Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We need electric heat

Our previous SOB had a furnace and a heat pump. Our current Montana only has a furnace. We are discovering that we are roaring through propane, and unable to use the electricity we are paying for at RV Parks. What is the solution? We notice that many have put in fireplaces, but in our 3075RL, we can't see any place to add one. The TV appears to be over where the furnace is located. Also the central vacuum is under the TV. We could possibly relocate the central vacuum if there is enough room behind there to add a fireplace. Does anyone know how much room is available below the TV in the Montana 2010 3075RL? Or is there another possible solution?
Thanks for all replies, Dick and Sharon

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We've had several Rv's with fireplaces. Remember that the fireplace runs off a 20 amp circuit breaker and is limited to its amperage. A small ceramic heater uses the same amount of electricity and runs off a 20 amp plug. They will both use about the small amount of electricity as shown on a Kill-A-Watt meter.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Hugh, thanks for the response. We think you are referring to a space heater. We have one, but were trying to think of something safer that we could leave on when we were away or sleeping at night.
Dick and Sharon
Old 04-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have a 1500 watt ceramic occilating heater we bought at Wallmart. Been keeping us warm for several years. Just remember to run only one other big item with it, microwave, hair dryer, water heater etc. Sometimes we have to cut it down to low 750 watts to keep from getting too warm.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by footloose

Hugh, thanks for the response. We think you are referring to a space heater. We have one, but were trying to think of something safer that we could leave on when we were away or sleeping at night.
Dick and Sharon
Oil filled radiator? We have one and I feel it heats much better that the small space heaters of which we also have two. The radiator is very stable when standing on the floor and causes us no worries about it being left alone or at night.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
In my 3075RL I ran a #10/2 with grnd, wire from a seperate breaker in the electrical panel to a new plug I installed in the kitchen cabinet under the counter fold out extension. Plug in my ceramic htr and stay toasty warm. Doesn't appear to interfere with any of the other plugs. The size of the breaker for the heater is 20 amp. The heater size is 1500 watts.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We also use free standing electric heaters to keep us warm. We do NOT leave them on while we are out and about. We do run them at night, every night.

Seems to me that a few years back someone here on the MOC did a study of cost of heating with propane vs electric heaters. Depending on cost of both, what my ole leaky memory remembers is that the price was pretty close, surprisingly.

But, of course, with electric you don't have to tote those heavy bottles to the local propane dealer.

That said, we had to clean our electric heaters this past winter. Al took and blew them out with compressed air. Not sure just what else he did. You should also wash out any of those sponge type filters. Get that dust outta there. It was so bad on one of ours that it kept overheating the unit and shutting it down. We were ready to go buy a new one, he cleaned, and we saved enough to have a nice dinner out!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We are learning from all your great answers. Sounds like a dedicated outlet would be beneficial. Ceramic and oil-filled are interesting. Does anyone have a heater that is safe to mount to the wall? We are always looking to use our space as efficiently as possible.
Dick and Sharon
Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I have been wanting to install an electric wall heater that uses a small squirrel cage fan, (it looks like a regular furnace wall register) and mount it under the bottom step where the RV furnace inlet is. On our 3000RK the power supply is near. A friend who has a sob has a heater like this installed from the factory, an it works great and is quiet. Actually I believe the heater itself is like the heater in the fireplace. Keep warm.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
One thing most people don't know about electric space heaters is that they all pretty much make the same amount of heat. The little desktop models make the same amount of heat as great big fancy ones.

The thing to look for is the wattage rating. Usually 1500 or 1800 watts.

Last winter we heated our 29 foot Puma TT with one electric space heater sitting on the kitchen counter. Except for the very coldest of days.

The desktop models are safer because you are less likely to knock it over.

The main differences between models is radiant heat or convective heat. Radiant heat heats the things around the heater. And you can usually recognize them by the hot glowing coils with some kind of reflector behind them. I would never use one of these. If you get it too close to something it can heat that something up too much.

The safest ones have a blower and they heat the air as it passes through and blows it out. The heated air usually can't heat anything nearby up enough to set it afire. And they usually don't have any hot spots to catch anything on fire if it falls on them.

Honeywell makes the best ones.

