off the New Jersey Turnpike Authority web site, looking specifically at the Garden State Parkway. It says that recreational vehicles, specifically trailers up to 40 feet, CAN be taken on the GSP, providing weather conditions are not insane. Tolls? You bet! But it is a possible route, should you rather go that way.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote