Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Adding a Macerator

We will be taking a job starting Sept. 1 where a the hook-ups require a macerator. We have a 2009 Montana 3585SA with a sewer boom and I am leaning towards the Clean Dump system. We'll need to run hose about 50 feet to the dump outlet.

So far all the photos/videos/instructions I have found on the Internet on installing a macerator in general seem more slanted towards motorhomes.

I'd like a unit that will allow use of either the macerator or the regular gravity hose system depending on where we are hooked up in the future.

Does this thing have to be mounted under the rig? Where did you run wires to get a power source? Looking for a least amount of dumping hassle with the macerator pump...don't really want to crawl under the rig every time to turn it on...or have a hassle if wanting to use the regular gravity system/hose at a different campsite.

So! Anyone out there with one of these critters able to give me some insight on installation, tips and tricks in general? I am still doing research on the Internet and will be calling a dealer near where we are going to talk to them about installation, etc.

Thanks a bunch! We love our home on wheels!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I am using a FloJet macerator and pumping 135' over level ground.
For your application I would use 3/4" hose and a 90 degree clear elbow. The macerator fastens to the sewer pipe just like the regular hose. I leave mine in place for extended stays but it is not a permanent installation. I have a 12 volt external power supply (the kind you can use to jump start a car) The unit comes with about six feet of wire with push button controls.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Virtually all larger boats have macerators...check the marine stores for the hardware and instruction options. Look here: www.westmarine.com Cheaper: www.defender.com
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
For 6 months a year in NH we use a Macerator and have for 5 years now.
The gray runs out to a dry well.
When the tank needs pumping, I hook the pump to a 90 degree elbow and put it on the outlet. I have installed a gate valve in the outlet pipe.
What I did for power is run a hot and ground wire from the battery, I have it mounted on the kitchen slide. I put a different type of plug and receptical, it had a ground then the out two are right and left angle, No other plug would/could be plugged into it.
I pump the black tank into (2) 55 gallon drums plumbed together on a utility trailer. I haul it to a campground in town about every three weeks.
Good luck
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I carry 100 feet of 3/4" rubber hose as well as about 25 feet of 1/2" hose and a macerator. I've used this setup several times and it works fine. I mounted the macerator on a 1 ft X 8" piece of particle board. I also mounted a switch and a 15 amp auto fuse on the board. I use about 15 feet of wire from the macerator setup to the + and + posts on the batteries. Have had no problems and I see no reason to make a permanent installation.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
Cees1camping

M.O.C. #10615
I will second what CmdrDewey is using and we ran the power like carlson did We got our Flojet pump at Camping World(they had a great sale on them). Over a year now and no troubles, just make sure the pump gets the amps it needs! We also have a spare impeller on hand.Also, when you twist the adapter on the dump outlet, make sure it turns all the way and locks before you pull the valve handle! Don't ask how I know that!!
Cees1camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Another vote for the Flojet portable macerator pump. have used one regularly for two years to dump the rig at home. Buy some spare 20 amp auto fuses, sooner or later you will blow one. The fuse is in the handle with the on/off switch. If you will twist the impeller a few turns before you start it you will blow less fuses. Use a clear adapter so you can see(UUUHHH) what's coming out and when you are done, and the bigger diam(3/4") hose, works the motor less. CW may not be the best price, check Tweety's, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #8
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks to all who responded!

Ordered the portable Flojet system from Tweety's yesterday. Have used Tweety's before.

Cheers!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We use a FloJet with a clear ninty and then a five foot sewer hose. That way we have no vibration on our plumbing. We can pump over 150 feet.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Another vote for the Flojet. We use ours everytime we visit our daughter and have used it a lot when visiting relatives on the farm.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Buy a extra clear 90 degree elbow, every once in a while, it catches off center and snap a ear on the 90.
Nothing worse than a broken ear when you need to pump and have full tanks.
E. Sven
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I got a push pull switch from West marine and its in the area with the other valves etc. and the Flojet is mounted on the frame. I also got a spin off cover from West and cut a hole in the side of the apron (the metal side has space behind it) and I store the hose in there. It is the best thing I ever added......you will need a GOOD hair catch so it doesn't get wrapped on the impeller!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #13
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks for the tip about the hair strainer. We have those already in the kitchen sink for food, one in the lavatory sink and one in the shower. They do work!