(I've worked for Honeywell for the last 10 years.) No, I don't make Honeywell electric heaters.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
We have always used a 1500 watt portable electric heater in our unit to keep it comfortable inside. If it is cold enough outside we will use it day and night to maintain a certain temperature inside, but we will turn it down at night. If it is extremely cold where we are we will also use the gas heater along with the electric. We will use them in combination or the electric only depending on how cold it is where we are.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Well, after hearing how many of you are using portable 1500 watt space heaters (which we have), maybe I can convince my DW that it is safe. I feel it is perfectly safe. It has a shutoff if it tips over. She has read that space heaters aren't safe, thus looking for something else.
Dick
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Dick,

If you have the washer/dryer prep in your 3075, like we do, but do not have the washer/dryer you have a 20 amp circuit dedicated for that use that can be used for a portable heater.

We had the 1500 watt heat strip put in our air conditioner which we can also use for heating up to a point. Many do not have great faith in the air conditioner heat strip but we have found that in our case it does what we anticipated it would.

Also, I believe most of the newer models of space heaters are really very safe. Most have the tip over shut off and if kept away from items should present no problems.

Hope you find a good solution.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I did the same as ole dude I went to Home Depot and got a 30 amp square D sub pannel box and ran two receptcals 1 in the bed room and 1 in the front room they are in no way part of the trailers power sorce I run that off the 30 amp plug on the service tower 30 amp plug, and the trailer on the 50 amp plug. I dont full time so I dont get charged the meter rate as they do, which could get expensive for them. but weighing the cost of propane to electricty which one wins,
Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
I have an extension cord just for the purpose running an extra electric heater since I often am at campgrounds with just 20 and 30 amp service. I plug that cord into the 20 amp then thru the convenience center. There I have 6 foot heavy duty cord to the landry basket and there plug in my small heater which I can then set in Kitchen or bedroom. I also made some modification so I can plug the microwave in to the extension cord at the convenience center during hot weather and the Air is running and I am on 30 amp service. Haven't tripped the pole breakers near as often any more. I much prefer the electric heat from my small heater and fireplace since is even and quiet. It is also cheaper for me since I am not a long termer yet so never have been on a meter.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I posted my electric built-in heater just now, it seemed to solve all the problems listed. This along with the fireplace saves turning on the Propane furnace. I installed a fan switch on the furnace to run it when I want to circulate the electric heat through the ducting.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #17
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Footloose, You asked about placing a fireplace in your 3075. On my 08 3075 the water heater is below the TV. I looked into placing a fireplace in that space as we do not have the central vac. There is no room even if the fireplace was allowed to stick out some from the wall and just clear the slide. We too use a couple of electric heaters. We did buy one of the small electric fireplace looking stoves but it is heavy and takes up alot of space.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have used space heaters and still have two small ones. However we do have two fireplaces and we use them during the day/night if needed but at night when temps drop we use the furnace to keep the basement compartments, water pipe etc. Ozz did a great mod and has posted it. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
What great answers, solutions and suggestions. Oz, your mods are great, but a bit ambitious for us -- unless you happen to be in our neighborhood! Just kidding. Knowing we can't fit the fireplace in our 3075 under the TV because of the hot water heater is a big help and saves pulling out things to explore. The suggestion to use the washer/dryer prep plug is outstanding. Never would have thought of that. Another thing we hadn't considered is the good idea to use both of the 30 amp AND 50 amp plugs on the service tower -- as mentioned this might also be a good idea for running the microwave and AC's when the power of the RV park is poor. We've decided to park ourselves for a month to outwait the weather here in the northwest, so probably will be using propane as we are on an electric meter. When we get back on the road we'll use our space heater (DW is OK with it now thanks to your comments) and maybe add another one as well -- perhaps oil-filled or ceramic.
Thanks again MOC community,
Dick and Sharon
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We have a 3075 and use an oil filled rad and have been satisfied with it. We have a smaller one to use in the bedroom when temp gets very low. I also have put in an extension to the outside running from the convenience centre to a wall outlet I installed beside the vacuum (under the TV) to plug into the post 20 amp outlet. This is handy especially when we are on 30 amp service.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote